PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 No start

dieselluver
08-03-2005, 11:28
Hi all,
I'm workin on a neighbor's '94 6.5TD and it has major problems, I think. I put a new pump on and the problems went away for about 30 miles, and it died dead in its tracks. I connected the Snap-On scanner and it worked before, but now when I turn the key on, its blacks out. Also, the WTS, SES, and STS lights don't come on, along with the glow plugs. The lift pump does run, and the shut off solenoid is getting power. I checked fuses, connectors, grounds, and can't find anything. I can't even get codes with a paperclip.

Ideas, anyone? All suggestions appreciated!

Ryan

Iain
08-03-2005, 12:53
I have had the same problem on my 1994 as well. My problem was the fusible link off of the passenger side pbattery cable that provides power to your ignition and thus to everything else on the truck. My truck would be driving fine and then die just like you turned the key off. Sometimes it would start back up and other times it would not until you wiggled the wire a bit. I replaced the bit that was corroded and now it no more problems.

Hope this is the fix you were looking for!

Iain

Hubert
08-03-2005, 14:07
No power to dash lights ... I agree probe where you have power starting at batteries and follow to fuse blocks then fuses and keep going until you are sure power is getting to components.

dieselluver
08-03-2005, 14:55
Thanks for the replies. I guess I forgot to say that it cranks fine but doesn't fire. Its weird that half the crap works, and the other stuff doesn't.

Ryan

JohnC
08-04-2005, 08:16
Ignition switches in the '94s are problematic, and a lot cheaper than the '95 version, too!

C.K. Piquup
08-05-2005, 17:43
Is the connection to the pump good?I`d start there.It`s not an ignition problem,I don`t think.I had this problem when installing a brand-new crate engine complete with pump & turbo.I got out on the road and it died.It was a bad connection at the I/P.

landrea
08-07-2005, 13:28
I have kind of the same problen now too.My 95 drove home fine then two hours later I got in her and she would crank and fire up and then die right out.I made a few tests and we decided the inj. pump was bad.After a day and a half in the 90 degree heat in my drive the pump wae done but now she only cranks no fire what so ever!!!!!I borrowed the dealer scanner and when cranking it shows NO rpm ,it has power to tho crank sensor,I checked it has fuel at the pump but not at the injectors.Bad pump or maybe a bad PCM? :confused: :confused:

dieselluver
08-07-2005, 13:39
I am getting sick of this 6.5. I tried starting it, and it tried to fire and I was getting data from the scanner too. I was getting rpm signal and tps% only part of the time. When it wouldn't fire is when I was getting dead readings from the sensors. Any ideas?

Ryan

landrea
08-07-2005, 14:46
Soooo :mad: I'm thinking of a cure A CAN OF GAS AND A FLARE!!!!!!
:mad: :D

dieselluver
08-08-2005, 03:45
Yea, that is beginning to sound like something I'd like to do to this pickup. And while I'm at it, I'll torch that darn IH 886 tractor, too. Maybe its the heat that is gettin to me. :mad:

Ryan