PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in Trailer Wiring Socket

Rebel_Horseman
12-27-2002, 12:36
Here's a question that's probably been asked but I'm going to ask it anyway. Have ya'll been having difficulty with water and moisture getting into the trailer wire plug under the bumper? I brought my truck to the trailer place that installed my brake box (Activator II) and he pulled the plug and a small amount of water came dribbling out. This water caused my box to register a 0.0 setting when unplugged when it should be registering nothing (i.e. just a ".") when unplugged. Has anyone else experienced this, and more importantly, is there an easy fix for it such as silicone?

Thanks,

Reb [><]

Kennedy
12-27-2002, 13:40
I generally coat with dielectric greas, but I'm not sure if you can access the back side wires. WD-40 will drive out the moisture. If you try to seal it, it can still condense so it is best to have a drain hole and/or DEFLECT moisture rather than try to seal.

letsgo
12-27-2002, 18:52
Like kennedy says buy a tube of (has to be)dielectric grease nothing with graphite, it will stop the oxidization (green stuff), at the same time cover the bases of all your light bulbs and sockets, It will save you all kinds of grief later.

good luck.