PDA

View Full Version : DON'T TAKE YOUR HD OFF-ROAD!!!!!!

GrayMax
11-14-2001, 14:37
I was out prowling the woods this weekend as I do every year mostly during the month of October/November. As I was turning the big "low riding" beast around, my right body mount bracket, welded to the frame got high centered on a VERY LOW tree stump. I bent up the bracket and I had to use 4WD to get off of the tree stump. Also, while I was backing up, a good size stick caught the front parking light assemble and ripped it off http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/eek.gif The good news here is that it snapped right back in to place. No screws, just two snaps - someone was thinking here. Now before you go drawing conclusions, I would like to point out a few things:

- My Z-71 never, ever had a problem high centering in these same woods. Matter of fact, never a problem 4-wheeling at all!

- I am a very, moderate 4-wheeler. That is, I do not go 4-wheeling just to go 4-wheeling. I always opt for 4WD vehicles to get me in and out of primitive boat launches, get me out of trouble when I'm off road going to and from my hunting/fishing spots, snow, etc. Yep, I'm one of those 5% of the time 4WD users - well worth the extra $$ IMHO.

My point here is: This ordeal could have been disastrous. Had it taken out my tranny filter, fuel cooler, etc.

What in the hell was Chevy thinking making this off-road truck sit so fricking low????

If you must go off road, put bigger tires on it, raise the torsion bars, get a truck lift, do something to get that frame up higher! For me, I'm using my wife's ZR2 next time I go off road and leave the D-Max at home for trailer towing use only. At least until 2004, know what I mean Steve http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/wink.gif

DURAMAXHD2001
11-14-2001, 16:09
SUCH AS MINE I THINK THE LARGE FRAME RAILS AND LOW DROP WAS TO ALLOW ROOM FOR ALLI TO BE INSTALLED. KNOCKED MI FOG LIGHT OUT IN THE CORN FIELD WHILE DRIVING THE EDGES LOOKING AROUND(SCOUTING FOR DEER TRAILS IN A HURRY). FIND THE BEAST TO BE SATISFACTORY OFF ROAD WITH THE ADDITION OF THE 305-70-16 TIRES AND 10 INCH RIMS.

------------------
DURABLEMAXXIMUS THATS THE NEW BREED UNTOUCHABLE 01 HD2500 DURA/ALI RED EXT. CAB SHORTY. SHELL BIG TIRES AND PRETTY CHROME

BobNelson
11-14-2001, 20:38
took my 3500 on a Search And Rescue mission last week. Was in some pretty sloppy mud at 6000'. Moved through it great. Fortunately, no stumps.

Seems the 1500 Z71 package I use to have was set up a lot higher with different shocks. Since I spend only a few weeks a year in the real back road area, will probably leave mine stock (but keep the winch handy)

------------------
2001 3500 EC LS 4X4 D/A, 1999 Caribou 11J Camper
(12000 miles, 5000+ plus w/camper on and 15.01 mpg avg. Love it...

4x4TX
11-15-2001, 07:35
DuramxHD2001, lets see some pics of your truck with 10's and 305's...I am calling BS on that...I have been there done that, 10's wouldnt even fit with the narrower 285's...

------------------
01 Crew cab LT 4x4 2500HD 6" RCD suspension lift with 315 (35's)Goodyear MTR's
www.picturetrail.com/4x4

Breck
11-15-2001, 09:09
The "Professional Grade Engineers" that design these things live in "metro Detroit" and their idea of off roading is a gravel parking lot at their kids

hoot
11-15-2001, 10:51
They certainly aren't good stock trucks for hard core offroading. Frames are too low. A good suspension lift cures that.

They should have designed the chassis with off road use in mind. How do they expect to sell these things to companies that need that capability.

Ford hit it at both ends, good off road, good on road. GM always seems to leave something important out in everything they do.

Another example is the lousy Allison towing manners. This truck is billed as the best puller and they program the tranny to take that away. STUPID!

