PDA

View Full Version : Allison cold weather quirks.

Budz
12-27-2002, 20:29
Thought this might be interesting reading for all of our cold weather friends. I ran across this at GM Service Technical College. Maybe it has been posted before but I haven't seen it. Might save you a needless worry and trip to the dealer.

"Operating Characteristics"

"There are a few "quirks" with the Allison LCT 1000 that you should be aware of, especially cold weather driving. The transmission has the ability to perform some tricks to help heat itself up when cold. Some of the strategies are;

- 49 degrees Fahrenheit or below the transmission will not go anywhere until the temperature sensor tells the TCM it is above this specification. A P0713 may also set.

-31 degrees to -49 degrees the transmission will operate in Second Gear and Reverse only, this makes the transmission work harder and heat up faster. There will also be no TCC.

From -13 degrees to -31 degrees you will have Second, Third and Reverse with no TCC engagement available.

From -4 degrees to -13 degrees there will be First through Fourth Gears and Reverse with no TCC.

From +71 degrees to - 5 degrees there will be First through Fifth Gears and Reverse but no TCC lock up.

Some other operational characteristics to be aware of are a hum at idle due to the large capacity gear pump, first and second gear set noise, firmer shifts and a click in Park during start ups (this is caused by the valves moving)."

Budz
2003 D/A CC SB

Diesel Freak
12-27-2002, 20:35
That's good stuff to know! If the weather here in Montana ever returns to normal, I'm sure I'll get to try out all of those temperature ranges!

hdmax(mike)
12-27-2002, 20:53
That is old news, but don`t hurt to get a refresher now an then. As for the +71 to -5. I don`t believe it is accurate. My transmission will not shift into 5th gear at 20* so I know it won`t do it at -5*. It will not shift into 5th gear until the gauge is above the 100* mark.

bluenote
12-28-2002, 10:02
While my '01 does have higher shift points when the allison is cold, it certainly shifts into 5th gear before the gauge moves over the 100

SteveO
12-28-2002, 10:12
hdmax (mike),

The trans is going into 5th gear, what your feeling is the lack of Torque Converter (TCC)lock up.. This helps the trans and engine warm up faster..

hdmax(mike)
12-28-2002, 14:07
SteveO; If that is the case, then why does it run at 2000 rpm while running 55 mph. Then once the temperature gets over the 100* mark it feels like a shift then the rpm drop to about 1600?

SteveO
12-28-2002, 14:18
Mike,

The RPM drop (shift) is Lockup aka: Torque Converter Clutch applying.

When this happens you will see a 300-400 Rpm drop..

Hope that helps..

Steve Overcash

[ 12-28-2002: Message edited by: SteveO ]</p>

hdmax(mike)
12-28-2002, 16:58
Thanks SteveO! It`s as good a answer as I would expect. If you live long enough, and learn every day, You will know everything! :D
Thanks again SteveO.

Bill Knieper
12-28-2002, 17:31
Question for you fellows. When it is cool out, say 20 degrees, and I first start out in the morning, when the Allison is in first or second grear it feels like a manual trans. When I take my foot off the gas, the truck slows down rapidly and I feel like I should push the clutch in, if there was one. Is this normal?
Thanks