PDA

View Full Version : Eating Tires?

Burner
07-24-2002, 08:38
I have had a 2000 2500 EXT cab 4x4 Chevy, 2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 Powerstroke, (have)2001 2500 Youkon(Burb) XLT and this Durmax 4x4 Crewcab, all with standard beds save the Burb. The one thing that I have noticed is tire wear. The 2k Chevy did not eat tires, nor does the Youkon. However, the F-250 seemed to be hard on tires and this GMC truck seems to be "eating" them off. I have heard that this was common.... but I need more. I would have thought that the FORD would have shread the tires much quicker than anything. I had rebuilt the trans to hold more power and programed the truck up to 310 HP pushing over 700+ Lbs. of torque. Heck, my truck weighed 8050lbs and would beat my wifes car (96 LS400) 0-60 by about 40 feet, she cought and smoked me past that. I switched the GMC to COOPER 265's and they seem to be a little thin for 17k. Chime in and tell me if I'm "Eating" tires or is this normal. .......for a MAX CC 4x4?
I think that I'll get about 25k out of the tires, safely.

Thanks,

Burner

--------------------

:(

tbrowne
07-24-2002, 08:57
I haven't noticed any unusual wear on the Steeltex tires on my 2002 CC/DA. I'm getting ready to rotate this weekend. When you say eating the tires; do you mean front and rear, just front, just rear, ...?

JackDmax
07-24-2002, 10:55
Only have 8300 miles so far but haven't noticed any undue wear yet.

tbrowne, where in Springfield are you located?

Jack

Burner
07-24-2002, 11:21
The Ford had Steeltex tires.--- The truck doesnot pull or wear tires uneven. It just seems to wear out tires quickly. I am wondering if it is due to having a ridged smile.gif frame with a long wheelbase?

On a second note... I really liked my Ford but the frame twisted like a rubberban. :eek: It had great brakes....until you needed them unloaded or on a slippery surface. :rolleyes:
Er...eh... I guess it was loud...and scary steering (rip out of your hands on curb) a little uncumfy on long trips...bad AC controles...rigid backseat...low tech dash... didn't get much for the Lariat package....... But I really did like the truck.

Diverguy
07-24-2002, 12:09
Burner;
4WD's eat tires faster than 2WD vehicles. It's the nature of the beast. You are correct to assume that you are ony going to get 25-35K (miles) from a set of tires. Your best bet is to do a 4 wheel rotation every 4500 miles to ensure even tire wear otherwise you are going to see the front tires start to cup and all those other wonderful things.
The other question is how heavy is your right foot? Is it 'attracted' to the throttle? The other issue is the quality of the stock tires. GM rarely puts good quality tires on their vehicles. Lowest bidder wins. I have General tires on my truck and they wore very quickly. I should have removed them the day I purchased my truck. Anyways I hope this helped. Cheers

spctr13
07-24-2002, 13:12
51,000 on the original steeltex tires , heavy - always over 8000#s . 70% towing 26' travel trailer including to Alaska and back , and California and back . Would have got an additional couple of thousand , but I picked up a piece of steel and decided to change all four . Same brand 265's .

Mac

glclary
07-24-2002, 14:04
My truck and Steeltex's have 20K. Rotated at 5, 10 and 15k. The two currently on the rear are shot. The other two may go another 2 or 3 thousand. I have checked air pressure regularly, 55 front, 50 rear. I have never spun them on purpose but I do like quick take offs so I must be "turnin' them over" and don't realize it.....and spctr13 got 51 thousand....Wow! smile.gif

tbrowne
07-24-2002, 15:02
JackDmax - I live on just north of Northridge off of Morris Road. E-mail me at wtbrowne@ameritech.net.

1BADDMAX
07-24-2002, 16:05
My original Firestones would have lasted nearly 30k if one of them didn't decide to have a nice split in the sidewall. I am now running Michelin LTX M/S 235/85/16's on the stock wheels. They are wearing fast.. At only 5k ( just rotated) they have nearly been worn down by 1/3rd. Maybe I'm a little to quick with the clutch?? I will probably go with BFG All Terrains or Mud Terrains next time around.

