PDA

View Full Version : and still another tire question

Tommy turbo
08-05-2002, 18:30
I tried to have a flat fixed today and there was a hole in the sidewall that local tire dealer did not want to fix. purchased new BFG A/T 285-75-16s with his advice. Looks great doesn't rub. My speedo looks to be about 8 miles off. does not corner quite as well. Have been worrying about the load range. These have a load limit of 3505 #s each which is more than the load limits from old tires (3000), but am thinking of the tire pressure 65#s verses the 80#s of the old ones. Wonder if you can feel the differance pulling my trailer. Or any other problems. Any Advice? Manager said if I am not totally satisfied he will trade them in for any other tires I want.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Tommy turbo ]</p>

Piney
08-05-2002, 22:57
Tommy,

How heavy is your trailer? The BFGs are rated at 3305 lbs. Did you have the Firestone Steeltex A/Ts? If so, the BFG is a much better tire and as long as you're not exceeding the Max weight rating, it shouldn't matter. 80 psi makes for a stiff ride.....the BFGs should ride much smoother, I know mine did. I could definately see a difference with heavy weight from the factory Firestones to the BFG. The BFG would bow out more on the sidewalls when you load 'em really heavy.

Tommy turbo
08-06-2002, 18:50
My Travel trailer is about 7500 #s empty with a 900# tongue weight,and I do add a lot of misc. I do use equalizing hitch. The tires do seem to ride smother. It also seems to downshift a little more. I have not pulled any weight yet. Just got tires yesterday.