PDA

View Full Version : Programmers and shiftpoint control for the 4L80E

markrinker
05-11-2005, 12:59
What programmers give the best control over shiftpoints? I would like to eliminate the annoying and potentially dangerous downshifts from 3rd to 2nd of my 6.0L/4L80E combo.

JimWilson
05-14-2005, 08:22
I got a "custom" tune from a place called Westers, but it really didn't do all that much (except make my engine ping). It did minimize the amount of torque management in the tranny, so the shifts are a bit more crisp. But since this was a reprogrammed PCM, as opposed to a hand held programmer that allows you to make the changes, I can't do any additional adjustments myself. SuperChips, Predator and HyperTech all have units that allow you to make the changes yourself, so they might have some added benefits for customization.

But if my expereince is any indication -- and it does seem to mimick what a lot of others have said -- is that gas engines don't benefit all that much from computer changes. It might make some difference, but it's often at the expense of being forced to use premium fuel. Diesels, on the other hand, seem to get some remarkable improvements from reprogrammed computers.

Kollin Syverson
05-28-2005, 05:37
Go with the Predator you wont be disappointed.

JD Diesel
05-28-2005, 06:22
:D Dido with jimwilson. hypertech engine performance change EEEEEEEHH. Trans stuuff was great for shift points and firmness. :cool:

battmain
06-17-2005, 20:16
The new tunercat program has been getting good reviews. Should be able to find a link over at ls1tech.com or I'll try to dig one up for you.

markrinker
07-17-2005, 06:50
Finally found a used (and reset) Diablo on Ebay for $250. First impression is good. Plenty of 'seat of the pants' power under 87 or 93 octane tunes. Lots of other parameters to play with.

The one item I am most happy with: Ability to control the speed of the 3rd to 2nd gear downshift while in tow/haul mode. This has been a major annoyance while towing with this truck. No more overrevving while running a hill with the cruise control engaged!!! Also the ability to add shift firmness under tow/haul but leave shift firmness stock under empty driving conditions.

Cool!

[ 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]