PDA

View Full Version : Allison Warranty

Ranger354
07-31-2002, 14:47
Just got back from the dealer today and he informed me that if I put larger tires 285's o my 2002 crew with the allison it would void my warranty. They won't recalibrate or anything. Anybody else had this problem?

The truck was in the shop after 2500 miles because I twisted off a stud while changing a tire.

Colorado Kid
07-31-2002, 16:43
Find another dealer.

What he said is only true to the extent that they can prove the the tires caused the specific problem for which they are denying coverage, but you don't want to go throught the hassel. Here in Colorado some Jeep dealers will harrass you for bigger tires, and claim that they somehow contributed to your broken turn signal switch, while others will replace under warranty a transfer case that failed due to low fluid levels (from the factory) even though it was in a Jeep with 11" total lift and 37" tires (with only about 500 miles left in warranty to boot!).

Same with GM dealers, some are helpful and some will try to find any reason to avoid warranty work. Go find one that is helpful.

Bill McGouirk
07-31-2002, 20:46
Ranger354,

I was told the same thing at my local dealer. I went to a custom tire shop a got a set of BFG 285's. @#$# the dealer just ask the tire shop if they have any extra wheels laying around that would fit your truck and have the old 245's put on. Keep them, and if you should have a warranty problem change the tires before you take it in. As far as recalibrating why, longer warranty.

P.S You will love the 285's they look great just have to turn the T-Bars 4 times.

Good luck Bill

odoh
07-31-2002, 21:48
The dealer I purchased from had a typed statement that aftermarket tires could result in proration of the warranty. ~ odoh

BadDog
07-31-2002, 22:05
I put 285/75R16s on my new 4x4 Crew with no cranking. Only had to use a heat gut to mod the inner fender liner on the driver's front a bit. I didn't want to crank the front, but I'm thinking of lowering the back 1" with "velvet rides".

Anyway, to the point. I the service manager at the dealer I bought my truck from said the tires would not affect the warranty in any way. They also recalibrated for 265/75R16s which they claimed was the biggest tire they could enter into the computer settings. According to the SM and the tech who did the recalibration, this lack of accuracy would not noticeably affect the Allison's performance. Now, what he said up front when I had the tires put on my brand new truck, and what will happen when/if I need warranty work done may be two different things. We shall see.

Kennedy
07-31-2002, 22:14
Just to clarify: Any "supposed" recalibration for tire size on the D/A is done for the ABS system ONLY. It in no way affects the speedo/odo or transmission shifting as I am told...

BadDog
07-31-2002, 22:24
Hmmm, I guess I am misinformed then. The SM specifically told me that the calibration for 265s would "get the speedo/odo close, but it would still be a little slow". He also talked about it affecting the shift points (and down shifts) in the Allison. Me, I don't have a clue. I've only owned this rig (or a diesel of any kind for that matter) for just about 2 weeks or so. ;)

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: BadDog ]</p>

Iowan
07-31-2002, 23:44
2001 HD DMAX/Allison Ext Cab - transmission developed leak (spot on driveway) - took truck to dealer (Waterloo, IA) and after 8 hr (19Jul) dealer said he couldn't work on it - called customer care and they had the truck transported to another dealer (Waverly, IA) - dealer said (tues am) they could make repairs (not!) and after several calls to GM or Allison decided to order transmission late Wed (21Jul) - transmission located and shipped out of Michigan Thurs am - arrived Iowa late Monday without necessary converter bolts - unloaded Tues and waiting on bolts til late in the day - transmission installed on Wed - calibrated - road tested and delivered late in the day. This truck has been a real pain in the ass - down on injection pump at 14K (while I was in Florida) - down on the transmission at 24K (fortunately I was home) - GM offered to extend trans warranty to 5/60K - no satisfaction on injection pump - think I'm about ready to switch brands... still ****ed - after being down for 10 days they didn't even wash the truck before delivering it - anyone wants the name of the dealers or other info about this I'd be happy to fill you in on some of the finer details

thanks -- Greg

Ranger354
08-01-2002, 05:00
This was the local dealer. I didn't buy this truck here because the sales people tryed to screw me on the one I ordered. So I purchased this truck (not the one I ordered) 60 miles away for $2200 cheeper.

I plan on keeping my 245's and the shop that I purchase my new tires will swap them back for free. Just odd that GM is so wishy washy. I think these big companies need to grow a spine. GM offers about 20 different types of cars, but you are limited what type of turck you can buy.