------------------
Mike (dmax) DP Member #2429
2001 2500HD GMC Duramax/Allison Summit White CC/SB Loaded, Amsoil Air Filter, PS2K Propane, 22 Gal. LP Tank, Straight Piped, Allison Deep Pan, Transynd Syn ATF, SPA DG-111 Boost/EGT, Nordskog Digital Fuel Level, VentShades, Husky Mudflaps, 255/85-R16 Dunlop Radial Rover RV's PICTURES (http://onramp.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc)
1994 K1500 Blazer 350 Loaded, Flowmaster duals

Marquitos
11-15-2001, 11:17
Why did GM build these trucks with low ground clearance?? I'm just guessing, but Ibet it has something to do with keeping the center of gravity low to minimumize roll over potential. There's have been a lot of negative press for other OEM's in this regard lately on some to the most popular "off-road" SUV's. I'm guessing that GM didn't want any part of that with their new highly acclaimed HD's being marketed to the SUV crowd as well. As always off-the-shelf designs are usually a compromise. That's why folks do upgrades and other things to their trucks to get them working like they want. Just my $.02 worth---
Marquitos

LFH
11-15-2001, 18:23
As much as I hate to say it, I crawled under the Outback Wagon and then the Dmax 4X4.
Lowest measured point to ground on the Outback was 8.5 inches. The Dmax 7.5 inches.

Yes I know this will vary slightly with amount of pressure in the tires and ambient temperature. But still, I had more ground clearance under the old 86 2wd CC with FACTORY 235/85's.

I will be going to the taller tires at a point in time. Gotta wear out the stock 245/75's

hjd3021
11-15-2001, 20:04
The reason for the lower height has to do with the use of a 5th wheel trailer. The Fords have been too high to accomodate the standard 5th wheel trailer hitch units without adding spacers to raise the trailer height. GM decided to fix their truck height to accomodate that market.

LFH
11-16-2001, 17:06
So Regis, the question is "Did GM really build the ground clearance height of the HD trucks to satisfy a very small percentage of RV owners"? I only have one Life Line left. Can I ask the audience? http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/confused.gif

ryeguy
11-16-2001, 17:55
Granted, I don't plan on taking my HD offroad (I'm picking it up tomorrow!), but it is built and designed (IHMO) to work. Offroad performance is, and should be, secondary particularly for a HD work truck. Granted (again) I doubt you should have hung it up on the stump, but just because vehicle A makes an obstacle (even a stump) doesn't mean that vehicle B will. I've got a 4x4 toy for the bush, and the HD is for work and towing the 4x4 toy to the bush. (With a minimum of 18 inches clearance, it'll be a big stump to high-center my toy!)

IMHO GM got it right. If you wanted better trail performance, IMHO the 1/2-ton would have been a better choice, if nothing else for suspension travel and diff clearance.

For Ford getting it right, to each their own. IMHO they've raised (compromised) the center of gravity for generally cosmetic reasons more than I'd want for a work truck.

--Rob

stretch
11-16-2001, 18:00
Well guys and gals, I feel your pain. The ground clearance sucks. May I suggest a Polaris Sportsman or a Yamaha Grizzly for your serious off road excursions. For the serious diehards - Argo 6 wheeler http://ffspirits.finalfantasy.gamigo.de/smiliez/smz/956.gif

------------------
PROUD AMERICAN If you don't LOVE this country - LEAVE

2001 2500HD LS Ext.Cab,short bed,D-max,Allison, Onyx black w/graphite int.Leer 700 hard tonneau,16X8 Eagle Alloys w/265-75-16 Coopers, Powerplay from Kennedy diesel

1988 K1500 shortbed stepside Paxton supercharged 4" Trailmaster lift w/33" tires

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

Hoss
11-16-2001, 18:56
I have to agree with hjd3021 on this one.... I didn't buy a $40,000 truck to take it out running through the mudholes. What I did buy this truck for was to pull a 32' Pace gooseneck and that it does quite well! I already have to put 4" spacers on top of the torsion axles on the trailer to level it out, just glad I don't have to raise it anymore. Its bad enuough pulling onto a site and have to worry about the gooseneck slamming into the bed rails because the ground is uneven, with a taller truck, I wouldn't have any sides left on my bed. Just my .02 worth.

------------------
Hoss...

