PDA

View Full Version : another tire question

racerfan#3
08-03-2002, 21:57
I know alot of people have said that 285/75/16 tires will fit with a little trimming, my question is will 305/70/16 fit.

the 285 is 33"x11"
the 305 is 33"x12.5"

has anyone put the 305 on and what problems did you have, i know its 1.5" more but cant i just have less backspace on the rim i get to correct that? Thanks in advance for the help.

Piney
08-03-2002, 22:35
racerfan#3,

I just put 285 BFGs on mine last week. Was afraid that I was gonna have to trim, turn up the T-bars, etc....but they didn't rub anywhere. I have about 1/4" to 1/2" clearance between the tire and air dam when I turn the wheels. I'm sure the 305s will fit with some minor trimming.

JustWondering
08-04-2002, 18:52
Piney,
I been meaning to install larger tires on my truck but I don't want the tires to protrude from the bodywork. Are you using your original factory or aftermarket wheels? Are your tires protruding any from the fenders?

SoMnDMAX
08-04-2002, 20:20
285's fit really well. They rub slightly at full lock of the steering. As I've said in other forums, and here, I'll believe 305's fit on a stock truck when I see it with my own eyes.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put the 305's on the stock wheels. It's not a safe situation.

JustWondering, my 285's are on Centerline 16x8's with 4 5/8" backspacing. The corner of the tread is even to slightly inside the edge of the fender flare.

Piney
08-04-2002, 21:28
JustWondering,

Mine are mounted on the stock wheels. They don't protrude past the fender flares, but if you look at the truck from the front, the tires stick out past the side of the front bumper somewhat...I agree with what SoMnDMAX said about not attempting to mount the 305s on stock wheels...6.5" is just too skinny for those monster 305s.

BadDog
08-04-2002, 21:42
I put 285/75R16s on my new 2500HD the day I got it. They fit fine everywhere but the driver's front where the outer edge of the tread will rub the inner liner in 2 places when the wheels were turned right (especially when backing). One is the funky little ridge just inside the fender opening. It rubbed pretty good on the bottom edge. Also, the arc along the lower edge of the inner half of the liner would rub. All I did was turn the wheels to the right and shove a piece of 2x4 between the tire and the liner, then heat the liner with a heat gun on low till the plastic got fairly soft. Let it cool and no more rubbing.

As for 305s, that extra width will make the edge stick out that much further when turned so, I would expect the interference to be proportionally worse. IIRC, the guy that put my tires on said that he had put 305s (or some size a bit larger than what I got anyway) on a 2500HD. I believe he said that the bars were cranked about 1" and the inner liners had to be cut quite a bit.

JustWondering
08-04-2002, 22:08
AAAAH...You fellers really made my day. Monday morning I'll be the first one in line at my local tire store. I'm dumping my mini-donuts for the 285's.
SoMnDMAX, the pictures of your DMax with the 285's look Greeeat!...That helped made my mind up, thanks.
Piney, Thanks for the info. As much as I liked SoMnDMAX set up (with the Centerline Wheels) I'm gonna hafta go your way...285's on stock wheels for now...I'm short a few.
Thanks again!

JimWilson
08-05-2002, 07:33
My 285's (on factory rims) fit fine, and don't rub. The 305's will fit, but you'll definitely need different rims, ones with less back spacing. And doing that will most likely have them stick out a bit more then 285's will.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

Tommy turbo
08-05-2002, 18:14
I tried to have a flat fixed today and there was a hole in the sidewall that local tire dealer did not want to fix. purchased new BFG A/T 285-75-16s with his advice. Looks great doesn't rub. My speedo looks to be about 8 miles off. does not corner quite as well. Have been worrying about the load range. These have a load limit of 3505 #s each which is more than the load limits from old tires (3000), but am thinking of the tire pressure 65#s verses the 80#s of the old ones. Wonder if you can feel the differance pulling my trailer. Or any other problems. Any Advice? Manager said if I am not totally satisfied he will trade them in for any other tires I want.

JimWilson
08-06-2002, 05:52
The max load of any tire is rated at max inflation, so even though you're comparing different size tires (and different load ranges) the weight-bearing capability is a direct comparison. In other words, max the inflation on your tires (the 245's or the 285's) and that's when you can carry max load. So, your new tires can safely carry more weight then your old tires, even though the inflation needed to do it is less.