PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the new 2003 Chevy & GMCs

Chris N5CWM
07-24-2002, 16:41
I went to a couple of dealerships in Conroe, Texas
today and took these pictures. The Chevy is a 2500HD
4x2, 6.0/4L85E. The GMCs did not have any window
stickers on them, and all of their 2003 GMCs were
short bed extended cab, some Duramax/Allison trucks.

I took an interior shot but later realized it was a
lower optioned truck, the stereo is NOT the new BOSE
and there are no buttons on the steering wheel. I
went out there to take some pics of the new interior
with the above mentioned items but had no time to
find someone to unlock the 2003 that had them.

Here ya go:

http://n5cwm.dynip.com/images/2003_hd2500.html

I may run out there tonight and try to get a pic
of the interior that has the good options! :rolleyes:

ccds
07-24-2002, 17:43
Thanks for the good pictures...

smile.gif

TxDoc
07-24-2002, 18:03
Thanks for the time and effort to take and post the pics!

oneton
07-24-2002, 18:14
Whew.. am I glad I bought my 02( and the wife agrees!) Why GM ruined a good thing will never be known. Thanks for pictures Chris.

4meseb
07-24-2002, 19:16
Thanks for the pictures.

oneton,
I said the same thing "whew am I glad I got an 02".

Scott

OldCarKook
07-24-2002, 20:24
Oneton - Man you got that right! Me too!! What the heck happened to the design dept? They must have been caught up in a big "Avalanche"

Nyuck nyuck nyuck

I'm afraid that the new grille seems to make the front end look like a cross between a space ship and something that's been in a crash.

No offense to any of you '03 owners here...just one man's opinion.

Glad I'm in '02 for sure....wheeew!

Heavy Duty Neil
07-24-2002, 20:28
I want to kick the guy who approved this design change in the nuts. :mad:

NickLeinonen
07-24-2002, 20:37
that gmc didn't look too bad. i like the color keyed bumper parts. still too much chrome for my liking, but it's ok. the chevy on the other hand.. man, someone smacked that with the ugly tree real good..

LeeV
07-25-2002, 16:29
I think someone on the Chevy side fell asleep during that design meeting. The GM actually looks pretty good (I still like the 01,02 design better though). I may grow on me after a while.

FightinTXag
07-25-2002, 16:46
You know, I rarely see an Avalanche on the road and it's because they're so damn ugly. So why would GM curse they Chevy with the same ugly mug?

Lawnboy
07-25-2002, 18:13
I think the GMC is the better of the two, but the bumper spacer on the GMC looks like, AND PROBABLY IS, an AFTERTHOUGHT. The 1500 GMC looks great! Nice flowing bumper to grill lines, then the HD next to it has some stupid filler material in between the bumper and the grill. It really breaks up the flow of the front end.

I won't even get into the Chevy's looks.... Although they use a better method to fill between bumper and grill.

Is there any metal in the bumpers anymore??? Come on...This is a TRUCK!

Lawnboy
07-25-2002, 18:28
On this picture here http://n5cwm.dynip.com/images/07-24-02-07.jpg

Is the blue truck an '03 ?

I like the look of that bumper a lot better. More chrome, flowing lines, chrome mirrors. Something tells me that it is an '02 though.

Anyone know? Any more pics Chris?

SDWA
07-25-2002, 19:59
I don't think there's a chrome trim cover on the mirrors with the 03's (GMC or Chevy) so it's probably an '02. Could be wrong, though!

Scott

Chris N5CWM
07-26-2002, 18:16
Lawnboy, the blue truck in the pic you asked
about is an '02 2500HD.

Those are all the pics I have right now. There
is another topic where I posted some interior
pics but I see you've already posted there so
you know about it. smile.gif

The black filler piece is necessary because
of the extra lift that the HD has to allow for
clearance under the cab floorpan for the Allison
compared to the 1500's. Kind of like a body
lift, the bumper is bolted to the frame in the
same place but the body is higher off the frame
than a 1500.

-Chris

Diverguy
07-27-2002, 13:27
Add my vote in the column "the new design is ugly".
As stated previously the GMC version does not look that bad but the Avalanche front of the Chevrolet is abosultely hideous. Why did GM do this after only two years with the new design? I liked the fact that the rear lights on the 2000-2002 models have an amber turning signal like the Japanese vehicles for better visibilty. 2003 it's back to tthe old system. I'm not thrilled with the new heater controls either. I've never liked a sliding selecter for cold and warm air.
This is probably going to increase the second hand value of the 2000-2002 models.
I will fire off an e-mail to GM Canada to express my dismay about the cosmetic design changes but they will probably send me a polite e-mail shining me on regarding market changes, blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

01_Duramax_Dually
07-29-2002, 08:20
Can you say U G LY!!!!!
...****...Cough....Spit....

Oh Man....I know you '02 guys are glad..so am I. '01 owner here...

