PDA

View Full Version : Diesel or Gasser?

pktk
05-29-2005, 14:39
Trying to convince the wife that diesel is the only way to go..She wants to see the savings. BTW.. I only tow 5k trailer occationally for camping but use it extensively for hauling home owner building supplies. Also, I keep trucks until the doors fall off.

C. Babb
05-29-2005, 23:52
i would have to say a diesel, because the motor is going to last alot longer than a gasser, you will be saving money right now by going with gas, but down the road at the gas station when you fill up a gasser twice a week where as a diesel once a week and then 6-10 years from now when the gasser goes poop at 150K miles, the diesel will still be running strong ... that's why i came into this community

pktk
05-30-2005, 00:02
Thanks for the reply. I can see your point. But having to put synthetic oil in the diesel and more of it and replacing more expensive filters may eat into most of the savings? Then there's the reliability issues...how many miles can I put on this diesel before I start forking out the cash?

madmatt
05-30-2005, 18:47
theres pros and cons to both. you don't have to use syn. in diesels and the only major engine repair bill I've gave a cust. out of warr was about $2K for a pump, FF, R&I the tank and clean the fuel system because they got some real nasty funk in their fuel system @ about 120K. I've seen a lot of'em @ 200K w/ little to no problem. On the other hand though say @ 150K you blow an engine or crack a head. You could put a brand new gas engine in for what it would cost to patch a Duramax. Or got some dirty fuel? your looking @ about $1K for injectors and fuel filter and system flush for a new 6.0L or $4K+ for injectors (the special policy doesn't cover contamination related failures) alone in a Duramax. I drive a gas truck but I don't pull a big enough trailer or often enough to warrent the added cost of a diesel. I also trade every couple of years.

mark45678
05-31-2005, 16:24
the cost of the engine option I would think long and hard about a 6.0 gas truck...... 8K to pull something only 5000 lbs is a ton of extra power. real world lly trucks driven at 75 mph get just over 17 mpg , 6.0 gas trucks get right around 13~14 mpg

madmatt
05-31-2005, 18:32
I got about 16-17 out of my 6.0L w/ just a cold air intake and freed up my exhaust a little. It still got about 13mpg pulling my 24' enclosed quad hauler.

JeffsTowTruck
06-01-2005, 01:38
I bought my diesel for the fuel mileage. I was getting 5 to 7 mpg pulling my 29' TT no slides and no extras with gas. Now I'm pulling twice the weight, 37' w/silde and a golf cart in the bed, and getting 11 mpg.( I live in the mtns also) The diesel will/should out last a gas. I do my own small repairs and service so the cost has been very minimal.I would think you should be able to run the diesel w/o any major $$$ longer than a gas. You will have the same minor problems w/both, belts,alt,bat, etc. I would look for a dmax If I was going to buy something.
To me it is like the new and improved version.

alpo
06-01-2005, 05:23
I bought a new 6.0 truck in July last year; ordered it when I was overseas and didn't have a chance to test drive it. Like you, I thought it would be enough since I don't haul a big trailer very often. Didn't take long to realize I made a big, expensive mistake--I hated it. I live in the high desert with moderate hills/mts but the power/torque wasn't there, it sucked fuel, and the 4-spd tranny was always downshifting to get up small hills. Took me a couple months to get the gumption to break it to the wife that I wanted to sell the new truck and get a Duramax. I've had the 05 for about 4 months now and love it! As far as synthetic oil, your least cost option is to go with Amsoil and the bypass filters, and do the oil analysis--the oil can last a good long time that way. Al

BozDMAX
06-10-2005, 03:21
Last year (now the good old days, when gas was $1.49 and diesel $1.70) I did a quick cost analysis and using 7mpg/14mpg for the gas/diesel mileages, I came up with a breakeven point of 47,200 miles to cover the $4300 option cost (what I paid) of the diesel. My MPG assumptions are probably a bit off (7 is what my father gets on his F*rd V-10, whether he is pulling or not - which is why he does a lot more sitting)

At 9mpg and $2.15/gallon for gas and 15/$2.39 for diesel, breakeven moves up to 53,887.

Using Mark's figures of 13.5/17 mpg and you get a breakeven of 229K! I like my numbers better (even if his are right!) At least the motor will still be alive at 229k.

Assumptions: I did not take anything else into account. I don't think diesel will get too far out of whack with gas prices (but then, who ever figured diesel would ever be ABOVE the price of gas to begin with!)

So, if you are going to drive it until the doors fall off, diesel is probably the way to go. Resale/towing capacity issues also favor the diesel.

