PDA

View Full Version : klunk, bad? u-joint

buelldude
10-09-2002, 13:46
Hey,
So has anyone had the klunking in there drive shaft when you take off and stop? It feels like a bad u-joint, the dealer says its the drive shaft and rearend. They said its when the two of them pull apart when I take off and when I stop they come back together. They put in some grease and it wasn't so bad, but it keeps coming back and this time its much worse.

BlackMax
10-09-2002, 13:52
It is the slip joint on the yoke binding. The dealer greased mine and it went away, however I expect it to come back when it gets dry again. They have a new yoke for the 1500 but they said it would not fit the 2500.

buelldude
10-09-2002, 19:12
I would like to know if this has been a problem why hasn't it been fixed, will it hurt to let it go. I was told by the same sorce that they all do it.

Maverick
10-09-2002, 22:33
I replaced my worn out u-joints in my 3500 already. It had more of a squeaky sound that would get faster as you went faster.

schnier
10-10-2002, 06:13
My 2001 has had a small bump, jerk, feel when you let off the brake at a complete stop, and step on the gas. It is associated with the transmission that will not shift to first until you release the brake pedal. If you drive with two feet you will see what I am saying, it will sometimes slam to first as I have read on this website. The trans does not down shift to first until you let off the brake. When the accelerator is applied for about 1/2 second it will lock up in first gear. I have tried this at stop signs and it seems to work. Keep your foot on the brake and accelerate and sometimes it will stay in second gear. Just my thought on the Heavy Duty transmission and how it is programmed to work. I have had all the program updates.

hoot
10-10-2002, 07:57
"My 2001 has had a small bump, jerk, feel when you let off the brake at a complete stop, and step on the gas."

schnier,

Do you have the big one piece driveshaft? Have you had the updates done?

Reason I ask is after I got the shaft ;) and updates, I also have the same little bump.

I get the feeling that to minimize the lopey idle they raised the idle rpm ever so slightly. just enough to put a little more preload on the drivetrain when you stop.

It's not the first gear drop some have complained of. I actually had the first gear drop early on when I first got the truck. That went away early on.

I think it's related to the new driveshaft and the updates.

schnier
10-10-2002, 08:16
No, I have the stock two piece drive shaft and it does not have the low gear shutter that some have felt. The only thing I have done to the drive train is run synthetic transmission fluid. I do have the lopey idle but the tech said it only moves 25 to 30 rpm from stock setting, and that is not enough to find a problem.

hoot
10-10-2002, 09:59
I'm posting this for a friend who cannot post anymore??? I thought anyone could post in the non-member forums????

I have had this problem since new I have 35k on the clock now. They finally found the problem, it is definitely the yoke sticking and unbinding on takeoff, greasing it fixes the problem, although only temporarily. Mine has just started doing it again.

Mark Guebert

dcpdave
10-10-2002, 23:29
what your'e feeling is probably called a "slip-stick" condition. it is coming from the slip yoke. there is a certain amount of normal play in the drivetrain, including the slip yoke. when the yoke spines stick, then release, the slack is taken up, and you get the noise. it is most noticeable on a somewhat hard stop, or start. there is a new nickel plated slip yoke available now for the 4l60e(1500), and the 4l80e(2500) transmissions. there is not one available for the allison. by taking the driveline off and greasing the splines, preferrably using a synthetic grease as it will last longer, it should quiet the noise. i have not seen any spine damage yet because of this condition. i haven't heard if g.m. is planning a new yoke for the allison yet. we haven't seen but a couple of the allisons doing this, i have installed several new yokes on the 1500's tho.
hope this helps,

buelldude
10-23-2002, 04:40
I think it went away??? I was on the road going home one day and had to race a f___(for letter word for junk? fill in the blank)and win. When I got off the main rd into my block it was stop and go and guess what, it was almost gone. I didn't feel as bad, still there but not near as bad? I'm going to grease it up and see what that does?????