PDA

View Full Version : OK, what's the secret?

Trucker Tex
12-25-2002, 18:28
I consider myself a pretty fair shade tree mechanic, and I'm rarely unable to finish up a job I'm willing to take on in the first place.

But I'm ready to cry "calf rope" on how to get that far left screw back in to the heater shroud after changing the cabin fiters on my DMax. I've tried every jury rig idea I can think of and I can't get the damned thing back in.

Does anybody have the secret - short of disassembling the center console unit that is?

ccds
12-25-2002, 19:16
here is a link that might help you:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000571

When I changed mine in the 02 I used a flex screw drive and it worked but it wasn't pleasant..

smile.gif

Idle_Chatter
12-25-2002, 20:46
I don't know if it will help, but when I did mine I used a stubby ratchet wrench with a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and a 1/4 metric socket (7mm I think). That fit up into the recess with the wrench pretty much flush with the black plastic shroud. However, being forewarned (thanks Dieselpage!!) I did not take the far left screw completely out. I removed the right and center screws, loosened the left screw and made the swap with the shroud hanging from the left screw.

TBC
12-25-2002, 21:26
I did mine without removing the screw. Just carefully pulled the cover down and replaced both filters and put the two screws back in. I have done this twice but will find a way to do this and remove the screw since I am afraid it will eventually break the screw thru the cover.

Tom

letsgo
12-26-2002, 10:23
I added the leftover screw to the parts bin right next to the coffee cup holder.

good luck.

tjc
12-26-2002, 11:05
I used a tiny "c" clip to hold the screw into the shroud then a small xcelite nut wrench. This made it a lot easier.