PDA

View Full Version : 99-01--Check your fenders!

DmaxMaverick
06-25-2005, 12:33
Ran across a TSB that raised an eyebrow.

The bulletin covers 99-01 Silverado/Sierra trucks with "Steel Wideside Pickup Box". The brace at the rear wheel opening, rear of the wheel, may allow flexing of the sheet metal, and lead to stress cracking of the sheet metal if the vehicle is driven off highway a lot (whatever GM's idea of that is). I checked mine, and sure enough, there is a 2" long crack behind the brace on the left side.

The older support is a single "pencil brace" that supports the lower edge of the sheet metal rear of the wheel. The updated brace is a "V" shaped brace.

If you still have warranty, it should be covered. If not, the bulletin lists part numbers of the updated brace, left and right sides.

It may be a good idea to get the braces updated, even if you don't off road.

Bulletin info:

TSB# 01-08-66-008

October 2001

Release of New Pickup Box Side Panel Rear Braces

Models:
1999-2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra) with Steel Wideside Pickup Box (RPO E63)

Part #'s:

15072625 (left)

15072624 (right)

Gmpartsdirect.com lists the parts. $6.56 each side. Dealer list is $11.11 each side.

Buck
06-26-2005, 07:37
Apparently GM figured this out before production of the '02 trucks?

DmaxMaverick
06-26-2005, 07:48
Looks that way. The TSB states only up to M/Y 01 is effected. The bulletin was released 10-01 and says the updated brace has been installed in later vehicles. It's easy to confirm. If the brace is a "V" shape, it's updated. Mine has a single rod.

More Power
06-27-2005, 12:41
Good catch DM...

My truck has the V-shaped rod at the front and a single rod at the rear of each rear wheel-well opening.

I ordered a new set... smile.gif

MP

DmaxMaverick
06-27-2005, 12:56
That's good if you didn't find a crack.

Upon closer examination, it appears the sheet metal is bound to crack if any deflection is allowed. The crack started at the edge where the sheet metal was folded (reinforced??) and the lower bolt for the brace mounts. The brace is very solid, but allows for lateral deflection of the sheet metal. It would probably be worse if wheel opening flares/moldings are not installed. They do add some rigidity. The updated "V" brace should prevent any lateral deflection, in theory. I had a look at my "older" vehicles, and all of them have a "V" shaped brace in the same place. Wonder why GM downgraded it for these years. Damn bean counters!!

Turbo Al
06-29-2005, 17:03
I did look at mine but as I figured it is impossible to tell if it is cracked because there is a TON of undercoating in that area. I will install the new parts though
Thanks DmaxMaverick
Al