2001 Chevy 3500 LS Crew-Cab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Graphite Int., Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Line-X Bedliner, Amsoil air filter

Member since Jan 2001

GrayMax
11-16-2001, 20:03
Hmmmm, using the above logic, I should run out and buy another truck like a Dodge or a Ford to moderately drive off road with on my way to my favorite hunting and fishing spots, keep my HD just for towing so I don't get high centered on a pebble, get mud on it or worse yet, get a scratch on it! No, no, can't be doing that to a "truck." Maybe I should get a Honda Foreman to put in the back of my HD so I can use the Quad once I run out of asphalt for the HD OR, get a Dodge or Ford for all of the above. Lets see.......help me out guys, what makes better economical sense: One truck that does it all like towing, hauling, off-road use, or 2 vehicles for separate uses such as: My HD for towing and hauling (on asphalt only now) and another truck strictly for off-road use.

GrayMax
11-16-2001, 20:10
One other thing for the guys that are worried about the 5'ver not measuring up. Flip the axel on the trailer! Don't lower your truck. IMHO, adjusting the trailer is much more practical and flipping the axel to raise it is VERY common.

TO THE MAX
11-16-2001, 20:41
I don't go 4 wheeling at all with my 40k truck but let me get this right. We asked for the most comfortable truck - we got it, we asked for the best mileage truck - we got it, we want the best truck to pull our 5ers - we got it. What more could we want?

I don't thing their is a truck out there to fill everyone's needs. Just my .02

------------------
GMC 3500 HD LT Pewter
Owens Running Boards, Covercraft truck cover,
K&N air Filter,
Zaino Bros Car Care,
GM Bed Cover,
Vinca-Shield Protectant,
Vent Shades,
ISSPro EGT and Boost
gauges,
picturetrail.com/tothemax (http://www.picturetrail.com/tothemax)

MSSM
11-17-2001, 12:43
Well my HD IS a work truck and it spends 99% of the day off road in mud, slop, you name it, it's been in it. I'm a pipeline welder and I have to be off road and I'm wish there was more ground clearance on these trucks. **knock on wood** haven't got hung up on a stump yet on the job but I have screwed up a brand new tire on this truck from a stump.

I have a special bed on my truck and I took it off my dodge. I have a 29' bumper pull travel trailer and I had to modify my hitch on my bed in order to pull the trailer so it was at least half way level.

Hoss
11-17-2001, 19:06
GrayMax,
No, I don't think I need separate trucks for hunting and fishing... use mine all the time. Have had my truck off-road plenty, just am a little more cautious where I take it. I rely on this truck for work so I don't plan on taking it mud-boggin. Broke truck = no work = can't make payments. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/frown.gif
As far as lowering the truck, I wouldn't dreak of it. But, I do need to raise my trailer with blocks. Can't flip torsion bars. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Hoss...

2001 Chevy 3500 LS Crew-Cab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Graphite Int., Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Line-X Bedliner, Amsoil air filter

Member since Jan 2001

randym
11-17-2001, 19:24
For those who prefer those high center of gravity trucks, and are into jacking their 5th wheels up to match, why not consider adding a sail to the trailer as well so it will really pull hard.

Lone Eagle
11-17-2001, 21:12
It is real plane to me that a lot of you guys haven't had much experience in four wheel drive. To start with almost no one actually takes a 4X4 off the road. Most 4X4 running is done down dirt roads. Let me tell you one thing I know to be a fact. No other brand will give you a better ride and go faster down a rough road than the Chevy-GMC.
If you climb under the competition and measure the ground under the front differential you will feel a lot better. The only area of concern to me is the rear end. In 30 years of four wheeling I have learned how to miss big rocks and stumps and we have plenty of both here in northern Utah. Later! Lone Eagle

OilMan
11-17-2001, 22:20
I have no problems going off-road in my 2500HD, after installing larger tires, of course. I love its on-road/towing capabilities as well.
I regularly travel down some of the worse roads known to man in my line of business. I do my deer hunting up and down the Pecos river in the roadless canyons near the Rio Grande. And I consider this Chevy to be as useful in being able to go anywhere I want to go as well as any other D***e or F**d truck I have ever owned.

------------------
2001 2500HD DuraMax/Allison Crew Cab 4x4 SWB

GrayMax
11-17-2001, 22:25
Lone Eagle,

I looked all over for that front differential on my 2500 HD but couldn't find it http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I'm not sure I want to measure the competition, I'm already bummed out after measuring the ground clearance on my wife's ZR2. She has a 15" frame to ground clearance, beating my HD by a 3" http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/eek.gif Her ZR2 also has a 1" advantage on rear differential to ground clearance.

