PDA

View Full Version : fog lamp replacement bulbs

mtomac
12-29-2002, 08:48
DS fog light burned out. I'm looking at replacing the 27 watt bulb with a 37.5 watt bulb. Is this too much? I remember reading earlier about someone melting things with a higher wattage bulb, but I can't remember the wattage. Also is there anything other than halogen replacement bulbs for the foglights. I have Silverstars for the headlights and would like something similar for the foglights, but silverstars aren't available for foglights yet and the HID foglight replacement kits are too pricey.

JimWilson
12-29-2002, 09:12
If you have SilverStar's for headlights then you obviously care enough to want to see where you're going, so why bother with those pathetic factory fogs? I tried the 37 watt bulbs in mine when I first got the truck -- and you could tell the difference -- but all that did was make them s*ck a little less. ;)

If you're really serious about proper lighting you're best bet is to dump them entirely and get real fog lights. That's what I did...

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

mackin
12-29-2002, 18:57
Be careful with upping the wattage.....Those internal reflectors get hot quick and will melt the internal plastic resulting in them falling down, making them totally junk....I cooked mine with 55's.....I have PICS on picture trail in the don't do this file....

To bad there is no aftermarket dam for GMC'S.....

MAC

Dawg
12-29-2002, 19:09
I have the 37's in mine with no heat problems. Still only slightly better than stock.

DieselDavy
12-29-2002, 20:37
Dawg,
Where did you get the 37W bulbs?
Dave

xwing
12-29-2002, 22:49
I replaced my stock bulbs with the 37 watt bulbs available at auto store. They are a little brighter; but one fog has apparently leaked some water into itself/and maybe melted a bit, because the plastic reflector in the center has fallen off inside, and the rear reflector has black splotches where the reflective substance has flaked off. Basically any upgrade to these is upgrading a turd IMO.
I will get better lights sometime; plan on PIAA pencil beams or some such...

Silver Bullet
12-30-2002, 15:44
37 or 38 watters...whatever it takes!! They work well...I have not had any problems and I use 'em if my headlights are on.

JimWilson - they suck even less if you stabilize 'em a little to prevent shaking. I made a bracket that goes from the adjustment screw on the fog light to a close by bolt (I don't remember which one off the top of my head).

Jimamatic
12-30-2002, 21:30
Same as Dawg......

mark45678
12-31-2002, 15:47
I have had 37 watt lamps in mine for 6 months with a 24hr run strait threw the night from NC to MA. No problems..... I would spend a few seconds aiming the head lamps and fog lamps to maximize the coverage. this helps about as much as the larger lamps did! the lamps are at ANY auto parts store,dont know what they fit OEM but just look and you will see there are 3 differnt wattages 25,37,55 DONT GET THE 55W !!!! this will only end up going to the dealer with a stupid tail of how I did a dumb thing........ ;)

Dawg
12-31-2002, 20:27
I bought mine from the local Schuck's Auto Parts.