PDA

View Full Version : NSBU switch thingy-problem plowing???

Johnny Diesel
11-17-2003, 18:46
I read somewhere that this switch can get iced up and cause a problem when plowing. I think I read that a tan or white one is the color to have also. I don't know where mine is but I will order an extra and be familiar with how to change it if need arises. I really depend on that plow money to help tame my christmas bills. Any plow folks here have a problem with this NSBU switch. I know about plowsite,I just wanted to try a Duramax/Ally source first.

heartbeatcanada
11-17-2003, 19:01
Yes the tan one is suppose to be better. My original went first winter, replacement(tan) went last year. I now keep a spare with me at all times. When i have time i want to make up a half a$$ed sheild to stop the ice and snow from building up near the connection and melting and running into the connection. Best bet is have a spare with you, or you'll be plowing in 3rd gear only, if she goes, and trust me the tranny temps get real hot. Later Jeremy

dmaxalliTech
11-17-2003, 19:02
It mounts on the drivers side of the transmission. The tan switch has better contacts internally and is sealed better from the elements. Its a good idea to replace it with the updated or at least carry a spare. If it goes goofy, you could loose shifting capabilities. Its no fun to plow in 3rd gear

mdrag
11-17-2003, 20:25
http://thumb6.webshots.com/s/thumb1/8/90/76/55289076kfrneI_th.jpg

Here is a comparison pic of the old (black) vs. new (tan) NSBU switch. More pics of the NSBU SWITCHES HERE (http://community.webshots.com/album/55288748cLgPNd). The Allison Part# 29540479 for the new style switch is on the box in a few of the pictures. IIRC, the switch was about $50 from my Allison dealer.

I'm transferring this topic to the 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

bob
11-24-2003, 17:40
I have a 2003 do I have to worry about this?

DonG
11-24-2003, 21:37
bob,

Some of the 2003 trucks came with the old NSBU Switch.
Slide under the truck and look at the switch. It is on the outside of the transmission and easily seen. If its black, you have the old style; if it is tan, then you have the new style.

Don

2fast2
11-25-2003, 10:11
I have a 2003, and just looked and found I have the old style switch.
Is this a recall situation I can discuss with the Chevy dealer, or do I just have to wait for a problem and hope it occurs on a weekday, during business hours, near a Chevrolet dealership, while this is still under warranty? :-/
I hate the thought of spending so much money on a "top of the line" truck and then having to go spend $50 on a revised switch.
Or maybe it won't be an issue since I'm in NC, without much salt or snow.
I also noticed the front prop shaft is already covered in surface rust. Poor quality there, if you ask me. Grrr.
Jim

Maxter
11-25-2003, 17:04
I have a 2002, my original black NSBU went @ around 45,000 km, thanks to this board I got my dealer to install the newer model switch instead of the black one they were about to install.

My newer switch is presently ging as we speak @ 88,000 km. The exact same symptoms as before begining with eratic PRND321 display and loss of automatic door unlock when back in Park. Won't be long before I can't go over 3rd and worse; the final blow... stuck in 3rd.

I do alot of mud/slush/snow on my farm and I plow my roads in the winter.

Dealer wants 225$CAN for the switch and my Allison Dealer want's 88$CAN.

Seems like a regular item I will be changing every year... GM should put that in the service manual... "Change NSBU switch every 45,000 km" Go figure.

77TransAm
11-26-2003, 05:58
2fast2, the odds of your NSBU switch surviving are definitely better for you than they are for anyone living in a snowy climate. The vast majority of switches that fail are in the northern part of the country.

It is not a recall item, and in NC the dealer probably will not have seen enough failures to want to change it out for you "just in case." smile.gif

bob
11-28-2003, 17:06
Any one know of an allison dealer in north eastern IL or south east WI.Would my local IH dealer carry it?

DonG
11-28-2003, 18:32
bob,
Use the Internet to search for Allison. Just www.allisontransmission.com (http://www.allisontransmission.com) Make sure you specify the 1000 series transmission.

The closest 1000 series dealer was 70 miles from me. I called him up and he willing sent me two allison spin on filters for a very good price. They arrived in two days.

Good Luck, Don

[ 11-28-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Don G ]

Buckman
12-02-2003, 08:18
bob,
Try Inland Detroit Diesel-Allison, Inc. They are located at 210 Alexandra Way in Carol Stream. The location is east of County Farm Road on the south side of North Avenue (Hwy 64). smile.gif Their phone number is 630-871-1111.

bob
12-10-2003, 16:39
Went to Fruend IH in Huntly switch was 48.00 and allison spin on was 10.00 I'm happy!