PDA

View Full Version : Allison Filter Change

kanton1
05-26-2002, 10:14
I know this has probably been discussed before, so please bear with me.

My truck will have 5k miles on it this weekend, so it is time to change the external allison filter. I know about the magnent, and what needs to be done.

My questions are these, How much fluid comes out of the tranny when the filter is pulled off? Do I have much time to inspect the magnent and the old filter before putting the new one on without having too much fluid run out? Or do I just have to take the magnent off the old one, put it on the new one, and reinstall asap? After the change approx how much fluid is needed to refill the tranny?

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

SoMnDMAX
05-26-2002, 10:43
The amount of fluid lost when changing the filter is right around a pint. You'll have plenty of time to inspect and clean the magnet, eat a burger, drink a beer, etc.. before reinstalling the filter. ;)

The filter change is actually much cleaner and easier than what most people think.....

SledZep
05-26-2002, 11:54
Changing the Allison filter was much cleaner than the oil filter..... You only lose what is in the filter.

GMFAN70
05-26-2002, 22:15
Fill the new filter with ATF (install the magnet) before installing it and you won't lose enough fluid to bother with.

Tim B
05-26-2002, 23:14
I just changed mine this weekend. You will lose what's in the filter plus about another 1/2 of a filter. Just have something under it to catch the extra fluid. It stops dripping after that small amount is lost - you won't lose all your fluid if that's what you're asking.
Clean the magnet, fill the new filter with fluid and screw it all back on. Then add a little bit thru the dipstick hole if you want.

Tim B.

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Tim B ]</p>

diesel-dog
05-27-2002, 19:04
I changed my tranny filter and started the changeover to Transynd last week(just drained what was in the pan)Anyway I made up a holder for the filter and it saves getting tranny fluid all over your hands while unscrewing the filter. Got an empty coffee can the type with the plastic lid. Traced the outline of the new filter onto the lid. Cut out inside the line (make it a shade smaller than the filter), then make radial slits outward to form fingers in the plastic. Again don't go overboard or the filter will slip right through. You want the finished product to support the filter filled with fluid. Then loosen your filter with filter wrench or strap and push coffee can with modified lid onto the filter. Spin coffee can until filter is almost off and hold there or support with something (brick/wood etc..) until the excess fluid has drained into the can. Now unscrew filter completely and catch any remaining fluid with the lid. Take old filter out of rig and put the new one in the lid,filler up with new fluid and screw back on. Tighten with filter wrench. Worked great with no mess on the garage floor or me.
I really enjoy working on my DMAX however hate getting an oil bath :mad:

kanton1
05-29-2002, 10:21
Thanks for the replies.

Kyle