PDA

View Full Version : 6-speed clutch

dmaxmule
05-16-2005, 18:51
Several times now I have noticed that the clutch in my truck would chatter and then the truck would die. This has happened when hauling 600lbs and in a little mud, when empty and in mud, when pulling 2000lbs on trailer and starting on a hill, and when pulling 6000lbs and starting on a hill.

I am thinking that the clutch is slipping somehow. It sounds as if the clutch and pressure plate are slapping each other then they lock up and cause the motor to die. A mechanic friend of mine says it sounds to him like the spring clicking as the clutch is released without enough pressure to engage the clutch at first but then there is enough to suddenly engage the clutch and cause the engine to die.

I have not been lucky enough to get a mechanic to hear the clatter as it does not seem to happen if a mechanic is around. I am wondering what this is and how to get it to happen for my dealer?

jackrabbit
05-19-2005, 05:08
I also have the 6sp but haven't noticed any problems with mine so far as what you have described.

Would this noise be related to the problems that the earlier DMF (dual mass flywheel) had as it was starting to fail?

I have looked at other web sites on the Duramax and found that some people are still having issues with the new DMF and are looking at replacing it with a SMF and a dual clutch package.

Hope that isn't it, good luck.

dmaxmule
05-19-2005, 18:36
I do not know what it is; however, I would like the expense to come out of their pocket.