PDA

View Full Version : Steering and brake oil?

YZF1R
12-30-2002, 11:20
I havn't seen this mentioned before, but does anyone change the hydraulic fluid for their steering and brakes? I think I may do mine in the spring and every 25,000 mi. or so after. I know it is a relatively closed system but figured it may be good to get the old stuff out after 10,000 mi. or so of run in.

I guess you would pull off a return line to the pump sump. Then run a hose into a can, have someone start the engine and add fresh fluid untill clean fluid came out the return. I'm not sure if it would run out like a garden hose or like a fire hose though.

Any thoughts?

Steve

DmaxMaverick
12-30-2002, 18:25
The recommended fluid is "power steering fluid". Don't know the GM part #.

I flush/fill my systems with Amsoil synthetic ATF. Power steering fluid is Dex III ATF, of another color. I've found that the Amsoil ATF works well with the hydroboost systems in the past, and the new system is the same as the older ones. I've never had any brakedowns or leaks using it. It also seems to quite down the pump.

Easy process, no matter which fluid you use.

Remove the return line from the booster. It's the only one held on by a clamp. Place a long hose onto the nipple and route it into a large jug or bucket. With engine idling, slowly pump the brake pedal, and cycle the steering, lock to lock. When the pump noise changes, stop and refill it. Do this until the fluid coming out is the same as going in. Usually takes about 2 - 3 qts. Replace the return line and cycle the brake pedal and steering full cycle until you are sure all the air is out. Top it off and you are good to go. I do this about every 100K.

Cheers.

YZF1R
12-31-2002, 11:41
Thanks for the tips DmaxMaverick. Sounds good to me.

Steve