PDA

View Full Version : Melted OEM Fog Lights!

MGM
05-23-2002, 11:06
Before i got Mackins warning about NOT using 50 watt bulbs,i fried mine!has anyone tried 37 watt with success?i would like to stay stock ,but can,t stand our 2 candlepower oem,s. Shame GM.

Tader Jack
05-23-2002, 11:43
I had PIAA's Pro 90's on my last truck and they kept blowing bulbs in a week's time. The dealer kept me in a supply of bulbs but it was getting old replacing them every week. Too much heat PIAA told me so I had to run normal 55 watt bulbs and then they would only last 6 months. A lot of fog/driving lights are like this . . . junk.

I'm hoping someone comes out with a good quality lamp for our trucks that will take a normal 55 watt bulb and will work for at least a year without blowing out.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Coming soon . . . Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust . . . to be installed 5/29/02
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.
------------------------------------------------

Chris Karpa
05-23-2002, 12:30
The stock driving lamps are 27 watts.
I took the bulb out and headed to Partsource
and the guy tells me that the highest wattage I
can get for that style of bulb is 37 watt.
So I put them in. they are a little bit better
at lighting up the ditches.
I've run them for 3 monthes now and haven't noticed any melting around the light (how can it
if its only 37 watts).
I plan on replacing the air dam with a piaa airdam
and mounting their lamps in it.
they had a choice of a couple different lamps.
they had a picture of the air dam on the web site
http://www.piaa.com/accessories.html
BUT one thing you should try ---> replace the
high beams with 100watt bulbs....IMPRESSIVE
My 2cents
Chris

Silver Bullet
05-23-2002, 14:31
I am also running the 37 watters with no problems for 6-8 weeks.

mdrag
05-24-2002, 10:56
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Forum.

Idahobidcaller
05-24-2002, 11:09
Is there still someone out there that thinks fog lights "cut through" fog? The higher the wattage, the more light the moisture has to reflect back at you, it's physics. Do people who run all the time with their fog lights on realize how annoying they are? Better yet when they have the lights tipped up instead of pointed down like they should. Fog lights are to illuminate the road directly in front of you so you can see the "fog lines", duh.

JimWilson
05-24-2002, 11:18
Huh? You mean to tell me that the factory fog lights are a measly 27 watts!? GM should be embarrassed. Wonder what made them do something that idiotic. Geez, 55 watts has been the standard since the 70's. Guess I'm going to have to remove those puny things and buy some real lights for my truck.

DaveRuane
05-24-2002, 13:16
37 watts in use for 8 or so weeks here - no problems noted. The OEM fogs are made by that rinky-dink, cheap crap company called Blazer. The PIAA air-dam seems like a good upgrade to consider. Would also love to take control of the fog lights (be able to turn 'em on with the high beams).

Disregarded Idaho's opinions....

Chris Karpa
05-25-2002, 10:04
If you go with the Piaa , you can buy
a remote switch that works for their
lights. Certain models of their lamps can use this remote switch which eliminates having to run wires all over the place. this means you can run it on high or low beam because you are bypassing the stock switch.
I can't find it on the piaa website so here's another link instead:
http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=6425
a link and picture of the piaa airdam
http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=6415

Buck
05-25-2002, 11:47
I have had 37 watt bulbs for about 4 months and nothing bad has happened. Get bulbs with a reflector tip. The 50 watts I've seen don't have this so the 37s were the next best thing. The 37s lay out a nice wide even low beam like they should from the factory. I think it's worth the $11.