PDA

View Full Version : Rear Air Springs

wxmn6
12-22-2002, 18:34
I'm just curious generally how many pounds tongue weight before your truck bed would start to lower? And generally how many pounds tonuge weight before you would get a rear air springs like Firestone? I understand that your # may vary due to your truck configuation such as engine, cab, box.

I do not haul anything heavy right now but next year it is possible that I may be getting a trailer that have a capacity of towing 7000 pounds of load. Also it is possible that I may be getting a V box sander next year. Because it is now winter time, I have more time for myself. If I think that I should get the air springs, then it would be a good time to do it during the winter, as long as I have a place with heated garage. :D

If I get a Firestone rear spring kit, do I need to remove one leaf spring on each side as I read in the other post? I hope not because I would like to leave it the way it is. Will it work good?

But before I start to get some serious thinking about it I would like to have some of your opinion please. Thanks! smile.gif

Me4OSU
12-22-2002, 21:14
I just put a set of Air Lifts on my 3/4 and wish now that I would have done it sooner. I really questioned whether they would be worth the cost and trouble but so far I am VERY happy.

My pickup is a 3/4 ton 4x4 that has 2 leafs put in it to hold up a @1800 lb. flatbed. They work ok but then you load on top of that 2 1500 lb. round bales and eventually things start to weaken. I did not remove any springs and the Air Lifts bolted right up to the frame (no drilling) and aired them up to 20 lbs. and they worked beautifully . . . no sag. You need at least 10 lbs. and can put 100 lbs. of air in them. The ride is really very good also. I was scared with the 2 extra leafs and the air springs it would ride terrible but it doesn't! Good luck and before adding any leafs I would go check on air springs of some kind.

GM Smitty
12-22-2002, 21:38
No complaints here about the Air Lift kit. Easy install, leave 10 PSI in them, and you won't know they are there. I also added a small on board air compressor so I can air up anywhere.

wxmn6
12-23-2002, 11:11
What's the Pros and Cons of between Air Lift and Firestone air springs?

Kennedy
12-23-2002, 11:39
The air lift are bigger, stronger, and from what I am told, mount easier/better.

I have 1 extra leaf, Air Lift bags, and Bilsteins on mine, and I believe it rides much better than stock!

wxmn6
12-23-2002, 20:07
Thanks guys, I guess I will stick with Air Lift since most of you use them.

I'd like to get an onboard compressor system. But I don't like the "panel" board that comes with their kit. Is the gauge and switch removable from the "panel" board? Because I am going to have a custom built switch box for all my other accessories and equipment, I would like to put the gauge and switch on it. What is the outside diameter of the gauge, and approximately how big hole would I need to drill on my switch box. Also is the switch mounted through round or rectangle hole? I would like a black gauge instead of white one. Can I get a black gauge from Air Lift?

I know it's quite alot of questions to ask but I am having a bit trouble getting information about it and would like your help. Thanks!

Kennedy
12-23-2002, 20:58
It's a pretty well built gauge setup. Stick with DUAL control. They have low psi cut in switches, and have bleeders to air the bags down. I'm looking to stash the panel beneath my removeable drink holder OR use my SPA digital to read the psi and just feed in the bleeders and a fill solenoid wire using the compressor from my BD brake.

Again, DUAL control for the side to side stability!

wxmn6
12-23-2002, 21:11
Is the gauges and switches removable from the panel board that is supplied in the kit? I don't mean to push you, but do you have any info. that I asked above that will help answer my questions? Because I need a custom switch box built soon so I can hook up my other accessory and equipment. I need to figure out how big the switch box I need it to be before I can get it built. It is just that I don't plan to get the air lift kit until next year so that's why.

a5150nut
12-24-2002, 09:06
wxmn6
You might check Campingworld, they carry the air lift setup and might be able to provide the dementions you need. Or, see if there is a web site for Air-Lift. Use Google, much better search engine.....

FrozenAKJoe
12-28-2002, 17:34
I believe the Firestone warranty is longer, but I'm not totally sure.

Either one will do the job. I love mine. The dual air is a dream. I hated having to manually air-up and deflate my last setup. It was a pain. Granted, the compressor and gauges are expensive, but they're pretty darn nice to have.

Why spend $40k on a truck and then be cheap on the mods? Get the full blown system and you'll be happy.

JEBar
12-28-2002, 17:48
knowing what I know now, I wish I'd of removed one rear spring and added Air Lifts sooner. Spring removal is not necessary but had greatly improved my unloaded ride. The compressor gauge and controls are mounted in the dash hole (for lack of a better term) located below and to the right of the radio ... looks good and works well there. ... Jim