PDA

View Full Version : New calibrations and "Trussman's Syndrom"

LarryM
05-21-2002, 08:36
As I stated in my "fuel sensor" topic in the Duramax forum, the dealer told me there were no current calibration updates for my truck. I'm sure this is not right.

In this topic:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003061

part # 15175857 is referenced for providing new calibration to accomodate overdrive defeat switch and address 2-1 shift quality. It was not clear to me from reading this topic and others like it wether or not this new calibration would actually help with "Trussman's Syndrom".

I'm really wanting to reduce the constant downshifting and hunting when pulling my trailer and before I get in another fist fight with the service writer, I'd like to know if I'm fighting for the corrct update.

Any help here?

Buckman
05-21-2002, 14:24
LarryM

The part # you reference is indeed the correct calibration update for the 2001 truck. All of the folks I've spoken to that have gotten it have been pleasantly suprised. By the way, there are more items addressed by the calibration including that of shift busyness which was some of Trussman's complaint. Have your dealer update the transmission calibration and be sure to check for any update there might be for the Duramax. Based on what I've heard, I believe you be happy with the results. :D :D Keep us all posted as to the outcome. Happy motoring!!!

JF
05-21-2002, 16:51
"Trussman's Syndrome" ..... Trussman, your famous :D :D

pinehill
05-21-2002, 17:07
My '01 had a very bad case of Fishbite Disease, but proper treatment by Dr. Goodwrench kept it from developing into Trussman's Syndrome. :D :D :D

AzKevin
05-21-2002, 17:37
LarryM,

Out of curiosity which dealer are you working with?

LarryM
05-21-2002, 17:52
Buckman, thanks for the info.

The service writer insists that there is no update showing for my truck. He promised to look at it again when I go back for the new shocks in a couple days. He said if I give him the part number he can find it.

I'm concerned that the reports of improved shift busyness is from people that had ALL the updates done at once. There was an earlier update that I already have in place that did improve things a lot unloaded. I just don't want to start a fight over something that's not going to give me the results I need.

TBC
05-21-2002, 20:00
I had the busy shift problem in OD and went to the dealer after looking up the service bulletin on the Dept of Trans website. The bulletin number is 010730034. The dealer loaded it in about 30-45 min and I was gone with a better performing truck than the good performing one I went in with. My truck is a 2001 also and it sounds like yours was not loaded with the updated programming.

LarryM
06-07-2002, 09:03
Update:

Just returned from another 3000 mile tow. Just prior to the trip, I had the latest TCM software flashed in. At the same time, the dealer replaced a supposed defective fuel temp sensor.

The first 800 miles were a disaster. Constant shifting, much worse than ever before even though I was running 1500 pounds lighter than normal.

At one point, the thing would cycle between 5th and 4th every 6 seconds. I let it do that for a while just to see if it would recover on it's own, It didn't. This was going through Arizona and Utah with many long steep grades and air temperatures around 100

Buckman
06-07-2002, 12:07
LarryM

I would suggest that you have your dealer make sure that you have the most recent update for the Duramax. As I mentioned on my previous post, the PCM (engine) and TCM (transmission) both need to have the latest updates downloaded to realize the full effect of the calibration improvements on the 2001 D/A. This requires the dealer to perform two (2) individual operations on the vehicle to accomplish the full update.

Be sure to have this done and let us know the outcome. :confused: I've heard and read (here on the Diesel Page) nothing but good results when the vehicle was properly re-calibrated. Keep in mind that after your dealer has performed the recalibration that you will have to "drive-in" your vehicle to re-learn the shifts. ;) ;)

LarryM
06-07-2002, 12:27
Buckman:

I am certain as I can be that they did what they were supposed to do with out actually having done it myself.

The repair order had a complete description of what they did along with a description of the update. They may have just been telling me what I want to hear, but there is no way I can know without having a tech2 and computer access.

The 2-1 downshift has definitly changed. This alone would have me believe the update was done.