I am just not sure what in the heck happened...did someone fall and hit their head or what? I wonder what crackpot crew of savy motivated people picked the poll consumers for this decision...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I agree the GMC does not look to bad if I had to make a choice. I do like the interior upgrades in the '03. I wonder if that sterring column radio control cruise deal will fit an '01...?

Nevertheless, I think the Avalanche frontend is OK for the Avalanche. It seperates the 2 designs..Now everything coming at you is going to appear as an Avalanche...DOH!
I bet the Avalanche Dually looks real real funny.... :eek:

hoot
07-29-2002, 09:08
I agree. The Avalanche nose looks good on the Av, not the pickup. It looks like it was grafted on.

Huge GM mistake. Why do something so controversial on your bread and butter? Soooo stupid.

ryeguy
08-02-2002, 10:40
Yep, I'm glad I've got an '02 now too. The nicer radio might be nice, but from what I've seen, I like the looks (interior & exterior) of my '02 GMC more than either the '03 GMC or Chevy. The '02 Chevies are great looking trucks, I wanted 1 but couldn't get the deal that I did on the GMC. It's a shame they're so ugly now.

--Rob

MaxRock
08-02-2002, 12:42
After reading all the debates on the '03, I stopped by a local Chevy dealer yesterday on my way home to take a look for myself. All I can say is that I'm so glad I am the proud owner of an '02. Those new trucks are just ugly...they're fugly! Sorry if I stepped on some of you '03 owners, no malicious intent...just one man's honest opion!

MaxRock

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: MaxRock ]</p>

Tsckey
08-02-2002, 12:48
I wonder how many sales Chevy will lose because of the new front end. I know it lost one, mine. I switched from Chevy to GMC when I saw the Chicago Auto Show pics of the new treatment. I actually like the new GMC's, but you'd expect me to say that after buying one.

TC

TxDoc
08-02-2002, 21:18
A lot of people said they hated the Avalanche when it came out, but they sure seem to have no trouble selling them.

I really care more about whether I can depend on it to start when I turn the key, not break down much and have great dealer support after the sale.

Piney
08-02-2002, 21:37
TxDoc makes a good point. Chevy is selling a bunch of Avalanches. They're even selling them to people that think they're ugly.... The 03 Chevy is gonna take some time to get used to, but I don't think it will kill their sales. I just think it's a real shame to change such a good-looking vehicle after only two years.... :confused:

kbrowns
08-03-2002, 09:22
TxDoc is right they are selling a lot of those Av's. But they won't be selling me one or a Chev 03HD! I got my first look in person. My dealer had 3 X-cabs and one Reg. cab. One of the X-cabs was a D-Max. Boy are they uglyyyyyyyy. I didn't realize how much more material stuck out in front of the wheelwell. It kinda has a Dodge flavor to the side view of the front end. I don't like it. I also got to see the new "Arrival Blue" on a late production model 2002. It's nice, but doesn't have the same appeal as the indigo blue(it seems to be about 2 shades lighter). I'm looking to buy in less than a year now, I hope when I see the GMC in person I don't have the same reaction, I won't know what to do then :(

GrayMax
08-03-2002, 10:23
I tried my best to understand what the design department was thinking - for the life of me, I can't understand them at all! The new look IMHO is a loser, plain and simple. At the very least, did they eliminate those idiotic rubber hinge flaps yet?

I suppose some will like the new look - different strokes for different folks.

Husker Fan
08-05-2002, 08:24
I vote that it looks good. Kind of a Julia Roberts good. Meaning that it looks good, but you

Lawnboy
08-05-2002, 08:58
I would just like to say, for GM profit margin's sake, that they should at least keep the sheetmetal the same on all the trucks. Why different hoods, fenders, bumpers, etc.

Back in the day.....'73 - '87 you could make parts work. Cabs were the same, some minor changes in fenders/hoods, but nothing drastic.

Back in the day.....'88-'00 they didn't change a single piece of sheet metal. Good design, functional, worked well for 12 years. You could take the grill off of a 1988 C-K pickup, replace it with a 2000 grill, and have a hard time telling it really is an '88!!! I like that, other people LIKED THAT!..... Now they cant go 2 years without a, what I would call, major change. The '01/'02 fullsize GM truck is one very well thoughtout package that could have remained a very big seller for at least another 2-3yrs. Yes slight grille, and interior changes are very welcomed, but when hood, fender, and bumpers get changed, (for what many consider...the worse) things just don't make sense. GM probably knows about it, but the money they spent tooling up for the new design, they'll likely stay this way for 2-3 years.

HOPEFULLY they'll grow on us.

hoot
08-05-2002, 09:37
Look at Ford. You could take a door off a 1980 pickup and put it on a 1997 SuperDuty.

Here is a good look at the frontend of an HD..... Good angle shot that really shows what it looks like.

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/0C/BE/11465484-78c3-02000180-.jpg