PDA

View Full Version : Water is getting in here.

SHOPMAN426
07-06-2005, 20:56
Was on a camping outing over the 4th. A friend pulled the front passenger mat out to dump out the leaves and twigs. As he was shaking off the mat he noticed that the underside was covered with water.(I have the catch-all floor mats, they have a rubber bottom.) Turns out the whole front passenger pan is soaked. After returning home yesterday I pulled the door sill and kick panel. The pad was as wet as a sponge. :eek: No signs of water on the higher levels just right on the pad on the lowest point. Didn't see any evidence of water comming in from the door, but at this point I will have to remove the front seat and maybe the console. I just washed it last Thursday night, the day before we went camping. It looks as if it must have come in under the windshield and dash. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Shopman,
Mike. :confused: :confused:

Kennedy
07-07-2005, 04:47
Is the AC drain plugged?

SHOPMAN426
07-07-2005, 05:25
I don't think so by the amount of water that is on my shop floor when I back out. But this weekend I will pull the black pastic cover thats under the dash.

Thanks Kennedy for the suggestion.

Shopman426,
Mike. smile.gif smile.gif

mcmonroe
07-07-2005, 15:05
Have you had any rain recently? My truck did the exact same thing. It ended up being a leak around the top right most portion (passenger side) of the windshield.

The water ran down inside the pillar, behind the dash and then finally down to the floor.

The truck was fine for 9 months and the all of a sudden started leaking. Luckily I had a co-worker join me for lunch one day and they noticed it.

Mark

javadog
07-09-2005, 05:20
John-
Where is the AC drain on a 1997 suburban? I have the same leaking problem on the front passenger side and the bottom of the rear panel doors. I thought about replacing all the seals but that could get
expensive and might not be necessary if I could repair the problem areas.

SHOPMAN426
07-09-2005, 19:25
Spent some time removing the center console between the front seats, that way I could pull the carpet back to the front of the seats. Remove the black plastic cover that hides the heater/AC unit. After looking under as far as I can, I only see the pad is wet at the lowest point. I felt up under the front rubber like pad that has the light green foam and it seems to be dry except for where it comes in contact with the floor pan. Will have to try the garden hose on the roof tomorrow and see if any water makes it's way in.
Has anybody ever removed the front seat mounting bracket? I couldn't beak the nuts from under the truck for the back of the bracket, plus I can only see three of them. One must be hidden under the heat shield.

Shopman426,
Mike. :eek: :eek: :eek:

jjackson
07-12-2005, 16:23
Shopman426, if you happen to have clearance lights on your roof, I seem to recall some discussion about some folks experiencing leaking around them..?

John

SHOPMAN426
07-13-2005, 06:57
I wish that was the case, I talked to the service reps yesterday while I was picking up a few Allison spin on filters. They talked about pinch welds at the top of the windshield and possibly one at the bottom. I have the carpet pulled up on the passenger side trying to get the pad to dry out. I will test with the garden hose next time I get some time to fidle with it.

Thanks, SHOPMAN426.
Mike.

Quack_Addict
07-13-2005, 07:18
Maybe a cowl leak?

SHOPMAN426
07-16-2005, 10:48
Some times you are your worst enemy, I guess I need to fire myself for doing shoddy work. I'm the cause of the water leak! I had sometime to spend hunting the cause of my leak. I'm surprised that I didn't have this problem about a year ago. That would be when I installed my TTT mirrors on my truck. It turns out that when I was feeding the wires through the boot between the door and body I pulled the boot off the plastic lip. For some reason or another I didn't repeat this on the drivers side, dumb luck. There is a pocket that has to fill up with water first before the water makes it's way to the floor pan. I think I will add a little silicone to the top half for extra insurance.

Maybe I should change my handle to "Amateur Shopman".

Thanks for all the suggestions,
SHOPMAN426,

Mike. redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif

[ 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: SHOPMAN426 ]

Jim Brzozowski
07-18-2005, 08:41
SHOPMAN426, a lesson learned is a lesson learned. The only ones who never make a mistake are the ones who never do anything. Keep on truckin.