PDA

View Full Version : Installing Bilsteins?

SWLA
11-14-2003, 09:48
Just got my Bilsteins in. Planned to have a local shop do the install as I've never installed a set of shocks before. Called several places, and no one would do it unless they had sold me the shocks. So it looks like I'll be doing it myself, so I could use some advice. I don't have a floor jack, never need it for the things I'm comfortable doing on the truck. I think the rears are not a problem, but do you cut the retaining straps the shocks were shipped in prior to install? I guess my concern was if I cut the straps and they expand, can I comprees them easily to fit in the brackets?

As far as the fronts, I've read several post that they jacked up the front and removed the wheels to install the shocks. Others said they did it by just turning the wheels. Is removing the wheel only an access issue, or do you need to do it to release tension on the OEM shock to get it out and to fit the replacement in?

Any advice is appreciated.
Keane

Idle_Chatter
11-14-2003, 10:19
Not a problem, no jack needed. The rears are a very straight-forward remove and replace, I think I used a 7/8 and 13/16 box wrench - a 10" crescent will help too. The fronts have a small bolt/nut through the bottom (9/16 or 1/2)and you'll need a small crescent to hold the top of the upper shaft by the flats while tightening the nut onto the rubber grommets. Do the fronts by turning the front wheel all the way right for the left side and all the way left for the other side (or vice-versa), you'll see which way gives you the most access. Takes all of about 30 minutes to do all four. The shocks are gas-pressurized and have a plastic keeper strap on them. Don't cut the straps prior to installation! I found it easiest to get the top mountings assembled finger-tight and then to cut the straps and ease the lower ends into the brackets and slide in the bolts while holding the lower shock tube against the gas pressure. This is more important on the fronts, where tighter clearances would make it very difficult to wrestle an unfettered shock against the internal pressure.

SWLA
11-14-2003, 12:17
Tom,

Your last statement is exactly my concern. The fronts did not come with any compression straps, just the back. So essentially they are fully expanded. Should I try to compress them?

Idle_Chatter
11-14-2003, 13:16
Naw, just put on your lower rubber bushing, insert the shock from below and put on the upper bushing-plate-nut finger tight. You should then be able to slowly compress the shock against the gas pressure from below until you can line up the lower eye with the bracket and slip in the bolt. Remember to push slowly on the shock when compressing, or you'll be fighting both gas pressure and oil valving.

SWLA
11-14-2003, 14:13
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Greg McCall
11-15-2003, 06:02
Let me add that my son (chevy dealer mechanic)installed my Bilstein's yesterday and the ride is a remarkable difference.
One thing he mentioned was that he used the stock rubber bushings on the fronts, as the bushings that came with the Bilstein shocks did not have a "plate" built into them to take up the space between shock shaft and truck. (My truck only has 30,000 miles and the stock bushings were like new)

It is a shame GM does not offer these shocks anymore on the HD. My 98 Z-71 had them.

zip
11-15-2003, 12:38
Actually, the front bushings are mfr'd with a boss on one end which faces the other bushing boss when installed. A drawing for installation is included with the shock. But I would think you're ok using the oem plastic bushing if it's reusable.
I used 21mm wrench and socket on the bigger bolts and 15mm on the oem front top locknut. The Bilstein locknut takes a 17mm wrench. I held the top of the front shock with a 1/4 " wrench.
Had to jack up the front a little bit on the frame rail. Turn the wheels all the way to get real good access to the bolts. Rear shocks didn't require jacking.(or turning the wheel) :D
zip

MaxACL
11-15-2003, 14:26
Greg McCall, I have a question on your Flowmaster and Juice. I'll be home Thanksgiving (all day). Would you drop me an email?

Mike

miketheboo@hotmail.com
gary.langford@mcguire.af.mil

SWLA
11-16-2003, 18:54
Got them installed this afternoon. Easier than I expected. Took maybe an hour and a half. Only had time for a short trip, but they made a noticable difference. Thanks for the advice.

AlanL
11-17-2003, 10:23
I installed mine this weekend, too. I could tell the difference immediately.

No more driving down the highway and feeling like a boat on a lake.

My truck only has 24500 miles and one of the stock rear shocks was leaking!

-Al