PDA

View Full Version : front suspension question???????????

buelldude
03-19-2003, 18:47
This has been covered before but not like this. I need to know how to put the torsion bars back down and start over. What is the factory ride hight? I put on new tires and want to unload the bars. I had a shop tell me to put a few turns on the bars to pick up the front so the tires wouldn't hit. They did it and now I know they didn't do it right. I took a tape to it and found one side was 3/4" higher than the other. My truck is 2wd also. I think they put to many turns on and just didn't give a dam. :mad: :eek:

GMCTRUCK
03-19-2003, 21:37
The best way to get an accurate measurement would be on a frame machine at a body shop. Otherwise look for the most level piece of real estate you can find to park your truck on. Jack the front of your truck up to unload the front suspension. You can then count threads showing on the cam adjustment bolts and get them even and fine tune from that point to get the height you want and level the truck side to side. I've also seen people screw the bolts all the way up to full crank then back them out equal turns till the desired height is reached. Whatever works I guess.

Lone Eagle
03-19-2003, 21:53
buelldude, I don't know what the heigth should be on your two wheel drive but I have a couple suggestions. I measure my heigth from the bottom side of the fender at a centerline down through the hub cover to the ground. I have crawled under the truck and measured in other places but the fender to the ground works for me. First thing to do is make sure all tires are at the correct pressure. Drive down to your local GM dealer and measure a couple trucks. I don't think you need to back the bars all the way off. Jack the truck up by the frame between the lower "A" arms a few inches. This just takes the load off a little to make it easier to turn the adjusting bolts. Mark the bolts so you can count revolutions. This is a trial and error process. I would try two turns on which ever bolt you want. Let it back down and drive around the block a couple times hitting all the bumps. Measure again and adjust as needed. I would not raise alot from stock heigth. ( 2" ) If you go up or down a lot you could screw up the camber/toe settings. Good luck. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

buelldude
03-20-2003, 05:58
I did some more adjusting and I have it within a 1/4"(.25"). It goes down the road good, I let go of the wheel and it went straight. I did my measurements from the middle of the wheel well. I found out that the bolts don't end up being in the same spot as far as the threads. The one thing I didn't do and I don't know if it will work is put a level on the hood of the truck to see if it that works???? I called a 4x4 shop and they said to come by and they will check it. I will post on my ending fix and where the bolts are. Is there anyone who hasn't messed with their truck that could give a good measurement, from the ground up to the middle of the well????

AlanL
03-20-2003, 07:48
Will changing your ride height effect you alignment settings? I would think that it would...

Even if the truck goes down the road straight, you may have too much or too little toe which will effect tire wear, turn in response, etc...

-Al

IndigoDually
03-20-2003, 10:31
If You are looking for a place for a level, try the top of a battery. I would think that the factory would try to keep them as level as possible.

John

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

buelldude
03-20-2003, 14:22
good thinking IndigoDually, I would have never came up with that one. I was going to try the bumper but I don't think its level. I think I will just go and get the front end done and let them tell me whats up. I could be at it for ever, thanks for the help.

chipper
03-20-2003, 15:40
buelldude,
For factory figures go here;
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_to
OR go to search & type "Z height measurement" posted 11-23-01

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: chipper ]</p>

Paintdude
03-20-2003, 19:27
If you block the frame at 4 equal points (all 4 corners)on level floor..You can adjust the equal settings as the truck lifts off of each block in the front as you tighten the torsion bolts..This might be difficult with such a heavy truck and such a small bolt..

Fenders are aligned to the body parts not the frame and the bumper is also,even though it is bolted to the frame..

The height will affect the alignment of the front wheels..Both toe and camber.