PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Fluid (Hoot's Question)

chuntag95
10-09-2002, 12:06
Hoot,

Yes, I put the TransD in the Transfer case. The fluid was darker than that that came out of the transmission and it looked similar in color to the TransD. Since it recommends DexIII and the TransD is better, I used it. Overkill?? Yes, probably, but for only 2 quarts or $14 I'll take the synthetic security. A friend once told me my motto should be "Why use 2 screws when 4 will do!" :D tongue.gif :D I am famous for overkill as I error on the side of caution .... always. Engineer thing. Character flaw sometimes, but I have only been stranded once and that was someone else's mistake. (Condenser wire grounded on distributor on a new engine.) Let me know if you know some info that I goofed.

:eek: Only about 400 miles since the change.

Maverick
10-09-2002, 12:22
I would think that it would be OK. been running Amsoil Syn. ATF in my transfer case. Whats the difference.

hoot
10-09-2002, 12:26
"but I have only been stranded once and that was someone else's mistake."

I made a mistake one time five years ago...
I thought I made a mistake but I was wrong.....

All kidding aside... (I make mistakes everyday),

I just was wondering if it's good to use synth in the xfer case. Sometimes overkill is not good if it's the wrong stuff. Don't let me scare you. Someone else will probably chime in. I would bet it's a good thing and if we determine that, I may do the same. My next tranny fluid change is due.

chuntag95
10-09-2002, 12:47
From purely a specifications standpoint (engineer bable again), there should be no issues as Transynd meets and/or exceeds all of the specifications for the Dex III fluid, what GM specifies. From a logic stantpoint, :rolleyes: (here we go again) since the fluid looked darker, it had more contaminants in it, which says it is being used in a harsher environment plus there is a limited fluid supply without the benifits of filtration. I would want to put the best stuff I can find in it. Now, I have not seen a one to one comparison between Amsoil and Castrol Transynd. I imagine some of the $28 a gallon for Transynd is due to the additional warranty you can get from Allison if you put it in your heavyduty applications. JMHO on that. I know that Amsoil has a garanty on there product as well and will stand behind it. I would think either is fine and I am sure if there were failures related to either, we would have heard about it hear first. Just to cover all sides :rolleyes: tongue.gif :D another way to look at it would be since there is not filtration, and it's only 2 quarts, change it every 15K with regular Dex III and be done with it. smile.gif So, in summary, there are 3 different ways to look at this. If you are retentive about maintenance (like me and 99% of the other people here on TDP), you are going to take care of the truck and do maintenance based on how much you abuse it. If you are going to beat it, not take care of it and sell it, you probably aren't going to spring for synthetic anyway. I heard of a person who traded there car off every 2 years with about 30K miles on it. Never did any maint. including oil changes. I'd hate to get one of those vehicles. :eek:

Thanks for reading the transfer case fluid version of "War and Peace" :D

hoot
10-09-2002, 13:07
I'm convinced.

chuntag95
10-09-2002, 13:15
Hoot,

Didn't mean to wear you out. I get a little long winded talking specs and do the right thing for your equipment. My soap box, so to speak. :D

I will be sure to post if I blow it up ;)

On a completely different note, my first tank of fuel after getting the 3 injector sleeve leaks fixed jumped up over 1 mpg. Can't wait to get it on a long highway trip. I should bust 20 easy. :cool:

hoot
10-09-2002, 18:56
Wear "me" out? :eek:

Maverick
10-09-2002, 22:25
I just changed the front and rear diff's, and the t-case today. They were all Amsoils. I had around 40K on the oils. The t-case syn ATF oil looked almost as good as the day I put it in. The diff 75w-90 series 2000 oil looked very good also. Not dark and somewhat clear looking. I believe this stuff really works as for 30K of those miles were 25K GCW or better. Gave the peppy engine a new batch of series 3000 5w-30 diesel syn oil also.

chuntag95
10-10-2002, 09:06
Mavrick,

Thanks for all of the fluid updates. I hope to have the same results you do. Have you done any analysis on your oil? I just sent some off, but haven't got data back yet.

Hoot,

I meant I was a bit long winded and your reply was short. Maybe you just gave up as I didn't think I was that convincing. :D Wish that would work with the wife :rolleyes:

hoot
10-10-2002, 09:43
No, I was serious. You convinced me. That's why I used the thumbs up symbol! :D