There may be some confusion about this because of the earlier PCM update for the cruise control downshift problem. If a truck never had that one done, and you ask for the latest software, BOTH updates will be done at the same time. The difference in downshifting under cruise control will be dramatic, but will be entirely due to the earlier software change.

Buckman
06-07-2002, 14:21
LarryM

If you don't mind, would you give me the VIN of your truck. I'll see if a acquaintance of mine can shed any light on the subject. From your description, it sound like the engine does not have the latest calibration update. :(

LarryM
06-07-2002, 19:05
Buckman,

Email me and I will supply the VIN. I'm reluctant to post the entire number here.

Thanks.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: LarryM ]</p>

Buckman
06-10-2002, 12:14
LarryM

E-mail your VIN to SteveO and he'll get it to me. You'll find him in the moderators list. smile.gif

LarryM
06-10-2002, 13:00
Buckman,

There is no email address listed for SteveO or any one else. The powers that be have decided to restrict that info. I tried searching back a year or so and didn't find his address in any of his posting either.

In 9 days I will be making another 3k run with the trailer. It would be nice to resolve this before then, but I have no idea how to communicate the necessary info to you.

More Power
06-10-2002, 13:32
Uh.... How about using the "Contact Us" link found at the bottom of every single forum page.

MP

LarryM
06-10-2002, 13:53
If I'm not mistaken, that's your email, More Power, and not SteveO's. I saw that and decided that it wasn't what I wanted.

mackin
06-10-2002, 14:49
LarryM,

No disrespect ... But go through the channels here and the wrath of connections here are in credible . They have certainly bent over backwards here to help some people out so I wouldn't just brush it off ...... Again, I mean no disrespect, just giving you some friendly heads up ..... That's all ........Jim (MP) would be the guy to most certainly ask for assistance .......
Good luck ........

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Vette Racer
06-10-2002, 15:27
LarryM

I have a 2002 crew cab 3500 D/A and when towing 10,000 lbs using cruise, it downshifts every time it drops 4 mph. This happens at every little hill. As I understand, this is the way GM has it set up. It would be nice if they would change the program to let it drop 10 mph before downshifting when in tow/haul. That would cure the problem. I've tried towing at different speeds (55 to 75)but it still does it. Guess it just needs a little "JUICE".

GMFAN70
06-10-2002, 16:18
To TBC

Please elaborate on your use of the Dept. of Transportation web site. I went there and read a lot summaries of 2002 TSBs but didn't gain any real information. Looks like it costs $35+ per labor hour (understandable) to get the details. Is that what you did?

I found mention of a "reading room" where we can supposedly download and print documents but couldn't find a door to the room! I'd appreciate any help 'cause I'd sure like to know what the current TSB's for my 2002 D/A are all about.

LarryM
06-11-2002, 12:40
Buckman.... SteveO.... Hello.....

I would really like to provide my VIN so that my problem could be investigated properly. Without some route that's less public than open forum, I don't know how to do that.

Email address, telephone number, snail mail address, anything semi-private, I don't care.

How about if I post the dealer and repair order number? maybe that would be enough?

Suggestions?

Colorado Kid
06-11-2002, 15:53
Here's an idea:

Jim "More Power" told you exactly how to do it. If he didn't want you so send a message to SteveO through him he would have said so.

Jim already has your e-mail address, so if you are super paranoid just send a message asking him to forward your address to SteveO. Then SteveO can get in touch with you, and nobody but him and Buckman will learn your VIN. Of course you've probably (assuming you're a member) also sent a credit card number to MP, so you might not mind trusting him with your VIN.

On the other hand you haven't made it very difficult to find your e-mail address (assuming it hasn't changed since 1998!), so one of them could have contacted you.

LarryM
06-12-2002, 17:20
After re-reading this entire topic, it appears like I need to do some fast typing.

From some of the responses, it seems that a few of my own replies appeared uncooperative. If so I apologize. I, in no way, meant to be uncooperative, disrespectful, or ungrateful. In my own defense, I must say that I have be a bit unfocused. As frustrating as this problem is for me, it's not a priority when compared to other issues I'm dealing with right now.