Burner
07-24-2002, 17:00
* BADMAXX !!!! *

I love the BFG but don't get them. I bought a 1999 3/4 ton Burb as a "go between" my 2001 F-250 and my Shinny New D-MAX. They "goffed" my order and I had to wait about 4 months for dang D-MAX!! I had the "burb" for about week and put new KA tires on. The Burb wore almost 25% of the tires off in 4k miles. Thought that that was a fluke untill I bought the KM Mudders for my truck (hunting season). I have only 4k on those tires and they are worn down about 40%. I will mention that I'm one of those "maintain it it lose it" people. I rotate my own tires every 2k miles, two times between oil changes! The "new" compound is GREAT off-road but really stinks on durability.
BTW- I bought a set of GM Alcoa's for the mudders so they would be easy to swap out. ;) I have four sets of factory Alcoa rims. :eek: One for street, one for mud, one on the 01 Burb and one set as splitters. All of my spares are mounted on one. I have only one rim left. I will keep that as a blank spare. Remember, the "wife" drives the burb...er..over pot holes, curbs or whatever see doesn't see. :mad:
These trucks can get heavy, quick. I would not use anything but an "E" rated tire. ;)

Burner

Rebel_Horseman
07-24-2002, 17:24
I have a set of 285/75R16 Buckshot Maxxis Mudders on my half ton. I have about 15-20,000 miles on them and they are maybe half worn. My right foot is always planted on the go pedal (+300 hp...who could resist?) Most of my driving is highway miles and high speed at that (the cops down here don't care about the back roads that much) but there is a good amount of offroad driving too. The tire is very agressive offroad, fairly quiet and comfortable on road, and I'm impressed with the durability. I'm pretty sure they are load range D tires. I know a few other people that have them as well and have had good results from them. I'd definately buy another set. Just my $0.02 worth.

Reb [><]

SledZep
07-24-2002, 17:41
11,000 or so on Cooper (master craft) tires that look brand new. They have been rotated twice and are due again. 285/75/16 on 8 inch wide wheels.
http://www.mastercrafttires.com/ltsuv.asp?id=85
I love them so far, and the best part is I was PAID $5 to switch to them (before mount and balance) when I traded the OEM tires in (received $100 each for OEM and paid $99 for the new ones). I saw the idea here on the board. I also bought my American racing Atlas? wheels there in chrome for just over $200 each (4)
So for less than a Grand I switched wheels and tires.
Couldn't be happier. Look great, seem to last, and quiet to boot!

If you go to the site to view them you can also find another version (LT) that has even more of those little sipes that are so good for winter traction. I might try those next... Although I have no winter traction complaints with these.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: SledZep ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
07-24-2002, 18:45
I've had one Ford, my first and my last, for this very reason alone. And now, they (Ford and Ford lovers) say it is fixed. Liars. Take a walk through any substantial sized parking lot and look at the new Fords, or any Ford for that matter and check out the tire wear. It sucks. As for the GMC, you need something done for that wear. Not the norm, in my opinion, however, if you buy cheap tires, you'll get what you pay for. Michelins on my GMC. 'Nuff said, as I approach 60k miles on this set, and anticipate 70k before they are shot.
Disclaimer: Just my dollars 0.02 worth.

Burner
07-24-2002, 20:01
My "Summertime tires" are the Cooper 265/75 R16 E tires. I believe that they are the "A/T Discoverer." I wonder if that G80 rear has any affect? :D They do have them little O'le sippers, everywhere. I think that is why they are wearing. They do not have enough edge strength. I got to look'n at them and the Kenworth tires. The Big K has a solid beed and mine don't. The wife has the Michelins and she does have a stronger tire edge.

Do ya think that dent under my pedal has anything to do with it? :D :D

Burner :D

Burner
07-24-2002, 20:14
Rebel,

I have heard a lot of good things about the Super Swampers or Maxis tires. There should be a 285 R16 E comming out of LA (can't spell Louisainia). I have thought about getting a set of those for hunting season, when the BGF wear out. I reck'n that my 285 BFG MT spare will look ok, if I have a flat. :D I wonder if I could sell five BFG KM mudders and get 80% of what I paid for them?..... I doubt it :( Rims and tires set me back about 1,700 :mad:

Burner

Rebel_Horseman
07-24-2002, 21:10
Swampers are made about 60 miles form me (they give a real deal if you are from Louisiana and go there to get the tires). The website (I think) is www.intercotire.com The manufacturer's called Interco Tire Co. so if the website is wrong you can do a search and find it. Buckshots (what I have) are made by Maxxis which is www.maxxistires.com (again working from memory here). Swamper makes a real good heavy duty tire called the TRXUS and some others. Look through their website and they give all the load specs for all their tires. Of course if you wanted the ultimate traction you could get a set of Boggers!

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

MikeT
08-01-2002, 14:10
Got 20K on my steeltex and they still look like brand new.

8.1PWR
08-01-2002, 16:59
I just turned 8000 miles on my truck. I rotated the tires yesterday took my tread gauge and measured the tread. New spare has 16/32 :D the tires on the ground have 11/32. :( At that rate they will be bald by 24000 miles. :eek: These are the Firestone steeltex. Of those 8k miles about 1200 are with my camper the rest is just running around mostly highway.
I've always had good luck with BFG I think that will be my next set.