PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with headlights

trout49
10-10-2002, 09:24
Just got back from a camping trip to Wyoming. Had a great time. The truck pulled like nothing I have ever driven before. This is my first diesel. Stopped in Iowa and had a Kelderman air bag suspension installed. It reay improved the ride.
Now to the problem. My truck was parked, locked and all buttoned up. one night I woke up and saw alot of light comming through the windows. I looked out and my headlights were on. Dressed, went outside and the truck was still locked!!! I unlocked it and checked the light switch it was on auto where it should be. I messed with the light switch and could NOT get the headlights to turn off. The only way I could get them to turn off was to start the engine and shut it down. Then the lights went out. Went back inside looked out 20 min. later and they were on again!!! Ran through the same drill, start engine shut off. This time they stayed off the rest of the night. Two days later the same thing happened. Lights on fixed it the same way, start engine and shut down. Now when the lights were on thats ALL that was on. No running lights no dash lights,only headlights.
This has not happened since then, three weeks ago.Has anyone heard of anything like this? I did a search on headlights but didn't find anything like this. Dealer says can"t find a thing wrong.
I'm affraid one morning I'll go out and have a dead battery. Long post I know but thought need advice on where to start looking.

Bluerock
10-10-2002, 09:46
Trout49,
Though this doesn't address why or what caused the headlights to have a mind of their own...did you try pushing the domelight cancelling button 4 quick times to disable the auto headlight feature (listen for the chime)?

trout49
10-10-2002, 10:00
No that didn't come to mind since it was the headlights that were on. But I will try that if it happens again. I thought it might have something to do with the 2003's having less wiring and more circuit boards. You know, less hard wiring and more electronics to control everything.

mackin
10-10-2002, 13:12
Do the 03 come with courtesy exterior lighting???I know say in my car at night if I hit the remote to unlock doors all exterior lights illuminate (head lights and reverse lights)......Once the key is turned or with in a few minutes the go out.....In addition they stay on after shutting it off to illuminate walk way....
So perhaps what I'm saying is, is your DOG stepping on your remote while you sleep???May be it's his hint, YO I got TO TAKE A LEAK get up.........Or maybe your dreaming of going for a ride in that truck in the drive way and sleep walking, reaching for the fob and unlocking the doors......
Hey it's just an idea........LOL

MAC

trout49
10-10-2002, 14:00
Perhaps you're right, it was a subconscious need to drive my fat bottomed girl, and the lights were not really on after all.
HOLD THE PRESSES!!! I'm at work and someone just popped into my office and told me I left my lights on!!! Called dealer and told them to get a guy over here while it's doing this strange thing. They said didn't know if they could today,awfull busy, but would try. I'll call them until they do. I have just GOT to know what it is. Will keep you posted. :eek:

Black Dog
10-10-2002, 14:03
It's posessed. Call father O'Malley for an exorcism.

TLA
10-10-2002, 14:11
I was thinking that it is aliens. Have you been to Roswell by chance?
Good luck!!!!

trout49
10-10-2002, 17:22
Well they came from the dealer, a kid all of 19 yrs old. He asked me for my keys and said "I can't shut off your lights". I'll take it back and see if they can figure it out. Well as I told him,if you start the engine and shut it off the lights go out. Sooooo as soon as you get there don't shut it off. Let them see them on.
Well guess what happened. As soon as he parked it he shut it down. And of course it wouldn't do it again. At least somebody else saw it. It might be another 3 weeks before it does it again.
Sure is a great truck, but maybe it is possesed!

battmain
10-11-2002, 11:06
Did the problem occur before the suspension was installed? It is possible that the suspension installers may have tapped into a wire that they should have left alone...

Brian

Mudflap
10-11-2002, 11:15
Hitting the dome light override four times will only work if the key is on, when you turn it off again, the system resets. Setting the E-Brake when you park the truck overrides the lights and should keep them from coming on until you release the brake even if you start the engine in the meantime. Otherwise good luck.

[ 10-11-2002: Message edited by: Mudflap ]</p>

Black Dog
10-11-2002, 11:20
There ya go. Maybe it's a "feature" designed to remind you to go back out and set your parking brake.

TxDoc
10-11-2002, 11:55
The 2003 models have a new switch that lets you override lights differently from years past. I wonder if the program is off that lets you set how long the lights stay on after you depart the vehicle? What time delay is it set on?

trout49
10-11-2002, 14:42
The truck had been parked all day, ( trans.in park not parking brake). When I went to bed I used the remote and locked the truck. The lights flashed and horn honked to verify. Then all lights were out. Yesterday when it happened It was in park and unlocked.The headlight delay is set for 30 sec.
It didn't happen today and may not for a few weeks. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the replies. If I do get this figured out I'll sure post the fix just in case anyone else has this trouble with their 2003.
Oh there was no wiring with the Kelderman suspension :confused:

battmain
10-15-2002, 10:51
"Oh there was no wiring with the Kelderman suspension "

So it's either a sealed air bag, or you air it up manually? There are still wires along the frame that may have been pinched or moved when the suspension was installed. The question is...did the problem happen before the suspension work? If it didn't, I'd suspect something along the lines of the suspension work. It could be something as simple as a harness not reconnected properly.