PDA

View Full Version : Bent Tailgate

mfontana
07-17-2003, 20:10
I don't want to look at a bent tailgate so I'll ask first. I want to load a golf cart into the back of my 2500 HD. The ramps lean on the tailgate. The cart would go across the tailgate before going into the bed. The cart weighs 1100 pounds. About 50% on the front wheels and 50 % on the rear wheels. Will the tailgate hold? The cart is too long to remove the tailgate. Any suggestions?

Jack's Dmax
07-17-2003, 20:48
If I were faced with the same situation I would not attempt to load that Golf Cart. You should use a trailer instead.

Good luck with your decision,

Jack

Nixter
07-17-2003, 21:53
If it was me and my truck I think I would do it. If the tires of the golf cart would be out towards the end of the tailgate when loaded maybe not. Within a foot of the crack I would judge it OK. If possible you may want to load the heavy end (if there is one) toward the cab. Make sure it doesn't roll into the cab ay any point. Have you measured for clearance between the wheel wells? Also you may want to check the cables for rust before you proceed. I have seen a thread about them breaking due to rust. Whatever you do don't hurt yourself. You could probably rent or borrow a little trailer fairly easily. --Nick

Modified
07-18-2003, 03:07
You can always remove the tailgate, and then not worry about it.

Bullseye54
07-18-2003, 07:23
Put a piece of 3/4 plywood over tailgate into the bed & leave the tailgate down.What I would worry about are the cables holding.

Toxictretr
07-18-2003, 07:58
Last night I needed to put my goldwing in the back of my shortbed truck (going to Sturgis). The bike hangs over the gate about 1 foot and my ramp has the fingers that hang onto the end of the gate. Me and the wing come in at around 1050#s. I was more worried about the cables than anything else. What i did was put some 3/4 inch plywood that hung over the gate by 1 foot to support the back of the bike. I was still worried about the gate and the cable thing so i used 2 good tie downs to help support the gate. I hooked them to the hole in the latch and to the latch post, I took out the slack so the cables had slack. When I loaded the bike the tiedowns streched and the gate ended up being supported by both cables and tiedowns. It turned out great. I even jumped up and down on the gate with the bike on it.

HD-Nate
07-18-2003, 08:47
First off, will it fit???

We bought a golf cart for our Corvette Club picnic to haul people from the cars to the picnic area. The cart was too wide to fit in the back of my Z71 SB or my 3500 Long bed.
We ended up using a small trailer.

I had a

mdrag
07-18-2003, 09:15
Transferred to the 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.