Buckman: More Power has kindly forwarded my VIN to SteveO. Thank you, More Power!

If I seemed critical of the no email/hyperlink/etc policy, again I apologize. I understand why this was done and support it 100%. However, like getting a tooth pulled, it ain't much fun.

AzKevin: the dealer is Brown & Brown, Mesa.

Colorado Kid: I posted a good email for myself and then went back and deleted it when it wasn't neccessary. I have had at least a dozen different email addresses since 1998, five or so went away when I retired last year. My current earthlink address gets whaled on pretty hard with spam and virus crap. My arrl address is much cleaner and my ASU address is text only. I have gotten in the habit lately of restricting the publication of these for the same reasons that More Power has.

I just got off the phone with the service writer. He called to follow up on my last visit. I explained to him what was going on with my truck and we agreed that I would bring it in Monday morning for them to look at again and check the updated software, etc. I would be really tickled if I could bring in some hard info for them to work with.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with me.

freestates
06-12-2002, 17:40
LarryM

Had the updates done about a month ago. The truck does much better. The dealer gave me a printout showing the history of all the software updates that have been done to my truck since day one. See if your dealer can do this for you and then you will know what you have and do not have.

Wayne

Colorado Kid
06-13-2002, 11:44
LarryM

I found two addresses for you, won't say how here, but I've sent you mail at both of them telling you how. One of the addresses was bad and bounced immediately. If you don't get the other message then you haven't revealed your address here. (I didn't see the one you posted and then deleted...I've done that myself). If you do get it then you'll know how to fix the leak, if you want it kept private.

I'm glad to hear the wheels are turning. Help should be there soon.

Russ Denman
06-13-2002, 13:14
Is there a corresponding update for the 2002?

I took my truck to the dealer on June 3, 2002 and was told there were no updates that apply. My build date is January 21, 2002.

I do experience a 2-1 downshift when coasting to a red light which turns green before a complete stop. As I come on with the power at the transmission decides to downshift. I have never nailed it at that point and it does not seem severe, I may have not noticed it had I not read about this in the forum.

I have had shift business when towing my 7K pound trailer. The cruise control shifts to 4th with the speedometer not even 1 mph under the 65 that it is set at. I have found that I can hold 5th on most hills between Portland, OR and Albuquerque, NM if I don't use the cruise.

Buckman
06-13-2002, 13:25
LarryM,

When your dealer hooks his service tool to the vehicle, it reads the current calibration from either the engine(PCM) or transmission (TCM)depending on which the technician has requested. When the technician hooks it to the service terminal to check for updates, the system will only allow him to go forward and load the most recent applicable calibration into the tool for downloading into the vehicle. Good Luck with your Monday appointment. smile.gif smile.gif

odoh
06-13-2002, 14:26
Russ ~ I experienced the abrupt 2-1 downshift when sneaking up on a signal light/stop sign. However, on its own, it has moderated ~ guess its getting used to me. I've just turned 1400miles yes 1400. ~ odoh

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

Buckman
06-14-2002, 08:25
LarryM,

There are two Brown and Brown locations in Mesa, AZ. Which one are you dropping your truck off at? ;) ;)

LarryM
06-14-2002, 08:32
Buckman:

145 E. Main, The "main" store....

Anything else you need?

Buckman
06-14-2002, 09:40
LarryM,

Instead of your entire VIN, how about the last six digits? ;)

LarryM
06-14-2002, 09:53
Buckman:

I guess this means you didn't get the entire number from SteveO yet.

On edit: My wifes little surgical adventure was rescheduled to Monday, so I will be going to the dealer on Tuesday morning. And, with a little luck, will be on the road with the trailer on Wednesday moring.

Thanks,

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: LarryM ]</p>

Buckman
06-14-2002, 10:09
LarryM,

I must have had a lapse for just a moment. Is the letter preceeding the last six digits an E or F? :rolleyes:

LarryM
06-14-2002, 10:46
It's an "E"

Mic
06-14-2002, 11:16
LarryM

Can you shoot me an email.....

