PDA

View Full Version : Thin Skinned DuraMax?

odoh
05-20-2002, 12:28
After bringing the new truck home, I got out the Zaino Bros stuff to wash & wax it. Noticed that the sheetmetal seems soft/flimsy to the touch. Of course the roof seems to be the softest of all. The box issue has been discussed previously and I knew what to expect. Hopefully, the sprayin will help but the rest of the body ~ well, I'm disappointed. I've heard the Dodges were soft Guess I expected better from GM. Noticed during the drive home, the bug strikes had a tin/aluminum foil quality to the sound. ~ odoh

Barc
05-20-2002, 14:55
Sounds like you have yourself a sweet truck odoh! :D I have seen some similar posts here but my truck doesn't seem that bad?!! I have a Challenger cross-bed toolbox (gullwing) and have been watching for any signs of cracking or paint-peeling and there haven't been any. The truck is a year old now and has 65,000 kilometers on it (40,000 miles) I have noticed some chipping on the front of the hood and on the front edges of the mirrors but that's from flying rocks - likey doing 70-80 mph just because some jackass won't slow down!! Enjoy the ride!! :D

01_Duramax_Dually
05-20-2002, 14:58
Odoh,
Expect no better. The Big 3 are making their trucks thin skinned.They have to compensate for the 3000lbs of wiring and electronics. I would love to have this truck with the body panels made like a 60 Cadillac.
Then we would have a true TANK. It would probably weigh 10K lbs alone... :D

odoh
05-20-2002, 15:19
National Wx Service is issuing advisories for severe thunderstorms, funnel clouds and large hail. I knew I shouldn't have washed/wax it :rolleyes: Guess I've to move the missus car out of the garage so I can put the DuraMax w/it delicate complexion/skin in for hail protection :D :D ~ odoh

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

MAXed Out
05-20-2002, 17:43
Odoh,

If you're going to add a toolbox, rear window barrier, or ladder rack, don't forget to ask your dealer for the reinforcement kit as described in technical service bulletin #01-08-66-005A.

Thanks for the warning. I just heard it on the radio also. It would be a miracle if funnel clouds came over the Sierras! Hail on the other hand — I'm making a b-line for my garage!

What city do you live in?

ndamico
05-20-2002, 18:28
Odoh & Maxed Out - we don't offen gen weather like that in Norther Kalifornia! :eek: Tornado warnings? They only issue those once in a blue moon. I just got back from Sand Mountain (25mi east of Fallon, NV) early Sunday morning and woke up to this horrible weather. It's supposed to be 88 degrees and sunny right now :D

what does the "reinforcement kit as described in technical service bulletin #01-08-66-005A" do exactly (besides reinforce) and does the dealer give it to you for free??

And for what its worth, my Dmax is thin-skinned to. Even my '97 seem a bit thicker. Maybe is was all the mud on it tho smile.gif

odoh
05-20-2002, 22:28
MAXed ~ Just over the hump from you. Nearest city would be Auburn. They say wx will be around for awhile but it moderates normally after sundown.

I've seen pix of the(ugh!)brackets. They look kinda lo-tech IMO. I did have a Turbo Liner sprayed in. I requested extra thickness but the tech didn't agree until I explained the flimsy box.

This is all a part of the new millenium. I guess I'll need to get used to it but wonder just how far it will go tho. ~ odoh

White Knight
05-21-2002, 05:59
01_Duramax_Dually said:
"The Big 3 are making their trucks thin skinned.They have to compensate for the 3000lbs of wiring and electronics. I would love to have this truck with the body panels made like a 60 Cadillac. Then we would have a true TANK. It would probably weigh 10K lbs alone..."

The extra weight would probably drop our highway mileage down to the 18 to 19 MPG range.
;)

01_Duramax_Dually
05-21-2002, 07:46
White Knight,
:D ....You are right. Plus I bet with the extra weight it would tow even nicer... smile.gif

Odoh, MAXedOut and NDamico, what's up with this California weather??? Almost end of May and we are hit with Hail, Viscous Thunder Storms, Lightening, Flooding, Funnel Clouds, 1-2 feet of snow, temps in the 50's...HUH??? Something is wrong with this picture. My wife is blaming me since I also washed my truck on Saturday and the temp was in the 80's and the skies were Blue Blue Blue.....Did I miss something?

I feel like I live in Minnesota or something...Oooops sorry SoMnDMAX... :D

OH well, the Midwest should see this mess by Saturday so here it comes Fella's....

konacat
05-21-2002, 10:22
Odoh,

I did not realize how thin skinned these trucks were until I did a walk around with my dealer. He warned me not to press down on the hood when closing it as it may bend or crease the hood. Give me a break, all this money on a HD machine and the dealer tell you to be careful closing the hood. Oh Well, as long as it chugs down the road and pulls my 12,000lb trailer.

MAXed Out
05-21-2002, 10:50
ndamico,

According to the TSB, the reinforcement kit is available as an option. This being said, I believe there would be a charge for the kit.

It consists of four L shaped brackets and screws that strengthen the four corners of the bed rails. After installing the kit, the maximum equipment weight capacities are increased to the following:

DmaxMaverick
05-22-2002, 02:51
I can't disagree with any of the complaints of the thin skin. I dinged my bed rail on my first tow trip a year ago. Also gotta couple "Wal-Mart parking lot" door dings :mad: Realistically, the paint has held up very well. I think it's thicker than the sheet metal.

It's easy enough to figure why, though. They had to shave some metal somewhere, and it went into the frame, springs, and tranny. It's a good thing we have aluminum heads, or the sheet metal would be transparent :eek: