PDA

View Full Version : 3500 weighs 7500lbs = No property tax break in VA?

c5dura
12-30-2002, 15:51
A few years ago VA started reducing the personal property tax burden on autos. In a nutshell, you get a 80% discount on the first $20k each year.

The exception is all trucks that weigh more than 7500lbs don't qualify for this discount. Now I have a 3500 crew cab long bed, but I still think my truck is under 7500 #. According to that review over on pickuptruck.com (or whatever) where they ran the new Ferd and Dodge against the duramax, I thought it was stated that a 3500 weighs around 6900# or so?

Before loosing sleep over this, I was wondering if anyone knows of the weight that is being talked about is empty weight or loaded? If empty, I might have a shot at it.

The other thing counting against me is that the DMV registred the truck as a "real truck", that is, I didn't get regular plates, but rather "truck" plates. Could this be the reason why the state doesn't consider this vehicle for the rebate?

Getting 80% knocked of the 1st 20 grand sure would help reduce the tax on this truck...

Jelisfc
12-30-2002, 16:07
I think you're SOL bud. The kiss of death is having an actual truck plate on it.

SteveO
12-30-2002, 16:47
c5dura,

The best thing IMO is to go have the truck weighted..

That way if the DMV says prove the truck weights under 7500 you have the scale ticket in hand smile.gif

Cat Scales are probably some of the most well known..
Here is the link>>>> http://www.catscale.com/

All you have to do is>>>

Drive all the way to the end of the scales with one set of axles on each concrete pad>>>JUMP (call button is always 10 ft off the ground it seems) up and push the big button.. Tell the person you need your personal truck weighted WITHOUT you or passenges and go inside give the lady 6 bucks... smile.gif :D :D She will give you a fancy Big Rig trading card and a sheet w/ the Certifed Weight...

Steve

Somis Duramax
12-30-2002, 17:07
c5, On the invoice for my 03 3500 it lists shipping wt as 6463. Any help? smile.gif

c5dura
12-30-2002, 18:26
SteveO, looks like I got a CAT scale (neat web site, btw) 36 miles from here. Might have to check it out if the the issue is just the weight of the truck and not that I run "Truck" plates. Heck, from your description, the experience alone will be worth the trip!

Somis, that seems to confirm that the 3500's are less than 7500#. It just might help!

But why would the dealer have put "Truck" plates on it if 7500 is indeed the deciding factor?

I'll call the county when they are back to a regular schedule and ask if I provide them with the certified weight of my truck, and its less than 7500, that I'll get the discount.

Definitely worth looking into for roughly $500 a year savings...

C5dura

srubrn
12-30-2002, 18:45
Don't fret on the taxes. When my truck was new 11/01 according to the local tax people it was a year old. My tag cost me $479, I bought my new tag today, which MS has NASCAR tags. I got Dale Jr. My tag was $385.

c5dura
12-30-2002, 19:05
srubrn, I cringed when I learned my tags went from $26.50 to $52.00 since I had "truck" plates. I feel much better now, thank you. ;)

C5dura

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>

FirstDiesel
12-30-2002, 20:14
Hell you guys got it made. My tag was 80 bucks vs. 24 for the car. But the property tax, yes that's just like it's a house, was over 900 bucks!

FstTrack
12-30-2002, 20:23
when I ran mine on the scale it was 7800# if there scale was acurate . I am sure it has 2 or 3 hundred pounds extra since stock but I bet they are real close to the 7500 mark.

4X496Dooley
12-31-2002, 00:06
I've got a 3500 ext.cab 4x4 with the 8.1 / Allison. It weighs 7000lbs total, 3900lbs on the front and 3100lbs on the rear tires. Hope this helps.

Dave S
12-31-2002, 07:34
02 3500, D/A, CC, 4x4, w/full tank of fuel, otherwise empty, no driver. 7420lbs on a grain elevator scale

KenZ
12-31-2002, 08:02
c5dura,

I too am in Virginia and have the truck plates. The truck plates allow you to carry the full rating of the truck. If you don't have the truck plates and load up, you most likely will be illegal. But I doubt that you would get caught and weighed. I don't know about the personal property tax. If you find out let me know. I would think it would be on the load capacity of the vehicle. Same thing on this tax benefit("loophole") that you can get. It is based on the weight rating of the vehicle and not actual scale weight empty. So I guess you win some and loose some. I got hit with a personal property tax over $1000.00. Don't rememeber the exact amount. I thought it was because it was in my business name, but maybe not. At least you get to write this off your income, so you are taxed on 1000 less--so you get a little back there.

Ken

mowser
12-31-2002, 09:24
My 3500LT ExtCab 4X4 weighed 7,670 lbs without me in it, But....... subtract about:

100 for the aluminum Box
120 for the Taylor Wing
200 for the 5th Wheel Hitch
60 or so for the S.S. Steps
Leaves around 7,190 Lbs.
give or take 50 Lbs.

c5dura
12-31-2002, 09:47
I spoke to the county and they told me its because of the truck tags that the truck doesn't qualify for the state rebate. The girl told me to take it up with the DMV and they would be happy to change things on their end if DMV will put regular tags on the truck.

The state currently value my truck at $40,225, and the annual tax comes to $1,187.52, which is 2.95%.

By having the truck included under the rebate plan, my bill would be reduced by $20,000 * 0.7 * 0.0295 or $413.00. (I get 70% off the 1st $20k, not 80% as previsouly posted.

KenZ, looking at my tax statement, I notice that is states that a qualified vehicle must be used less than 50% for business purposes. Don't know if that makes a difference in your situation or not.

Good point about the legal rating decreasing with regular plates. You're correct that I get to subtract this amount from my taxable income. Perhaps I shouldn't fret over a couple hundred bucks a year, although that could have been one extra mod each year. :D

At least they don't know about the tractor, the farm truck, the 4-wheeler or the dirt bike since they aren't registered with the DMV...

c5dura

KenZ
12-31-2002, 12:34
c5dura,

Thanks for checking into it. I do use my truck over 50% for business. Yeh, I thought the same thing as you--at least they don't know about the---. I think the state of Virginia would tax anything you claimed that you owned. That 1000+ tax bill still hurts though, especially since we paid a sales tax on it when we bought it and will have to pay that PP tax forever!

Ken

Big O
12-31-2002, 15:25
Dad-gum, some of you people are getting seriously screwed on taxes/license. You need to have a revolt in some states. A $1000+ yearly for taxes on you P/U? :mad: :mad: :eek:

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO BE "UNELECTED"

Diverguy
12-31-2002, 15:48
c5dura;
I do not understand this concept. I thought Canadians were overtaxed. Let's see if I understand this: You bought a one ton Chevy dmax, the State of Virginia includes it as an asset with your house and land and they want to tax you annually for the privelege of owning this vehicle? You paid a state tax upon purchase and they want to keep levying a tax on the same vehicle annually? Am I correct? You should consider moving across the border. I purchased my truck, paid the federal tax plus the provincial sales along with the luxury tax (don't ask). When I renew my insurance annually there is a cheap license/registration fee (less than $100). That's it. As far as the province of B.C. is concerned I've paid my pound of flesh with the vehicle purchase price.

2K2AD
12-31-2002, 16:04
Currently residing in the great Commonwealth of Virginia, I kindly warn you not to start a debate over the "frivolous tax in VA' issue. The DP will soon have its servers crash and the bandwidth of this site will increase ten fold. I am fortunate enough to be in the military and get to pass on most of the taxes people who claim VA have to pay. They sure do not look happy waiting in line when I walk by to pick up my free city sticker or pay my inexpensive registration.

Kevin

JEBar
12-31-2002, 16:27
Dear old NC has the same yearly property tax. If a vehicle weighs over 4,000 pounds it must have a tag which has "Commercial" stamped into the top of the tag. Now get this, this does not mean it is a commericial vehilce, only that it is over 4,000 .... but try to convince a cop on a Parkway that your vehicle is private not business with our tag. Numerous complaints from people who have recieved tickets has prompted NC to change their tags to where in 2004 the word "Weighted" will replace the word "Commercial" ... still means our tags will cost much more than one for a 1500 truck but at least the change may make it easier on those who travel out of state ... Jim

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: JEBar ]</p>

YZF1R
12-31-2002, 16:45
I tagged mine with a class 4 weight rating. I believe they were $185.00. This is in Pa.

Also, scaled mine when new. Empty, full tank of fuel, no one in the truck. 6,550lbs.

Steve

Big O
12-31-2002, 18:20
When I bought my truck, I paid 7.5% sales tax on $24K(Price minus trade-in)---ONE TIME! My Farm Tags cost $20 for either 2 or 4 years. :D :D
Even Private Tags only run about $20/year. :D
Now I don't feel quite so bad about the $1800 in sale tax, but I still b*t#h about it.

Stage 1
12-31-2002, 19:39
C5dura,
FYI,
Also in VA, if you tow w/"truck" tags you need to register your truck for the combined wt. of the truck and trailer ( e.g. truck is 7500 lbs and max. trailer wt. is 10,000 lbs) registered wt. needs to be 17,500 lbs.
Also, I believe the magic number in VA is combined wt of 10k lbs for truck/trailer and you can not use "car" tags, must be a truck tag.

VA is checking truck/trailers all the time now, new state program, w/big fines! For out of state tags, VA says you need to comply w/VA law if driving here, also NC is more stringent that you must comply w/their laws. States just started this program last year, several friends had to buy new truck because they were over weight.

Just a heads up, also be aware of the safety equipment requirements for trailer and tow vehicle which will be checked if you are stopped.

2K2AD
01-01-2003, 10:29
IIRC the 'magic' number to put you into TU/TT tags is 9600 GCVWR. When I got my tags the dealership was more than willing to put car tags on it, but the salesman insisted I call the DMV to find out the deal (he felt I should have the TU/TT tags). I called from the tags dude's office in the dealership and the DMV said I could tag with the car tags, but I better not load or pull w/more than 9600lbs. He also made mention that it had recently become a point of interest with insurance companies if you were to ever get in a wreck and not be tagged to carry such weight (don't know how/why). I felt much more comfortable with the truck tags, but I don't pay personal property tax either.

Kevin

Diesel Dog
01-02-2003, 09:08
I had the same problem when I had truck tags on my pickup. The lady at Fauquier County Tax office was very helpful and explained the tax structure to me. I went to DMV, told them I wanted regular car tags, and I walked out with them. Then informed the county, and whalla, property tax went WAY down.