PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

Tim B
05-26-2002, 23:29
I have 5000 miles on my 2002 D/A. Just found out I have an oil leak (several drips overnight). It's engine oil but not from the oil drain bolt or from the filter where it meets the engine. Can't see where it's coming from but will call the dealer for an appointment. Has anyone run into this problem ? If so, where was the leak ? I'd like to point the dealer in the right direction.

Thanks,

Tim B.

mackin
05-27-2002, 05:46
Tim B,

Where are you seeing the oil come from? Front,back,left,right,.....High , low .......

I'll assume it is on the left side (drivers side) cause you mention oil filter...So it could be the crankcase vent ........ I say could be ...... Take a look on the side of engine for a black tube ...... You have but 5k on it and the rings are not seated by no means and you might experience some additional venting and seepage...... Possible resulting in a drip or two ........
Good Ruck,
MAC :D

Don Guymon
05-27-2002, 05:49
Tim, I had the problem you mention when I changed my oil and filter. I used a Hastings filter since the Amsoil SDF-52 was not available at the time. A few days after the oil change I noticed a slight oil spot on my garage floor. The oil was leaking from between the filter and the filter mount. The oil pressure had forced about an inch of the filter gasket out of the filter rim breaking the seal. I switched to a second Hasings filter and had the same problem occur after about two weeks. After the second time having the leak, I was able to get the Amsoil SDF-52 and have not had the problem.

Albee
05-27-2002, 08:54
I picked up my truck on April 8, 2002. When I returned home I noticed a small spot of oil under the truck. As it turned out my oil pan gasket was leaking back on the rear passenger side. Took to dealer and no oil again as of yet.

mark45678
05-27-2002, 13:26
tim I dont know if GM has approved any other oil filter other then a pf 2232, does your truck have one on it? if not I would remove it and get one!!! these truck make upwards of 100 psi when there cold and if you dont have the correct filter on it it can blow up or leak!!! FYI

Tim B
05-27-2002, 21:55
Thanks for the replies guys.
The leak appears to be at the back of the motor. Oil is present on some of the metal framework in the area near the filter. I'm getting several drips overnight. Don't know if it leaks more when the engine is running or not - maybe I'll start it up and just let it idle for awhile and see if it drips.
The oil and filter were changed by the dealer. So the filter used is the right one. I've felt all around the filter (also drain bolt) and neither is leaking - they're dry. It could be the pan gasket, I'll check it out. And I'll also try to see if it's coming from the vent. Can someone tell me where the tube originates and where it ends ?

Again, thanks everyone.

Tim B.

Maverick
05-27-2002, 23:02
The vent runs down the front side of the engine on the pass. side. Mine seems to blow alot of oil (I think). Is something plugged?

DaveRuane
05-28-2002, 09:59
When I change my oil (8.1 L) it drips onto the front drive shaft universal joints. Often, this joint drips for awhile, or when spinning, spins oil around underbody. Could this be the problem?

AlaskaDmax
05-28-2002, 11:09
Also keep in mind that air moving under the truck at driving speeds will move the oil rearward.