PDA

View Full Version : Grade Brake-Downshift in Normal drive - Allison

reelbob6.6
05-22-2002, 06:34
I have a 2001 chevy duramax with allison transmission. Do these allisons downshift from 5th to 4th on grades when the brake is applied on steep hills in normal drive position? According to a chevy bulletin #02-07-30-004 I have it should down shift from 5th to 4th but mine does not and the dealers I have taken it to say nothing is wrong with mine. It shifts down great in the tow/haul mode but not in the regular drive mode?? I posted this on the 2500HD site. & thought I would try this one. THANKS FOR THE INFO IN ADVANCE - Bob

2001 2500HD
EXTEND. CAB.
6.6 DURAMAX
ALLISON TRAN.
15,000MILES LITTLE TOWING

glclary
05-22-2002, 08:40
Mine DOES downshift in normal drive when I am going down a steep hill with the brakes on. It does not happen as quickly as when in T/H though. Seems like the brakes have to be applied lightly for 2 or 3 seconds on a pretty steep grade before it happens. It doesn't downshift on every hill. I am sure its a computer thing and that somebody else on here can give you the scientific answer.

Have a nice day!

Lee ;)

Dave_WB3FYV
05-22-2002, 15:55
I read someplace that you have to have your foot off the accelerator (zero throttle position input to the computer) AND apply the brakes for 7 seconds before it downshifts to 4th. Note that 'any' throttle input, even resting your big toe on the pedal, will change the downshift pattern.
Mine does it fairly well, but I notice that after I have run in T/H mode for a while, it will downshift sooner.
You may want to try the tranny reset sequence explained in other posts to get it to learn how you drive. Then it may act better.

reelbob6.6
05-22-2002, 18:14
Thanks for the feedback. I did the 50mph - fifth to first sequence and hope the advocants are not ford owners getting a kick out of allison owners doing the crazy think??? I will try to see if I can get it to shift down as you both pointed out on my next trip out of the valley. I would think the dealers could reprogram the tcm & ecm without the drastic downshift sequence? but mine don't have a clue - did not know what "grade braking" is??
Thanks Bob