PDA

View Full Version : 2001 trucks and everyone else

Jake99Z71
12-27-2002, 20:00
This is just a word of warning to all the 2001 Allison owners. I recently had my trans out and found 2 bolts loose on the flex plate TC. One bolt was backed out 3 threads and rusty on those threads. The other was just not torqued. I only have 40K miles on it. I was told by my local dealer they had replaced 3 transmissions because of loose torque converter bolts. I would recommend to everyone to check them if you have not had the transmission out.

BobNelson
12-27-2002, 22:10
Was there a reason for having the transmission out?

Jake99Z71
12-27-2002, 22:24
Yes, to help a local shop work on trans upgrade testing. Also to get their staff trained in removal.

Turbo Al
12-28-2002, 10:42
Thanks Jake, I will put it on my list of things to do when it stops raining. You are the exact opposite of me, I have to be dragged screaming to the repair shop, I do most of the work myself. It is good of you to "lend" them your truck.

On Edit: You didn't happen to get a torque spec for the bolts did you -- or anyone else for that matter have it handy??

[ 12-28-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

hoot
12-28-2002, 10:59
"Was there a reason for having the transmission out?"

He put in a triple lock converter.

How do we check the bolts and tighten if required without removing the trans?

[ 12-28-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

BobNelson
12-28-2002, 11:01
Jake... thanks for the info update.. Wasn't sure if you were just taking it apart for fun or ??

Turbo.... so "when" will you get to do the work? It never stops raining in Mission... Except for the RV4. A pure stroke of luck ;)

My D/A is still under warrantee, so will keep the techs trained a little longer... actually, a small dealership and 3 techs, and the owner have the Dmax. They test on their rigs first (more miles). I will print this post and give to the ServMgr. He actually has a small notebook of stuff like this.

Enjoy the day.

Jake99Z71
12-28-2002, 11:07
Turbo Al,
Here is the torque spec. for the converter to flex plate should be 44 lb. ft. You will have to remove the starter to access these bolts. If I remember correctly they are 9/16 bolts. We found the easiest way to access was to pull the downpipe then the starter then the front plastic skid plate. We used a 3' extension on a universal to reach from the front of the engine.

SteveO
12-28-2002, 11:07
Hi Guys,

Torque Converter bolts Torque to 44lb Ft.. Part number for new bolts which have patch lock already installed is 11519291.. I highly recommend either installing new bolts or installing the old bolts with TREAD LOCK I do not recommend just checking the torque if you have gone that far...

You will have to remove the starter to gain access to these bolts.. Torque is 58lb ft...

Turbo Al
12-29-2002, 10:06
Bob Nelson, If you can see the Mountains it's not raining --- it's about to. ;) --- RV4 sunshine, I think that was just pure will power.

Thanks for the specs Steveo and Jake. Steve when I check torque I set the torque wrench a few lbs low and just listen for the click. If they start to turn I will Re. & Re. with locktight - thanks for the tip.