PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Transfercase

HotShot
07-17-2003, 00:45
Did a service on all the gear units under my truck a couple weeks ago, all was normal except the transfercase was low on oil but showed no leaks :confused: Been keeping an eye on it but no signs of a leak, probably from all the mud I've been getting in and washing off. Crawled under yesterday to fix a noisy exhaust hanger and low and behold, an oily spot on the transfercase. Middle of the back cover, below the output shaft. No seals or gaskets near there, suspected I cracked the case. Zipped over to the shop where I used to work and the shop foreman new what was wrong before we even looked. Lifted it up and there was a small hole where the oil was coming out.

They have seen this before. One of the parts eats its way out and wrecks the back cover. Haven't opened the case to figure out which part is doing this, they ship trannies and transfercases off to the rebuilder now to have them done.

Mine is a manual case and the other two were electric shift. All these trucks are driven in the oil patch and we've been playin in the mud almost constantly up here since it started to thaw. I suspect it is more likely related to the high milage and maybe a lot of 4x4 usage.