PDA

View Full Version : Getting A New Steering Box Courtesy, GM

Billy14
07-24-2002, 15:04
Listen Up DMax's with rattling steering columns,

Dealer got in the steering box replacement bearing to eliminate the rattle. TSB (this is the key. I didn't think there was one yet) stated once new bearing assembly is installed, if binding at any point through full travel is felt, <REPLACE GEARBOX>. Mine was binding so a new box will be here tomorrow. smile.gif smile.gif

I asked if they were going to put the new bearing assembly in the new box. Reply was "all new steering boxes HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO THE NEW BEARING ASSEMBLY".

Hmmmmmmmmm. I thought posts from others with the rattle stated their dealers were making no claim & the problem was with the re-greasing of the shaft. :confused: :rolleyes:

Hope this info may help some of you,

Billy

pullinpower
07-24-2002, 17:01
Well it looks like my gearbox is going to be binding before my 36k is here ;) Finally there doing the right thing. wonder if there putting the 03 box in our trucks?

SledZep
07-24-2002, 17:28
How noticable is this bind? I do not believe I have a rattle. Is it loud? I have not read all of the threads on this yet (sorry) but start to wonder if I should need a replacement if there was a complete redesign.
I do not tow heavy yet and would hate to find out too late that I had problem that could have benn repaired free.

JEFSHP
07-24-2002, 20:18
Does Duramax have a different steering problem from the gassers?

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-24-2002, 20:50
I had mine in the dealer today to have the Side to Side leveled - was 1" lower on the Drivers Side. Anyway I complained about the rattle and had the OLD Temporary Grease Job done. It is completely quiet now and if it starts rattling by the next oil change I will insist on the TSB Coupling change.

If that don't keep it quiet I will be asking for a new Box. My dealer has been awsome and I cannot complain about anything except that darn rattle.

GMC ;)

woodzie
07-24-2002, 23:00
I have a k3500,ext cab,alum flt. bed that will turn 1/4 turn and then quit turning-on slick concrete it will turn-but on rough finished concrete or asphalt or grass or dirt it won't turn the wheels but 1/4 turn-this is sitting still and not moving-release the brakes and move and the steering wheel turns Ok-but in a tight spot of paralel parking you don't have that much room. Dealership has replaced the pump and steering box-but still the same problem!

2001 D/A K3500-ext cab-alum flt.bd
Juiced-and lots more

Billy14
07-28-2002, 09:54
woodzie,

Your not alone. Mine does the same thing as well as my 97 Tahoe. If I pull into a parking spot & want to straighten the wheels, no go. It's almost like the tires are wedged up against a curb or something.

I don't know for sure, but it may have to do with the steering sensor located on the steerin column, at least that's what my dealer says.

Billy

woodzie
07-28-2002, 22:09
Billy14

I've talked to the local dealer several times,an they have voiced the complaint to their service rep, who is thinking about putting a smaller pully on to get a little more hyd. poweer to the unit-suppose to call the dealership tomorrow to set up an appointment-will let you know if I get any help-the dealership has doucumented on every ticket when I have taken the truck in for service.
Went to Paris,Tx. a couple weeks ago and picked up 2 flat bed 5th wheel trialers-got 17.2 empty-11.2 pulling trailers back to Illinois-runing 70-75mph-then 65 in Illinois

2001 K3500,ext cab alum flt bd.
Juiced+lots of goodies

Billy14
07-28-2002, 23:04
Thanks Woodsie,

We'll wait & see if you have any luck.

Billy

woodzie
07-31-2002, 14:01
Billy 14

No luck-took truck in today for service,replaced front grill and a pice of rubber on left door and they called tec line,no fix as of yet on the locked steering when sitting still-the complaint is listed on the work order, so this keeps it active after it is out of warranty? Don't know if it would help to call the 800# or not??

K3500 01 D/A ext/cab,alum flt bed
Juiced and RED