****@aol.com

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]</p>

Buckman
06-14-2002, 12:00
LarryM,

Thanks for your quick response. A little birdie tells me that you should get your truck to the dealer Monday. Help may be on the way! :D :D

Sorry, I meant Tuesday !!! Hope all goes well with the Mrs..

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Buckman ]</p>

LarryM
06-18-2002, 11:34
Update:

Just got back from the dealer. Here's what happened:

When I got there, my truck info was already up on the service writers computer screen along with the problem reported and the service instructions.

At no time did they ever admit to any help from "above".

They refused to allow me to observe the "calibration".

They admitted that the earlier attempt was done incorrectly and that although the PCM/ECM was reflashed, the TCM was not.

Just like the last few times I've been in, they claim to have done it correctly and everything will be perfect now.

I'm now in the process of changing oil, loading the truck, and hitching up the trailer. In the morning, I will be making another 3000 mile run at about 15,000 GCW. I'll report back late next week how it all went.

Thanks to all who helped with this problem!

bluenote
06-18-2002, 12:22
After reading about the newest update, I had my 2001 D/A reflashed a few days ago. It drove funny for a few minutes after I left the dealer, but then settled back down (also had the Ally fluid and filter replaced). Over the weekend, we pulled the 5er to some property we own that's about 100 miles away from home. When using the cruise, it seems to hold 5th a little better, but driving without the cruise was were I saw the most improvement. I easily held speed in 5th gear at 55-60 mph going up and down hills on a 2 lane road, with zero downshifts (OK, one downshift when I passed a F**d F-150). tongue.gif On the trip home, I had to slow down with traffic to about 45 mph at the bottom of a hill, and was able to increase my speed up to 55 mph going up the hill and staying in 5th gear. BTW, my 5er weighs close to 10K. Some of my results may be because I'm finally learning how to drive this thing while loaded, but the general might have finally got the software to do what we've all been wanting it to do. :D

LarryM
06-27-2002, 11:20
Well, I'm back from the lastest run and here's the promised report.

I went over the scales at 14,760 pounds, which includes the load in the camper, and the tag-along 7x14 enclosed trailer.

On the way up, loaded, the improvement was barely noticeable. The crusie control is still pretty much useless in rolling hills and similar grade conditions. There was somewhat less tendency to "hunt", but I could still get it to cycle between 4th and 5th rapidly at times. The biggest change seemed to be holding in 4th for a longer period of time after coming off a long grade onto flat ground.

On the way back I only had about 400 miles of unloaded data before I got rear-ended in Boise. The trailer was totaled and the hitch and bumper were badly damaged. The last 1200 miles were run with no trailer. The cruise works pretty good now running solo!

Overall, the noticed difference was not worth all the hassle I went through getting the new calibrations done.

Does anyone have any information on the "OD lockout"? I think some of the issues I have with this drive train would be resolved if I could lock the thing in 4th.

hoot
06-27-2002, 11:58
Larry,

Consider the Juice box. All that is required is slightly more power and she will hold fifth. You can use the lower power setting.

Mike

mackin
06-27-2002, 18:06
LarryM ,

As HOOT said, my sentiments exactly ...... Edge's software upgrade is by far the best ........ That and a good set off gauges with fix your problem ...........

MAC smile.gif

CntrlCalDmax
06-27-2002, 18:20
The juice eliminated almost all of the 5-4-5 hunting for me when pulling a 10K+ trailer through mountains. I consider it a must for towing. Nothing else I have tried or read about can come close to improving the towing ability of the D/A. smile.gif

LarryM
06-28-2002, 18:15
Hoot and others,

I believe you are correct about the Edge box performance. However that solution just isn't going to happen any time in the forseable future. Why? Well, mostly because of cost. I just don't have the money it would take to buy the box, gauges, and the necessary exhaust upgrade. There are other reasons, but believe me, if cost was no problem, I would already have all this installed.