Diesel Dan
11-17-2001, 22:41
I don't hardcore run my crew cabs(anymore). We do pull a 18' flatbed with up to 6 ATVs. This does require going off the main road to the trail head, in an area that has been clear cut(lots of stumps). My '88 with SFA easily clears the stumps, when we take the IFS truck I have to carefully pic my line.

As far as washboard roads, they are both 1 tons, neither rides that good. For 5th wheel heigth, I bought the '93 IFS truck after I already had the '88, the springs on the trailer had to be flipped to clear the '93s bed.

The bed of the '93 sits higher(with shorter tires) than the '88, the '88 has more ground clearance. The new HD beds are higher than my '93, and they have a crossmember below the frame which the '93 doesn't. I can see where the ground clearance is an issue on the new HDs.

------------------
1988 chevy crew cab
1 ton 4x4, 6.2L, TH400, 4.10s, gear vendor OD
1993 K3500 crew cab dually 6.5TD auto

Kansas Kid
11-18-2001, 00:37
The bed of the '93 sits higher(with shorter tires) than the '88, the '88 has more ground clearance. The new HD beds are higher than my '93, and they have a crossmember below the frame which the '93 doesn't. I can see where the ground clearance is an issue on the new HDs.

I was comparing the ground clearance of the frame on my truck (89 1/2 ton 4x4) to a 2500HD last night. Both had the same size tires, so it was a fairly equal comparison. I could fit my boot under the frame on my truck just barely, and on the HD my boot wouldn't quite fit. The tires on the HD didn't look like they had near enough air in them, so the clearance on both frames was pretty close. But that damn tranny crossmember screws everything up. Its a good 2" lower then the frame, just hanging there waiting to catch on something.

Now I don't go off-road much other then what some farm work requires, and my current truck has just enough clearance. I imagine that crossmember would get me hung up in the 2500HD. I don't know what can be done about it, but I'd have to try and find something. (as well as bigger tires)

HD=HossDiesel
11-18-2001, 01:16
I crawled under mine today and noticed the cross member you speak of. I don't think its any lower than the the Oil Pan and skid plate in front of it! I already learned my lesson about off roading in a 40,000 Truck Before I bought this one. If you want it to look nice....Don't Do It.

------------------
Hoss' Diesel
2001 GMC 2500HD SLT C/C D/A...1st One & I LOVE IT
Onyx/Graphite Leather
Every Opt.

MSSM
11-19-2001, 20:17
by: OilMan: I regularly travel down some of the worse roads known to man in my line of business.

We travel down the same wonderful oilfield roads!!

Lone Eagle
11-19-2001, 20:54
I crawled under a 01 2500 D***E today and measured the ground clearance at the front differential. With 275X70X17" tires it measured 9 1/4". This is 3/8" more than my 2500HD. What is the big deal? I could easily get this with with the torsion bars with out screwing up the camber angle. Later! Lone Eaglen

NorCalDMAX
11-19-2001, 23:00
Ok I want to cut in here, With all the infinite wisdom we have all acquired over the years of owning and driving trucks why would you complain about the truck you just bought. Did we not do our homework? I would believe that if anybody was going to plunk down $40K on a truck and you needed a function specific vehicle then the fault lies with you. I am one of those 10% off road use kind of guys. I bought my set up to tow a big car trailer or a boat and camper. I bought it for a specific function. I use mine to pull up from boat ramps, go over snowy mountain passes(I am never putting chains on again)and of course going down back roads fishing. I like others will look for stumps, rocks and avoid them. As someone said, you will not find a truck that will satisfy every need.

------------------
2001 Chevrolet K3500 LS Duramax/Allison 4x4 CC LB "Dooley" Victory Red/Light Grey Leather with Bench Front seat.

