PDA

View Full Version : No brakes or power steering - DMAX_Phil!!

LB_7
11-13-2003, 09:36
I'm a new member. Just registered today. I've got an '03 Chevy 2500HD, with a Duramax and a 6 speed manual. I love my truck!!

I've just had my first real significant issue with it in the year that I've owned it. I simultaneously lost my brakes and power steering after the truck had been sitting for a few days. After about 45 minutes of playing with it, those systems came back to normal operation.

Among other things, I use my truck to tow an enclosed car trailer (I've got 2 '70 Chevelles) that when loaded weighs about 10,000 lbs. I can't afford for there to be no brakes and steering - EVER - from a safety point of view.

I'm now getting the run around from GM on fixing it under warranty because they can't get it to replicate the condition. I read a thread here from January, 2003 (1/14/03 to be exact) authored by DMAX_Phil. According to the thread, the problem is the hydro booster. Phil was able to get GM to provide a replacement under warranty eventhough his dealer couldn't get it to replicate.

My dealer is trying to help, but they are a very small dealership and the regional service rep here is holding firm. The GM technical people say there's no way a hydro booster could cause such a condition and until the dealer's service department staff can get it to replicate the condition -- No fix!! I even supplied a copy of Phil's thread to them to look at and to document that I'm not the only one. Still no fix.

If possible, I'd like to find out as many details about Phil's or similar occurences you all have had and what support/service you were able to get GM to provide. Specific dates and locations of the dealership involved would be helpful - Service request numbers would be ideal! Please email me with any relevant info.

Thanks in advance for the help! I really appreciate it!!

Andy

DF
11-17-2003, 05:50
It's happened to me 3 times. By the time I horse it out of the garage and get turned around so that a rollback can take it to the dealer, it has started working again. Dealer looked at it after the first time and could not find anything wrong. Don't have enough room to let them drag it out the garage, so I have to position it to have it towed. The first time I spent at least 30 minutes messing with it before it freed up. The last 2 time I just horsed the steering wheel around and in 2 minutes or less it freed up.

LB_7
11-17-2003, 06:00
DF

Just curious. What year/model is your truck?

There's 2 other related topics going on here.

We're not alone!!

Andy

DF
11-18-2003, 04:59
It's a 2001 2500 HD. The first occurance was around 17,000 miles, the last 2 around 34,000 miles. Talked to the dealer yesterday, he was not concerned about the problem. Said he hadn't heard of any others having that problem either.

DF
11-18-2003, 05:00
It's a 2001 2500 HD. The first occurance was around 17,000 miles, the last 2 around 34,000 miles. Talked to the dealer yesterday, he was not concerned about the problem. Said he hadn't heard of any others having that problem either.

LB_7
11-18-2003, 05:18
DF

Suggest you print out this one and the other 2 threads that are running and let him know you are not alone - not by a long shot!!

Could be the "Company Line", though.

Andy

MAV
11-19-2003, 05:59
I had this happen once with my 01 3500. Happened around 50K and never again. Sold it with 123.000 miles.

JMPDMax
11-19-2003, 06:23
You've found the weakness of the HydroBoost system. The brakes and power steering both run off of the power steering pump. I suspect that when the fluid is cold the pump is having trouble building pressure. I know in my truck that I can stand on the brakes and not have power steering.

The pump just can't deliver... GM is not alone with this problem either, there have been many posts on the Ford forums about this same problem.

One way around it would be to put in a vacuum pump and retrofit a vacuum boost brake system and let it work the brakes. This will take some of the load off the PS pump.

Of course, if we complain enough maybe we can get someone to improve the hydroboost system. After all its decades old technology.

Later...

LB_7
11-19-2003, 11:16
JP

Here's a couple suggestions where to start:

Mr. John Smith
Group Vice President,
Vehicle Sales, Service & Marketing
Chevrolet
PO Box 33170
Detroit, Michigan 48232

or

Mr. Robert Lutz
Vice Chairman,
Product Development
General Motors Corporation
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, Michigan 48265-3000

Please join me in reminding them about their obligations (moral, ethical and legal) for customer and public safety!!

Thanks.

Andy

[ 11-19-2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: LB_7 ]

Cliffee
11-19-2003, 23:24
I was told that GM was going to "Electric Assist" on the steering in the future partly because of this problem. Maybe after few people get killed they will do it within the next 10 years!

[ 11-19-2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Cliffee ]

8.1PWR
11-20-2003, 06:44
The new 2004 Malibu has electric power steering.
Maybe its not that far off for the trucks. I believe that the rear steering on the quadra steer is electric. I know that doesn't help those with the problem now.