PDA

View Full Version : OBD code 22 on a 1993 Chevy 6.5L K3500

rwcopter
08-02-2005, 19:08
I have a 93 4X4 K3500 with a error code of 22. NO good Diesel repair around here. Code 22 is for "Accelerator Pedel Position 1 circuit low". Is this a adjustment or a replacement of the sending unit????? Is there a after market for the sending unit???
Modify-8-3-05-To my understanding this 93 has 1/2 computer. The transmission totally and the engine only some things. This position unit is a sencor only, the rest of the throttle is totally manual.

[ 08-03-2005, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: rwcopter ]

BobND
08-02-2005, 20:45
1993 with a "fly-by-wire" system? I thought 1994 was the first year of that!

Anyhow, if you have the electronic accelerator pedal, there are 3 variable resistors in there, that vary as you "step on the gas".

The engine computer only needs one to function, the other 2 are redundant, for safety.

If you are setting a code for one of them being "out of spec", it could be a bad electronic accelerator pedal unit, or a bad connection or broken wire between the pedal sensor and the 'puter.

Have you tried clearing the code, to see if it will return? Also, check wires and connections, before condemning the pedal unit.

Bobbie Martin
08-03-2005, 13:22
I'm assuming you have a 4L80E. That is what the computer is for. While it uses some engine sensors to control the transmission, it does not control the engine, only the transmission.
Anyway, the code you are getting suggests you have a problem with your throttle position sensor, which is mounted on your DB2 mechanical injection pump. Its the white lump opposite the throttle cable with 3 wires coming out. You do not have an electronic throttle pedal like the later DS4 trucks do. You may be able to adjust the TPS or it may need replacement. If you have a workshop manual, it will tell you how to adjust the sensor. The sensor is slotted where it is held on by two screws. Its possible they came loose or it just moved over time, but they live is a harsh environment and they do fail after 150,000 miles or so. I think they are about $150 new. Your local Chevy dealer will probably have to order it if you need one. Hope this helps.

[ 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Martin ]