E-mail: cii@onebox.com

Homepage. www.j-line-racing.cityslide.com (http://www.j-line-racing.cityslide.com)

Pat T
11-20-2001, 05:42
I work for gas utility in NW PA, they had been using the Chevy 4x4 pickups with utility bed and fiberglass caps for the regulation/measurement guys, then started going to Dodges the last couple years because of better fleet pricing. Dodges are MUCH harder to work out of if you are in & out of the back all day long. Also, they have been having trouble with the front ends on the Dodges, apparently lots of suspension/mechanical trouble. Not trying to brand bash, just pointing out it's nice to be closer to the ground sometimes.

Pat

hoot
11-20-2001, 06:23
There recently was a news article on the Dodge front ends. Dodge had to buy back a bunch of them cause of the shakey front ends.

Also, I'm with NorCalDMAX. If you want to go rock crawling or are using the truck in places where high ground clearance is a must, you made a big mistake if you bought this truck. Most of us don't need the massive ground clearance that others feel is so important in a 4x4.

Another thing to look at is the length of the truck. Reg cab HD's won't high-center nearly as easily as a crew cab. You don't expect to be taking big long trucks into really rough terrain. If you need to, you need bigger tires and a suspension lift.

Lone Eagle,

Using the front dif measurement as an example is not a good comparison. The tires will take you over a sharp high "bump" and you won't high center as easily in the Dodge or Ford. It's a fact. Let's all accept it.

The ultimate I guess would be push button height. Suspension that changes at the push of a button!

------------------
Mike (dmax) DP Member #2429
2001 2500HD GMC Duramax/Allison Summit White CC/SB Loaded, Amsoil Air Filter, PS2K Propane, 22 Gal. LP Tank, Straight Piped, Allison Deep Pan, Transynd Syn ATF, SPA DG-111 Boost/EGT, Nordskog Digital Fuel Level, VentShades, Husky Mudflaps, 255/85-R16 Dunlop Radial Rover RV's PICTURES (http://onramp.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc)
1994 K1500 Blazer 350 Loaded, Flowmaster duals

GrayMax
11-20-2001, 08:07
NorCal,

I agree, part of doing homework is driving the truck and physically looking it over. However, I did my homework for a year prior to buying the truck! I liked what I read from many, many articles, including following the power tour articles. I made the decision to order when they were first available. Ordered July 2000 (Keep in mind, no trucks built then.) Yes, hind site tells me never to do this again, but I had no reason to believe this truck would be a low rider compared to my other Chevy trucks. So yes, I do have a legitimate gripe here. I'm also going to be ridding myself of it not only for this problem but others as well. If your happy with your truck, great! no worries at all. I have higer expectations of a "4X4 truck" and plan on getting one but have to wait until '04 late '03. Face it, a truck that has a 4X4 option, should have a better ground clearance! As it stands now, IMHO, the HD is ridiculously low!

DURAMAXHD2001
11-20-2001, 08:46
SORRY THAT YOU TOO ARE A NONE BELIVER 4X4TEX I WILL GET A DIGITAL CAMERA AND FORWARD SOME PICS SOON. IT DOES TAKE A BUMPER MOD. AND THERE IS NO EXTRA CLEARECE TO BE BANGING THE TRUCK AROUND WILL TURNING. I CAN GET FULL LOCK TO LOCK STEERING WITHOUT CONTACT. IT JUST PALIN LOOKS GOOD. WOULD LIKE MORE CLEARENCE BUT DO NOT WANT THE ADDED TOWING HEIGHT ON THE GOOSENECK. IT SPENDS MOST OF ITS TIME ON THE ROAD.A ND A BIT IN THE FEILDS HUNTING AND FISHING.

------------------
DURABLEMAXXIMUS THATS THE NEW BREED UNTOUCHABLE 01 HD2500 DURA/ALI RED EXT. CAB SHORTY. SHELL BIG TIRES AND PRETTY CHROME

Turbo Al
11-20-2001, 17:41
Well glad to see everyone is agreeing to disagree with courtesy. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
I am with Stretch -- because I did buy an ARGO (6 wheeler) several years ago. I just plain got tired of boonie bashing in the 1993 going into my hunting areas on what is suppose to be a road.
Now don't get me wrong, I have had a minimum of trouble (offroad) with the 2001 but I didn't buy it for serious boonie bashing -- just to get me close then Argo the rest.
Turbo AL

Lone Eagle
11-21-2001, 16:56
Hoot, I have never high centered with any of my trucks. I have learned the limitations and how to drive them. This new HD will take me anywhere my friends go with their F**ds or D***es and with a lot better ride. Later! Lone Eagle

sonofagun
11-21-2001, 22:42
GrayMax,

Sorry it isn't working out for you. I don't recall seeing your other posts that listed what else you don't like about the truck. If I wanted unusual road clearance I would add a lift kit. The rest of the truck can't be beat by anything on the road. I haven't had any off road problems and have done some muddy stuff. Mostly I tow with mine, go camping, fishing and hunting. My thoughts, anyhoo.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001973.html

Good luck with your ultimate decision.

Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A olympic white, Manik
SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. XM Radio.
ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft.
43 gal across the bed aux. tank.

1966 Chevelle convetible 396 4SPD (restored)
_ _ _ _ _ _

Working on EGT/Boost guage, 4" exhaust.

GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!

[This message has been edited by son of a gun (edited 11-21-2001).]

WayCoolKennel
12-05-2002, 14:26
Sorry boys and girls but Grey is right.

I took my F*rd PSD to ALL the same places I take my Chevy while hunting lions and bears... I NEVER high centered or drug anything short of my trailer reciever in my F*rd..

This HD had been drug, hung and trashed the underside.. cause its TOO FREAKIN LOW.

I usually have 5 dogs and dog box with me when I'm hunting.. so I can't go put a six wheeler in the back.. AND I have to drive 100 miles or more just to get to the mountains to start hunting... so I'm not gonna buy another truck just to hunt with...

There's no reason why this truck should be THAT much lower that the other mfgs.. IMO. Now I'm out looking for tires, lifts etc.. its either that or go back to a F*rd...

If your happy with the ground clearance... good for you.. I think it's TERRIBLE. If I wanted a all-wheel drive car I'd a bought one... When I bought this truck I immediately thought wow.. its too low.. but then everyone here said .. oh no its not any lower that the other mfgs.. well FOOEY on that... I'm hear to tell you its TOO LOW.

</griping>

Now.. anyone know how big of tires I can get on the stock rims and still fit under the wheel wells ??

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: WayCoolKennel ]</p>

NFLDMAX
12-05-2002, 14:34
I have 285's on my stock rims with the torsion bars cranked. No problems here. I agree, with the stock stance and tires, that frame is LOW

WayCoolKennel
12-05-2002, 15:22
Thanks NFLD,

Just the info I needed ;) btw.. I love this truck.. except for dragging on every rock and ditch I cross ...

You don't have a picture of your truck do you ??

Did you crank the torsion bars enough to require an alignment ?? I would think so...

Thanks for the help...

NFLDMAX
12-05-2002, 16:08
I will look for a picture. I got it aligned as a precaution.

Here is a link to the picture. If it doesn't work, email me at pellb@evarnum.com and I will email it to you.

Brent

http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/LiveLine/PhotoImages/DURAMAX.JPG

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: NFLDMAX ]</p>

TxDoc
12-05-2002, 21:23
Put this in the back of your truck and use it for off-road excursions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873891903

Tsckey
12-05-2002, 22:11
No question, you can't please everybody. I bought mine BECAUSE it was low. I wanted the 4x4 for snow, loose dirt on steep roads, and slippery boat ramps. But, I didn't want the lofty butt-cheek height of the Fords and Dodges. I'm happy as pig in poop. It is a shame, though, that others have been dissappointed in their purchases.

TC

3176CATPOWER
12-06-2002, 09:39
My 2001 2500 regular duty with 245 rubber and locker had more ground clearance than my 2500HD.The box and cab height was lower also.I could lay on my creeper in the shop and go any where under the truck except under the pumpkin which also had a bit more clearance,cannot do that under the 2500 HD.GM had to make a lot of compromises to accommodate the Allison tranny.If the box height were any higher the truck would be useless for fifth wheelers in my opinion,unless you went to a custom box or platform.I work on construction sites and could use a bit more clearance at times but do not see any clear satisfy everybody solution.It is a shame that GM did not set the D/A combo up to allow for taller tires in situations where they could benefit various owners.

