PDA

View Full Version : American Thunder-Dead Batteries

bryantch
12-16-2002, 16:39
I too had a problem with my '01 dmax with the batteries going dead. I tried everything and then took it in to the stealer (for this and many other problems). They had my truck for 6 days (including the weekend) and when I when I went to pick the truck up (at about 7pm on a monday) the service manager said they had fixed all of the other problems but did a parasytic (?) draw test on the batteries and they were fine. Then I was told that I had to pay for the battery test because they didnt find a problem and gm wouldnt warranty it($26)! I b#*&hed a bit and then payed them. Grabbed my keys and went out to leave and the truck was dead as a door nail! The tech that worked on the truck couldnt believe it! He said it started fine just 4 hours before.

Three days later I had a meeting with a gm zone rep and during the conversation the Service manager said that the only thing they could figure was that during the "cascade shutdown" of all the trucks systems that something wasnt shutting down. Of course it was an intermittent problem so it would be VERY difficult if not impossible to isolate.

I dont know what to tell you...this problem along with many others prompted the zone rep to replace my truck...and agree to let me get a gmc instead of the chevy (the ugly front end thing). the new truck should be in this week...hopefully an improved version of the 01!

hope this helps...

TXMAX
12-16-2002, 16:58
You can do the following to test for key off loads on your truck:

Using a multi-meter with the capability to read amperage, perform the following steps:

1. Turn power off to the meter.

2. Ensure the probes are in position on the meter to read DC amperage.

3. Break the circuit (usually this should be done at the system

bryantch
12-16-2002, 17:37
the problem is having the truck in the shop and/or having the equipment available to test the truck WHEN it happens...it doesnt happen on every shutdown. it happened to my truck 8 times in the last year. This is what makes it difficult. the dealer, nor gm are willing to pay a tech to baby sit the truck and wait for the problem to occur (heck i wouldnt either). fortunately it happened while in the dealers possession (still couldnt find the problem).