If you want the spreadsheet to play with, post your email address and I will send it to you. (do we allow email addresses here?)

ADub
06-10-2005, 04:32
Everyone talks about the extra cost of initially purchasing a diesel, but that initial investment doesn't disappear. Identical trucks with identical miles one gasser and one diesel, the diesel will always be worth more. And depreciation isn't as steep with a diesel as it is with a gasser. I looked at the fuel "savings" but what really sold me is that fact that I could drive my truck, keep it for a long time, and not have to worry about the value falling out from under me.

pktk
06-10-2005, 05:08
Thanks to all for the good advice...especially BozDMAX for "the numbers". The wifey is a numbers person and if I can show her in black and white...more points for me! You can send that spreedsheet to prkrohn@hotmail.com. So, If I can get the boss to relax about the initial cost of buying the diesel..it will be happy hunting for me..if not I'll have to settle with the gasser and she will never here the end of it from me.... Go Air Force!
TSgt Paul

batts496
06-10-2005, 05:14
With the DEALS they are suppose to have right now on new trucks, why not get her a gasser and you an oiler. Then everybody is happy, including the banker!

pktk
06-10-2005, 05:25
I've heard the deals for truck will be great in Sept. Perfect time for me to come back to the good ole USA! Forget keepin the banker happy...I'll be using my truck fund. She'll be keeping her mini-van.

pktk
06-11-2005, 01:15
Ok...I found a 01 4x4 Duramax with the 5 speed allison. It has 85k miles. He's asking 22k. From pictures it looks clean. But I want to be sure the engine and tranny haven't been abused. What should I look for and what questions should I ask? And do I have any room to negotiate on this truck. Seems like a good price? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BozDMAX
06-11-2005, 01:49
Paul - Are you still over in SK? I personally would not buy anything sight-unseen, even in pictures.

Ask to see the maintenance records.
Recalls done(don't remember if the tailgate cables went back to 01 or not).
Take the VIN to a dealer and see if they have anything open on it.
Take the whole truck to a dealer and have a mechanic go over the thing for you.

I think that a seller that would balk at any of the above is probably hiding something.

bamabadboy
06-12-2005, 03:52
My reason for choosing diesel over gas is for the pulling power. Fuel operating costs are a secondary consideration for me. I had a power stroke dually pulling a 17K fifth wheel with no problem. I sold them recently and bought a 2005 1500 4.8L to haul my enclosed motorcycle trailer with two big Harleys. The tranny went crazy shifting up and down. I had to use 3rd gear which ran my rpms up to 2500 and my MPG down to 10. I took the truck back to the dealer's and traded for a new 2500HD LLY and I am a happy trucker once again.

Spartus
06-12-2005, 14:33
I went with diesel for the pulling power and the mileage.

I had a 2000 3/4 ton and a 2001 3/4 ton, both with 6.0l engines. The best either ever got was 14 mpg 100% highway.. The 2001 was only getting 10 mpg highway when I sold it with 23k on the clock.. Towing 6k lbs the 2000 would get 12 mpg highway, and the 2001 would get 8 mpg highway.
The 2003 was better with 16mpg towing, but lately sucks diesel like it's going out of style.

I'm glad I have a 2003 Dmax now, but am a little errie as to weather this truck will last longer than my 93 I sold my brother, which now has 205k on it. 155k of that is on a Goodwrench replacement engine, which only cost 3k to have the dealership install about 7 years ago compared to 10k+ for a new Dmax engine..

The Dmax also costs more to maintain.

pktk
06-12-2005, 19:04
You've all sold me on the diesel. Unfortunately, I'll have to buy used. From the big three..which one will last the longest before major overhaul and what kind of maintenance costs can I expect? For example:
-Cummins claims the new and improved 2003 5.9 six banger can go for 15k miles before oil change and will get low 20s MPG highway. And has a life span of 350k (less moving parts). Will the older models do as well?

-The f*rd PS has had a good reputation but the tranny is questionable.

-The older Duramax has injector problems but an awesome tranny. This truck buying adventure has been challeging. Please help me make a good diesel decision. Thanks in advance.

bamabadboy
06-13-2005, 01:17
When I am buying used, I try to buy from a private party. The owner usually will level with you on the vehicle history and will show you maintenance records. Buying from a one-owner is a plus. You minimize the risk of getting a lemon. Of course, all used vehicles usually come with a "sold as is" caveat. As far as the pros/cons of the three different manufacturers, you will hear of the problems. What you don't hear much about are the hundreds and thousands of owners that have had zero problems with their diesels.