I'm still hoping for info on the overdrive lockout mod. I can implement that mod cheap and easy if I have all the required info.

CntrlCalDmax
06-28-2002, 18:23
LarryM

When you find out about the overdrive lockout mod, I would be very interested in it. Do you expect it to be from the factory or after market?

77TransAm
06-29-2002, 09:34
LarryM, the OD disable function should have been included with the calibration update you received; it just requires the installation of a switch for it. I think there are a few people here who installed it in their trucks as soon as they had the TCM updated. I don't know if GM has released the factory installation kit for it yet, but installing it is basically the same procedure as installing the high idle that many members of this forum have installed. Two wires to the TCM and a momentary contact switch to connect them. We put our switches in the same area of the dash as the passenger airbag disable switch or PTO switch are located, but it will work anywhere.
For '03 that function will be in the same switch as the tow/haul button - push once, get tow/haul; push again, get OD disable; push again, get both together; push again, both are off.

LarryM
06-29-2002, 10:49
77TransAM:

Thanks for the info. Do you have the pin identification for the two pins on the TCM that need to be switched?

I assume that a momentary connection will disable the OD and a second momentary connection will re-enable it. True?

77TransAm
07-01-2002, 09:49
Keep in mind that OD disable prevents the trans from shifting INTO fifth gear, not out of fifth gear. If you still want to do it, here you go:

The TCM has two connectors - if you unplug them you'll see that one has a red plastic cover and the other has a clear plastic cover. The clear one is the J1 connector. Pins J1-12 and J1-28 should be connected with a normally open, momentary contact switch for OD disable. Push the switch once to engage OD disable and again to go back to normal. The feature will also default to normal on each start up, just like tow-haul.
The instrument panel has no way to indicate that OD disable is active, so if you want to add a light to come on with OD disable, you can make a circuit from J1-02 (TCM supplied ignition power) or any other switched power source to J1-20 (TCM supplied ground, grounded only when OD disable is active). We just make a four-wire harness, plug one end into the four appropriate TCM locations, and run the other end up into the dash for the switch and light.

The same steps everyone used to do the high idle install work for adding wires to the TCM, so I won't retype all that info here; just make sure you remove the clear plastic cover before you push the terminals through from the back of the connector.

SoMnDMAX
07-01-2002, 10:55
77 Trans Am-

Good info!!! Two questions- Does the TCM need to be updated to the newest revision level of software for this to work? I'm assuming you use the same connector P/N# 12084913 used for the high idle?

Looks like I'll be busy this afternoon.....

LarryM
07-01-2002, 13:07
77 Trans AM,

Thanks very much for the info! Good stuff. I'll be putting that in as soon as I can round up the necessary connectors.

I regularly make the run between central AZ and central WA. There are several places on that 1500 mile road that still cause the trans to "hunt". While it would be much better to lock it in OD, locking it in fourth will at least give some control.

Thanks again!

77TransAm
07-01-2002, 13:55
The latest service calibrations for both 2001 and 2002 trucks have the OD disable feature enabled. I don't think any of the older cals had it included. The connectors should be the same as those used on the PCM.

SoMnDMAX
07-02-2002, 15:08
Just installed the fifth gear lockout. Works like a champ!!! Installation is just like 77 T/A said. Pulls up to about 80 MPH in fourth, up to governed speed of the engine.

Should work really good when on the dyno.... :D

Thanks for the instructions!!

LarryM
07-03-2002, 14:09
Just got mine installed. Works great. Lacking any thing better right now, I just taped the push button to the shift lever. Looks shody, but at least I can reach it easy. Will have to work out something nicer later.

77TransAM, thanks again!

IndigoDually
07-10-2002, 12:15
Where can I get the proper connectors for the ECM/TCM plugs?

SoMnDMAX
07-10-2002, 12:34
P/N# 12084913, and they are available thru your friendly local Chevrolet or GMC dealer. They are known as a "Micropak" terminal.

They cost about $2 PER CONNECTOR :eek: