PDA

View Full Version : Tires refused

biglouieky
11-12-2003, 18:28
A large tire chain in Lexington refused to mount 285's on my Duramax today! Correction--refused to mount 8 ply Revos. They said that all diesel trucks require 10 ply tires!

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2003, 01:38
biglouieky

Kinda sucks, don't it?

Costco wouldn't install anything "less" than the OEM rating, regardless of the weight capacity. The tire guys there said, "If it ain't in the computer, I can't mount it." I was trying to get 285's. I could have bought the tires at Costo and had them mounted somewhere else, but that would have cost more in the end.

Had to go to my regular tire guy and fork over a few more bucks. He said they go by the weight rating only, and don't install under-rated tires on any vehicle. He said they don't even repair flats if they are under-rated. Something about liability and law suits....

addicted to coffee
11-15-2003, 22:43
Ran into a similar problem here in the peoples republic of Kalifornia...

I took the wheels to a local Big-O and said "Mount four of those" indicating the brand and model of tire. He baulked a little until I said that the Goodyear dealer was just down the street.

He may not have liked it, but he did it.

battmain
11-16-2003, 05:59
If you guys think that's bad, try getting BRAND NEW racing tires mounted on an OEM rim! The tires are DOT approved and designed so that the outside edges are smooth, while the inside has the grooves. The fine folks say they wont mount the tire because it is too worn. Never mind that the tire has never been mounted and never been on the road. :rolleyes:

AlanL
11-17-2003, 10:27
I found that Wal-Mart (if they have an auto center of course) is a great place to get race tires mounted... at Watkins Glen, they'll do them for $8 a tire - mounted and balanced!

They'd probably do truck tires as well, regardless of weight rating.

-Al

JimWilson
11-18-2003, 07:03
It's amazing (appalling?) how ignorant and ill-informed some people are. Can you image the "advice" that guy has given to other people? Makes you wonder how many have been lead astray because of his mis-information... :confused: