PDA

View Full Version : !!!WARNING on rear rims!!!

Idle_Chatter
12-25-2002, 12:12
Well, I'm getting ready to make a run "home" to Florida, so I've been taking care of some last-minute items on the DMax before heading out and prior to the bad weather that rolled into the area last night. As many of you recall, I had a flat on the right rear a couple of months ago and could not get my stock PYO rim off the hub. Well, last item on my preps for Florida was a tire rotation. I loosened things up on the right side, jacked it up onto jackstands and pulled and swapped the right fronts and rears. Not a problem, as I had Never-Seezed the right rear hub on the flat issue. On the left, front was no problem, left rear was *WELDED* to the dang hub! I beat it, I kicked it, I used penetrating oil, I tried all the tricks previously offered: 1. let it down on four loose lugs and backed it up and down the driveway. 2. let it down on loose lugs and rocked the truck until stuff fell out of the bed. I used the factory bottle jack against the top of the tire and the frame. I *finally* decided that it was gonna come off and I put the factory bottle jack between the lower tire and the 3-ton jackstand under the rear axle and cranked on that puppy until I thought that I was gonna break the bead on the tire or puncture the sidewall before it finally broke free! That steel hub on the rears has such a tight-tolerance fit to the center hole on the rim that when it corrodes the rim is locked unbelievably tight and there's no "play" to break the seal! Take a word of advice after nearly three hours of jacking and sweating. If you don't pull your rears off now and Never-Seez that center, you better have a good cell phone or Onstar if you ever get a flat! :(

hdmax(mike)
12-25-2002, 12:43
Have you tryed dropping the truck several inches with a couple lug nut loosely on the lugs?
I had to do that once. (well three time) The last time I dropped it atleast 6-8" But it worked. Just a thought!

Idle_Chatter
12-25-2002, 13:34
Thanks for the info, Mike, but the tight fit on the center hole of the rim that binds to the hub makes that ineffective, the only thing that will break that sucker loose is leverage applied away from the hub. Maybe loosening up the lugs and punching it or jabbing the brakes could cause it to rotate free, but at the danger of ovaling the rim holes or bending/damaging lugs. I tell you what, once I got that sucker off, I'll never put one of those rear rims on again without Never-Seez! Just thought that the Page needed a "heads up" on this issue because you are in deep Kim-Shee if you have a flat rear out on the road!

mackin
12-25-2002, 14:47
i would guess the "drop" feature would work on the road if you drag your floor jack with ya......I want to see you guys crank that screw jack fast enough to get results,that will getcha sweating...While traffic is buzzing by.....I'd take the advice and rotate them tires with some anti seize handy.... ;)

MAC :D

Kennedy
12-26-2002, 09:25
Dielectric grease!

Idle_Chatter
12-26-2002, 09:58
JK, you use that dielectric grease for *everything*!! :D Problem is, my tube of dielectric grease is only 1/4 oz and wouldn't go far on a rear hub! tongue.gif

letsgo
12-26-2002, 10:19
I experienced the same problem when rotating the tires, at the same time thanking the good lord for not letting me have a flat on the highway, it took about 3/4 hr to get the left rear off, it didnt look rust but a very hard brown baked on substance. Used a fine file to remove crap and every wheel had anti-size put at the hub contact points.