PDA

View Full Version : which downpipe is best?

StephenA
10-02-2003, 22:06
When I bought my truck, the original owner had already outfitted it with an ATS exhaust system. He stated that it also had a modified wastgate actuator, which ATS said is their bracket mod. I don't see any vacuum or electrical lines going to it...
I found out my down pipe is an ATS 3" pipe, while the crossover pipe is stock, as it is definitely not mandrel bent, but has ridges on the bends, etc. Can anything be gained from replacing the crossover pipe with an upgrade, or is this pipe "tuned to the turbo" as ATS says?
Thanks,

[ 10-03-2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: StephenA ]

Johnny B.
10-02-2003, 22:59
I don't know which one is best, but Diesel Depot keeps listing one or two at a time for a buy now price of $68-$69 and $15 shipping, not a bad deal. Been thinking about getting one.

StephenA
10-03-2003, 05:16
Thanks Johnny- that's about half as much as they usually go for, ain't it?

slagona
10-03-2003, 05:21
Flowmaster sells an exhaust kit for the 6.5TD that includes the 3" mandrel bent downpipe and a mandrel bent crossover pipe. Kit number is FLO-17220. Summit racing has them for $96.39 plus about $8 shipping. One of these days I actually install mine.........

StephenA
10-03-2003, 05:46
Cool! Thanks for part numbers & prices. Now, I wonder which system adds the most for the buck. My stock crossover part is just one long U from manifold to bottom of turbo... But after talking with ATS, it looks like the ATS system the original owner installed does have a 3" down pipe, minus the cat (yay)... and ATS said the stock crossover doesn't get upgraded cause it's tuned to the turbo. But Flowmaster provides a 3" crossover upgrade? Does this give more power or reduce temps?
I saw one post (I can't remember where) featuring a ceramic down pipe... If I read right, I guess the advantage would be lower exhaust temps? Anyone?

[ 10-03-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: StephenA ]

Johnny B.
10-03-2003, 06:23
I was reading somewhere that a person indicated that he upgraded to the banks system. He also indicated that he believed that he did not gain much from the exhaust system "non OEM." He indicated that the largest gain was an aftermarket down pipe since the OEM pipe is smashed and so restrictive.

whatnot
10-03-2003, 07:05
Just so you know, the diesel depot listing them on ebay is not Avant, they are in Idaho. Avant/diesel Depot is in Georgia.

StephenA
10-03-2003, 07:58
Thanks Phillip. I emailed the wrong one & then found the one on ebay. The Avant guys are the ones that do all the wonderful rebuilds, right. Good contact to have.
Is there any advantage to upgrading the crossover pipe?

[ 10-03-2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: StephenA ]