PDA

View Full Version : STEERING GEAR "CLUNK"

cantravel
05-25-2002, 16:30
OK. So now I have the steering column 'clunk' or whatever we are calling it.

Can someone refer me to the GM service bulletin number. Is this on recall, or just a fix if complaints are loud enough?

Thanks in advance!

01 Chev K3500 LT D/A Lbx Crew
Diesel Page Member #40

windjammer
05-28-2002, 15:56
sorry to hear you have the clunk, or rattle. Topic seems to get little attention.

docl
05-29-2002, 14:59
Hello Windjammer,
Traded a '01 with tight no rattle steering for a '02 with a distinct loose feeling in the steering with the associated 'rattle'. I knew it shortly after driving it from the dealership. I have taken it back twice for service for the rattle problem. The first time the intermediate shaft was replaced, they drove it felt the rattle with the new intermediate shaft called GM and were told to take the new intemediate shaft out and reinstall the old. They tightened some bolts the second time I took the truck in and I was told to expect some rattles with the HD as it has a much stiffer suspension. Sounds like the service regarding the steering rattle in Lubbock about like it is here in Amarillo. I have been waiting for an official TSB to give to my service manager. I am sure that will be a requirement before anything else is done the resolve this problem.

windjammer
05-30-2002, 09:30
Hi Docl,
My service manager has offered to follow the TSB that offers the grease kit as a solution. But, he will not install the steering box bearing without a TSB to follow. He admits that the grease is a temporary fix. I wished I could tell you to come to Lubbock for the repair but that appears to be a long way off. Your service manager's comment about the rattle is weak. The rattle seems to be an issue with very few of the HDs'. Therefore, it is not to be expected when ordering an HD. I'll keep you informed of my progress of lack of.

docl
05-30-2002, 14:28
Thanks Windjammer, I'll let you know if anything positive happens regarding the 'rattle' here as well. I actually make it to Lubbock quite often for concerts etc. I also help the Lubbock economy by sending patients for subspecialty care, another mess(medical insurance) but I won't get off on that tangent here.
Lewis