OC_DMAX
12-06-2002, 10:42
3176CATpower - I thought it was my imagination that it was easier to get under my 2000 Chev 2500 regular duty truck!! The first time I went under my 2002 Chev 2500HD I thought I must have gained weight. It sure seemed like a tighter fit. The regular duty 2500 had been sold three months prior so nothing to compare against. Also, agree with the '245 tire comment. The truck could sure benefit from larger tires.

Jelisfc
12-06-2002, 15:00
For those who need more just upgrade to the GM's new hunting rig. http://www.gmmilitary.com/CEMMV%204x4.htm Must be the Cabela's series smile.gif

Ranger354
12-08-2002, 22:59
The damn thing sits low, but we all knew that before we bought it.

What did you think, GM was going to put a lift kit on it before delivery?????????

I love my truck, but I didn't spend $35,000 to run her in the brush. I have a little green bulldozer for that. Buy a jeep they are cheep. Surprisingly enough I have used the 4wheel drive on my truck more since October then I have my jeep.

James S
12-17-2002, 16:00
Hey Folks,

Just to let you all know, acording to AutoSite.com, the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra have a ground clearance of 10.6 inches, the Ford Superduties have a clearance of 7.3 inches, and the Dodges have a ground clearance of 8.5 inches. Is this just with the standard engine?? What is the ground clearance with the Duramax engine? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, by the way, I changed my order. I am getting the same truck as befor, but in an extended cab, not a crew cab.

James

hdmax(mike)
12-17-2002, 17:01
James;
Those numbers are wrong. (unless the only measurement was takin at the center of the front differential.
The rear pumpkin on the HD with 245/75/16 tires is only about 7"

But what most complain about is the frame rails or cross brace. The Ford frame is about 14" while the HD is about 10.5-11" Mine measured right at 10 7/8" without any torsion bar adjustments or tire change.

I am with Ranger! Anyone that pays 40,000 dollers for a truck and didn`t do their homework first is at fault for their misery.
Maybe they will know better next time :eek: But then only time will tell :D

NWDmax
12-17-2002, 18:23
The guys we bought our Lance camper from love the 2500HD and 3500HD truck platform.The lower center of gravity is a huge plus when you're putting alot of weight up top.I know mine is a hoot(no pun intended) to drive with or without the camper on.

It all depends on your perspective and how you use the rig.I agree that you should consider how the truck is used before buying.
There is not one truck that does it all the best.
It's just that the Duramax does almost everything better than the competition.Very few chinks in the armor. Blake

TSimpler
12-17-2002, 18:50
Are you guy's all a bunch of wimp's??? :D

My DMAX has been covered in mud for the last 2 months. I live up 4 miles of dirt/mud/snow road and it has been wet or frozen for 2 months. I am running a stock set up with out too much trouble.

Then only b!t@h I have is the stock AT tires. I will upgrade to Yoko M/T's as soon as I can get my truck clean enough. (no shop will take the truck covered with that much mud and no carwash will let me run my truck through their machine)

sucks being me I guess LMAO

Trent ;)

Ranger354
12-17-2002, 21:34
T,

Not a whimp, just no need to abuse my machine. That is why I own a jeep. It makes its own roads. If something on it breaks I just weld it back. From time to time I need to move around my place without cutting up the roads so I put "Big Maroon" in 4H and let her walk.

The standard tires do suck, I priced some of the Yokohama Geolanders today. $630 mounted and balanced. $750 for the Nitto Graplers. All in 285 size. Both tires look great up next to the truck.

Also hard for me to justify putting new tires on a truck that only has 14,000 miles on the existing factory tires.

Guess that makes me a tightwad! I like to think I am practical!

GMCTRUCK
12-20-2002, 14:50
The bottom of my plastic, painted, fake, bumper is already scratched up from pulling into driveway entrances that have been plowed in by the snow plows plowing the roads. The whole point of buying a $40k HD truck is you should be able to use it as a truck without worrying about using it as a truck. Nothing would make me happier than to punch the engineers responsible, but I am the idiot that bought it. Should have bought F350.

2K2AD
12-20-2002, 15:14
GMCTRUCK,

Quote: "Should have bought F350"

It is never too late...

dave p
12-20-2002, 18:20
you can not have it all. check the rollover ratings for all the new pickups and you will be glad you bought G.M. dodge and ford have a rating of 2 chevrolet has a rating of 4, 5 being the highest and best possible. dave p :cool: :cool:

redneckcowdoctor
12-21-2002, 05:19
Gound clearance is like a piece of rope or your arm when up a cows rear end (don't ask); always an inch too short.

