PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken the flares off their HD?

ChevyGert
07-11-2003, 12:16
Has anyone taken the flares off to check for rust or possibly to see what it looked like with them off or maybe just to clean behind there?

It looks like a prime spot for rust to start.

Turbo Al
07-13-2003, 19:04
I took mine off when I undercoated the truck. It was pretty dusty under them. I undercoated right up to and around the metal lip. They are just held on by 5 or 6 of the plastic holders and the rest is just a sticky two sided tape.

3-Fan
07-14-2003, 05:45
I took mine off about a year ago and haven't put them back on yet. I never liked the big black flares on it anyhow. I would always get some wax on them and then they looked awful.

mackin
07-14-2003, 06:43
Took my fronts off (all I had ) left them off, wouldn't worry about rust .... Perhaps a few minor scratches,from grime .....

If your gonna do it and leave them off,the sooner the better due to paint fade dis-coloration ....

Mac ;)

roegs
07-14-2003, 08:21
Here in the salt belt, I always worry about corrosion with items such as wheel well flairs. Anything that can trap the salt will begin to rust at some point. :(

On my C/K trucks with flairs, I was able to push a long hose up through the flair and flush water within the area between the flair and fender. You'd be amazed at how much gunk comes out every spring. I use a water tank fill valve from an RV supply store. Its a valve that screws on the end of a garden hose with a small nipple on the other end. You can slip a smaller hose over the nipple that can be pushed up and through the flare cavity. I have not taken a close look at my '03 flairs yet, but plan to do the same flush every spring.

I also use LPS3 to keep rust out of the bottoms of the doors. You can spray it up through the rain drip holes on the door bottoms. The LPS3 hardens to a soft wax, and keeps salt from gathering on the bottom lip of the doors.

[ 07-14-2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: roegs ]