PDA

View Full Version : SLT vs SLE vs SL

conradv
07-23-2002, 17:20
OK, so I really am going to buy a 2003, & I've been looking up the differences between the GMC SL, SLE & SLT trucks. I searched the archives, but didn?t seem to find much

I've come up with the following according to Kelley's Blue Book:

SL - base model

SLE - SL plus:
Power door locks
Keyless entry
Tinted rear glass
Power Mirrors
Speed control
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Power windows

SLT - SLE plus:
Onstar
Fog lights
Leather Powered split bench seats

Prices for a 2002 2500HD CC long bed:
SL: $33,877
SLE: $35,267
SLT: $35,267

So what are the advantages in getting an SL with enough options to build an "SLT". Why the same price for the SLE and SLT? What does the SLE have that the SLT doesn't?

With so many options, I'm confused as to which way to go. I want a semi-loaded truck, with heated seats for the wife, but no goofy DVD player. I'd like power doors, but no goofy Onstar...

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: conradv ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
07-23-2002, 17:35
Quote:
I'm confused as to which way to go.
__________________________________________________ __________________

LMAO...Sorry, but it's too funny. Go to carprice.com and build one to suit your needs.

conradv
07-23-2002, 17:37
I did. What I'm asking is if there's a reason why some people build up an SL, and some people order an SLT with the options already there.

CV

oneton
07-23-2002, 17:43
I think this is a case of a kid in a candy store! :D Can't decide!! OMG!! What to do? I just found a truck that had all the bells and whistles. That way I wouldn't reget anything ;)

reality: Build one you can afford. You can always add on the extras later.

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-23-2002, 19:02
conradv,

I guess the main difference is the heated seats as in 01 & 02 you could add the leather to the SLE pkg w/o heating them. If onstar and climate control are something you want then get the SLT or if a Chevy the LT.

I built a loaded SLE, left out Leather, Cab Lights and skid plates. I am very happy.

Like they say, build what you want.

GMC

SoCalDMAX
07-23-2002, 19:56
As far as leather, Onstar, bench vs bucket seats, etc, it's purely up to you. I believe the packages are a little cheaper, but I don't think you can get an SLT and delete the Onstar and leather, for example. The bench seats are close enough to a bucket seat for me to feel like they are, plus the extra seating cap. Take all of the towing/wiring options. I don't know if the towing mirrors are any good, look closely at them in terms of extension, size and vibration.

If you have any doubts about whether you want it or not, take it and you can always trade/sell it to someone here. If for example you took the DVD, you could easily find a buyer for it. The forged alloys are a great deal for only $130 for the set. Other mfrs charge up to $2,000 for forged alloys. If you want wider rims later, you can easily sell your alloys for $400.

Regards, Steve

crafty
07-24-2002, 06:42
Take the SLE model and add or delete what you don't or do want. I have that model and I don't have leather or ONstar or the high end stereo. Because I wanted the 6 speed I had to give up the push button 4x4 and the dual cassette/cd option but I was able to get anything else I wanted or leave it off.
GM has option packages that make the whole unit cheaper if you take the whole package as oposed to just a few individual options. There isn't one option that I got that I'd do without. :D :D :D

andy911
07-24-2002, 07:06
Options and packages are different in Canada and there is definitely a $ difference between the SLE & SLT trim levels. DVD Entertainment system is a stand-alone option for 2003 so if you don't want it, don't get it. OnStar is probably not a delete option but if you get it, you don't have to use it. According to who you listen to, it's either really useful when you need help (locked doors etc.) or a total waste of time. You decide.

The Stealers have 2003 pricing now, so try and find one that actually knows what a GM truck looks like and get them to print off all the Base prices, Options and Packages for you. That's what they get paid the big commissions for :D :D

OldCarKook
07-24-2002, 14:15
Conrad - The road to Ruen is about to begin I see. lol

I have the SLT. I ran these same numbers on my '02 when I ordered it and it was more complete and less money to order the SLT on mine.

The SLT crew is basically a loaded Yukon from the front seatbacks forward.

I added in pretty much everything I could get on it. I just had friend buy one off a lot that is identical (except color) to mine and he paid high 30s which is lower than I paid last January. I put the following options on:
AN3 - Front high-back reclining heated buckets $1255
PYO - polished aluminum wheels
C49 - electric rear window defogger (no sliders on crew cabs - ????)
DL8 - heated outside mirrors
Z82 - HD trailering which includes wire harness, weight distributing hitch, engine oil cooler, aux tranny cooler, high capacity air filter $215
NP1 - Electri shift transfer case
G80 - Locking differential $295
M74 - Allison $1200
LB7 - Duramax - $4810

These prices are all MSRP off the original paperwork.

In a nutshell, I paid about 11% off the MSRP. These are also '02 numbers. When I ran the SLE upgrade to get this same equipment, it was more money on an MSRP basis.

Kook

conradv
07-24-2002, 14:53
Hey there Kook! - I probably won't be able to afford the custom Ruen Farms paint job for a bit... Sure would look good though.

Thanks for the reply - that's what I was after.

I hope to order one in in a few months.

Conrad

Redhawk
07-25-2002, 12:31
When I started looking for a Duramax, the dealers just laughed when I asked how long it would take to order and get a new truck. One dealer even had a sign that said "wait till next year". But he called me back a week later and asked if I wanted a SLT dually (I'd wanted a 2500), they had an allocation for one arriving in five weeks. I thought for about 30 seconds and said I'd be right down with a deposit. The truck came loaded and so far I have not regretted having one of those items on the truck. For me it worked out, so I guess its all about choices, even if you don't have one.