I don't understand anyone buying one of these trucks and then complaining about the ground clearance. It's like complaining about your truck's color. You knew what you were going to use it for. You bought it. You paid $40k for it. Didn't you check it out before plunking down your hard earned money? The frame rails are too obvious to miss.

I agree they sit pretty low. I'm 6' and 160 pounds (ie "lean") and even I've got trouble squirming my way underneath. I've wanted to try a diesel for some time but the Dodge sits so high I couldn't possibly work out of my bed unit in one without 6" elevator shoes. I bought the Duramax specifically because it sits the lowest of the three diesels. I have scraped bottom a few times but never left any pieces behind. It sure rides nicer off road than the others too. Jeff

IndigoDually
12-22-2002, 08:15
At least when the truck gets buried in the mud it stops sinking sooner since the rails are lower. The taller the truck the deeper you can sink. Diesel motors as a whole are really heavy and a liability in the soft stuff. I have seen the big tall Dodges sunk to the rails in a field and it takes a lot more digging and pulling to get them out.

John

FirstDiesel
12-22-2002, 08:48
I for one like my truck just the way it is. Any higher and I'd need a ladder to get into the bed. As it is I usually step onto the hitch as a step to get into it. I bought it to tow and it does the job for me. Did I expect that it would never need any mods to make it exactly like I want it?? NO!! I realized I'd need to change the hitch and the shocks and maybe the tires etc.

You guys that bought this truck and think you bought a perfect off road vehicle need to take a reality pill. The truck is built for average useage. Any vehicle is. I have sportscars that I race. I don't complain that they put the wrong suspension and exhaust in it for my racing.

Modify the truck the way YOU want it and get over it or sell the thing and buy something you think is better.

slapshot44
12-22-2002, 12:32
???
My front bumper is steel... Now the air dam below it is plastic, as it is on any other vehicle that has one. And like every other vehicle that has an air dam, it is occasionally going to scrape on driveway entrances and other tall objects that you are going to drive over.

Besides, if you're going to use it like a truck, you should'nt be worried about some scrapes and scratches. Every truck I've ever owned invariably get some dents and scrapes.

INDI-GO
12-22-2002, 22:42
I recently traded a 90 Mustang for a show room condition 2000 Polaris 4x4. Then got the 4x4 5spd Tracker set up with some BFG 235/75 AT KO's

Polaris in the bed of the 4x4 Dmax, Tracker on the tow bar and a huntin we went.

Got a lot of Thumbs up's going down the hwy.

Dmax gets me into the place, Tracker gets me where the Dmax won't go, Polaris gets me where the Tracker won't.

Whats the Problem???? :D :D

[ 12-22-2002: Message edited by: INDI-GO ]</p>

afp
12-27-2002, 09:46
Guys,

This is an easy fix. I bought a leveling kit from http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/ for $149. Basically, the send you two new torsion bar adjusters. I also had to buy an 8" gear puller from Sears for $30. It took me about 2 hours and I raised the nose of my truck 2." I took it to an alignment shop the next day to be realigned.

I took it hunting after I raised the nose, and it made a huge difference--I didn't stuff the skid plates full of mud and grass. The ride is the same. In theory, it should be slightly stiffer because now more weight is on the rear wheels, but I don't notice any difference. It rides and handles the same as before. The stock shocks are fine and everything else is fine as well. This kit puts no additional load on the torstion bars, it just resets them.

The truck still sits an inch higher in the rear than the front, but that is much better than the 3" higher in the rear GM decided was okay.

Blaine

More Power
12-27-2002, 12:03
Did anyone read Four Wheeler's truck of the year article, in the most recent issue?

They compared the off-road capability of a new '03 PSD to a new GMC (and others). The GMC didn't lose any parts on the trail due to ground clearance. Guess which one did.

MP

hoot
12-27-2002, 12:07
And they didn't like the way the Ford handled or steered.

I think the difference would be which one could keep going after continuous abuse. It's one thing to test brand new vehicles but to show durability over time they cannot do.