PDA

View Full Version : TC making alot of noise

thechevyhdman
12-30-2002, 00:37
The other day I had to swing through a snow covered lot with mud underneath the snow to pick up some spare tires I have stored in a barn. Unknowing how slick it was I had a rough time getting in and out. I wasnt really beating the heck out of the truck but had to do some serious rocking and full pedal flooring to make my way through. My torque converter has made some funny sounds before (while doing things I shouldnt) But yesterday it was bad, it would only make alot of noise while deaccelerating. It was like a sound ABS brakes make while braking but 10 times louder. Within 2 minutes my tranny temps went up 50 degrees. Do you this this noise would be normal under the conditions, or will/is my TC poopin the bed. I experienced my first Limp Mode(lost reverse) So I shut off the truck and started back up she was ok, suprisingly NO SES. I guess Id consider the noise to be a heavy vibration or a grinding sound. I havent checked my fluid to see if the TC is sending junk through the rest of my tranny yet. Mackin and I have both experienced this noise, while I hate admiting that I do it....While laying some smoke show strips. Should I be concerned? The truck goes in for service on Thursday to check out my front end from my proir mishap with a gaurdrail, so I will have them check it out. Just would like an Allison expert to let me know what to tell or ask my stealership. Thanks in Advance Bill

mackin
12-30-2002, 05:17
"Mackin and I have both experienced this noise, while I hate admiting that I do it....While laying some smoke show strips."

That's all right bud this is the first step towards recovery......

Yes,I too have have slipped,a meeting may be neccesary....No church basement,or VFW hall,but the back parking lot at MAGGIE McFLY'S.....

You know Bill I can make this noise at will,I hate to admit....While spooling a burner,not good ....The only way not to make the noise it let it run out..If your spinning and stomp the brakes it sends some serious feed back which sounds like the torque converter was spinning like mad and doesn't need to any more....Really does it when you stay stationary....Kinda a weird rattling buzzing vibration noise but no feed back in brake peddle like ABS.....

MAC :D

Forced Induction
12-30-2002, 08:29
Mack, did you ever experience this problem/ grinding sound while powerbraking?? I noticed this sound while powerbraking one day, rather severly, I might add, the brake pedal was on the floor to hold the truck back, my bad :( Now the TC has a vibration between 1800 and 2200 and is more sever or noticible in T/H when the converter is locked. (4wd makes it worse yet) I'm interested in the new converter that JK is working on testing maybe that will solve all my problems/concerns.
One other stupid question that I know doesn't belong in this topic, but where do I find my Member Number??
Thanks Again, JA

mackin
12-30-2002, 09:45
Forced Induction

Yup that will do it...Especially when you let of the go, but stay on the stop.....Mine only does it in this manner...No long term,or issues, problems yet....

Member forum # is in your profile....Your member member # as in my SIG I think I asked Jim for it???

MAC :D

thechevyhdman
12-30-2002, 12:05
I guess it would be normal under the circumstances. Just 8K miles away from the end of the warranty kinda makes me faint having to pay up for a new tranny. Maybe someone else could chime in and let us know what it is (exactly) that we are hearing. Bill