PDA

View Full Version : Hi Beam indicator light !

turbowind
01-06-2003, 12:18
Hi Guys !
Just picked up my new 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab. The high beam light on the instrument panel is VERY bright, so as to be distracting. Do I have a problem on my truck or is this present in all the 2003's and if so , whats the fix ??? Love this truck !!!

jbplock
01-06-2003, 12:45
My 2003 is very bright too...

Bill Knieper
01-06-2003, 13:47
It is bright on mine also. However, I like it bright so it reminds me to dim when cars approch.

johnpugh
01-06-2003, 13:58
I notice the same thing too....

That indicator is so bright I almost have to squint to see the road.

Glad I use my sunglasses at night :rolleyes:

Really, there has got to be a way to tone it down a little....

turbowind
01-06-2003, 15:33
Hi Guys !
I guess I will contact GM and see what they say about it....I think it is bright enought to compromise my night vision. As detailed and refined as this truck is, I am surprised this one got by them...Did I forget to tell you ??? I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!! :D :cool:

bryantch
01-06-2003, 18:20
I too am annoyed with the high beam indicator. I have position my tilt wheel to block the d@#ned thing at night. It is as unsafe in my opinion as having the interior lights on at night while driving-very distracting.

Maybe it is bright enough that it will heat up and burn itself out soon!

Perhaps if enough of us get together and pick a date to complain about this one (or any of the nagging problems dmax owners are having)at the same time, gm will listen. The rest of the world uses Lobbies to get results...why not the diesel page members create their own!

Mike Fultz
01-07-2003, 16:17
Mine too, must have been engineered this way. I was thinking about putting a small square of window tint film over it. In any case we should let GM know. Does anyone know how to contact the Brand Manager?

Mike

txguppy
01-07-2003, 19:27
Hey guys try this. Go to a local window tinting shop and ask for a scrap of their lightest filtering film. Cut it into little squares the size of the light. Spray water from a bottle on the squares and squeege them on the clear instrument cover until you get the needed amount of filtering. Count the number of squares used. Remove these and cut the same number of new ones. These you'll need to separate the clear protective film from the tint. Wet both sides and the instrument cover and squeege them on like before.

It'll take a little practice separating the clear film from the tint, a box cutter blade works well.

Hope this helps,
txguppy

Diesel Freak
01-07-2003, 22:20
Does anybody know if you can simply remove the bulb from the indicator and replace with a dimmer one, or is it hardwired in as part of a whole circuit board on the gauges? I stuck a piece of electrical tape on the plastic cover blocking the whole thing, the blue halo of light shining on the rest of the instrument cluster lets me know when they are, not pretty but very functional :D

Russ Denman
01-09-2003, 17:27
Thanks TXGuppy,

The tow/haul light bothers me the most and your solution sounds the easiest and cheapest.

stutzismydog
01-09-2003, 18:24
Mine to :mad: :mad: :mad:

HDLD
01-09-2003, 22:49
Mine hasn't been a problem...

Till I read this thread!

Now it seems twice as bright...or maybe I've gotten twice as dull...

Thanks a lot!

letsgo
01-10-2003, 09:27
I've driven a number of vehicals with extreamly bright high beam indicators and wound up sticking dark plastic in front of the light.

But I'm not bothered by this indicator light.

good luck

4x4man
01-10-2003, 10:34
Another easy way to seperate the tint from the clear plastic protective piece is to use two pieces of scotch tape on the corners one on either side. Put half of 1 of the pieces of tape on the tint and the other half of the other piece of tape on the clear protective side. Then the rest of the tape gets stuck together with each other. When you pull the two pieces of tape apart, the tint will be attached to one piece of tape, the clear protective film to the other piece of tape. Works really well. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone...

Bob

jhanratt
01-10-2003, 16:27
The High beam indicator light on my 2003 was driving me nuts so this is what I did.

Carefully remove the plastic trim around the dash face and instrument cluster. It just clips on. Pull directly back to remove it. Then remove the 4? screws holding the instument cluster into the dash. Unplug the instrument cluster (1 big wiring harness plugs into the back). The cluster istself sits between two covers one on the front and one on the back. Gently uncilp and pry off the front cover (the clear cover you look through). The gauge needles and face are now exposed so be carefull. Now carefully pull back the upper left corner of the gauge face. (The black flexible plastic with gauge display printed on it). Underneath you will see the holes the light beams through. Cut two small squares of masking tape to cover the hole in the gauge cluster. Apply them in layers over the hole for the high beam indicator. Clip the gauge face back down. Clip the front cover on. Re-install it in the dashboard.

When I started this I expected to find replaceable bulbs and was going to install an orange bulb. As it turns out there are no bulbs. They appear to be some type of led? As for the two layers of tape I tried one first and found it was not enough. Two layers was just right. This is undetectable once re-installed. I do not know how sesnitive these parts are but I had no problems

Nels
01-11-2003, 00:22
I could have used one of those super bright indicators last night. I forgot to dim the high beams for an oncoming county patrol cruiser and I got pulled over. I work nights and was on my way home from work, but Mr. Mounty thought I had come from somewhere else. He wanted to know how much I had to drink. I told him he was 16 years too late. tongue.gif He gave me a warning for failure to dim. :rolleyes:

Stone cold sober since 1987 . . . .

turbowind
02-05-2003, 12:54
Hi Guys !
I talked to GM and there are no complaints registered about the bright high beam indicator??...those interested in GM providing a fix might want to call and register a complaint so we can can get some action !!

Les