PDA

View Full Version : towing with chains

ochster
11-25-2003, 17:32
I'm mostly interested in the knowledge and experience of others, with my situation.

I will be pulling a 13-14,000lb. trailer over the Sisques in January. This can be avoided buy driving 6-7 hours out of my way. My rig is a 4X2, with 19.5 wheels. I have been told by chaining up the truck and one axle on the trailer, slow and steady should be fine. I have also been told "your crazy" drive around if there is more than a hint of snow.

I would also be interested in some chain recomen dations, as well as any tips or heads up.

Thank you

DonG
11-25-2003, 20:51
ochster,

I live North of you and have pulled a 14,000 lbs. 5th wheel through the Sisques without any difficulty in January. I had truck cable chains with me but did not need them. The secret is waiting for the weather to be nice and clear for a day or so and then take off. This requires some flexibility in your schedule, but generally I-5 is in good condition unless a current storm is actively blowing.

Don

Jelisfc
11-25-2003, 20:56
I don't know the area but having pulled doubles after the 1991 Halloween blizzard in the midwest the worst feeling is going down hill on glare ice with the doubles going everyway but straight and that's with the company truck. There's chaining up because it's a 4x2 and you want to be proactive as the snow starts falling and there's chaining up cause I just past a 4x4 that was stuck. I'd recommend being prepared in case you get caught and check the weather before you commit. I usually go out to have fun during bad weather but risking a 40K truck plus the trailer and load's value is a unneccessary risk. Good luck and hope the sun is shining.

Rockin
11-26-2003, 08:58
Just remember, all chains do is get you moving. 4X4 does the same thing. Chains are generally best used in deep snow. Studs and snow tires will do you more on ice and snow floor which is what you will see when there is not an active storm.

You have 4 wheel brakes just like 4X4's so for stopping, you have the same ability. Tires make a bigger diffence there.