PDA

View Full Version : Arrgghhh! Smashed Dooley Fender!!!!

dschultz
01-04-2003, 16:23
Through my own fault...I smashed a fender on my 2002 Dooley. Can anybody recommend a place to buy a new fender that it painted the correct color (Lt. Pewter)? Also, Is the fender very difficult to replace? It is a bolt on section? Right?

Anybody want to speculate on the costs to replace by myself or have the dealer/body shop do it?

Thanks
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

FirstDiesel
01-04-2003, 16:49
How bad is it smashed??? Those fenders are plastic and can be fixed. Mine had a crack in it when I took delivery and I was convinced that they would fix it and I would fight with them for a new fender. Trust me you can't see the repair. They bond a putty into the fender and it becomes part of the fender unlike Bondo on a metal fender where it just sits on the metal.

Get a good body shop to look at it for you first.

GMC-2002-Dmax
01-04-2003, 17:20
Ask JeBar,

I know he knows what's up!!!!

OUCH!!!!!!!! :(

Good Luck,

GMC ;)

Paintdude
01-04-2003, 20:30
I dont know what a fender cost with out looking it up in the crash book but, pewter in DBC-PPG matches pretty well on these trucks..Removal and reinstall is pretty much straight forward if you have some mechanical skills..

I would guess the fender is around 400 bucks, just a guess..

dschultz
01-04-2003, 21:00
Thanks Paintdude,

I don't know if I can find a fender in a junk yard. but was thinking about replacing it myself.

Do you know how to remove the black bed rail covers?

I don't think the fender can be repaired with any luck. The section between the taillight and the red side marker has about six cracks that all run together.

I get the feeling that if the weather was warmer the cracking may not have been as bad.

Dave

Paintdude
01-04-2003, 21:18
You might go and ask a independent shop if they could repair it...They might be able to repair it and paint it for what a fender would cost ya..

When a guy is paying out of his own pocket, most any fiberglass work can be repaired..Just go and ask, asking is free... smile.gif

chevmeister
01-04-2003, 22:49
For the black rail its supposed to be a few clips up front and just doubble sided taped on.

FirstDiesel
01-05-2003, 08:58
My thought too. Why jump to the fact that you need to replace the fender until you ask a shop how much to fix it. Like I said before these plastic fenders seem to fix well and easy. They only kept my truck 2 days to fix the crack in mine. That included removing the fender, the repair and repainting it.

JEBar
01-05-2003, 16:50
GMC-2002-Dmax ... Ouch is right!!! :eek: ... custom crunched passanger side rear quarter less than two months after purchasing truck ... had a local body shop order the part, they painted it and when I took my truck to the shop, was able to pick it up four hours later ... replacement pewter 1/4 is a one piece unit which they apparently just had to bolt on .... did an excellent job ... Jim

Maverick
01-06-2003, 00:10
Cousineau Auto in Schofield, WI has my box that I pulled off my dually when I put the flatbed on. Sold it to them in April 01 for $1000 bucks. It is a complete white dually box. Brand spank'in new.

c5dura
01-06-2003, 12:28
The "list" price is $640 for the 1/4 on the passenger side. Driver side is $730 (extra price due to fuel cap).

I had my passenger side 1/4 repaired and repainted. The total cost was around $1,300. Lt. Pewter as well as the color matched perfectly.

I'm about to have the driver side one completely replaced because I slid down a muddy hill into a tree that kracked a whole piece off. That side will run $1,400 for the complete repair (they are going to replace the whole unit).

c5dura
01-06-2003, 12:31
Dschultz, I see that you're in Virginia as well. If you're in the central va area I'd be happy to have to you check out the repairs on my truck to see how well the paint matches, etc and point you to the body shop I used.

C5dura

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>

dschultz
01-06-2003, 17:42
Update:

I took the truck to the dealer and several body shops and they all said the fender was beyond repair because of the location and number of cracks.

I found a body shop that will repair the trunk for about $1300.

From what I see here it sounds about right.

I will let you know how it turns out.