PDA

View Full Version : "Slicks" in the mud...

conradv
03-26-2003, 10:32
Boy, those stock Firestones on my '03 GMC are pieces of $*#@ in the mud. Flat, very wet ground and a 2wd '78 Chevy pickup had no problem, my 4x4 was nearly stuck. (Moving furniture)

Can't wait to get money for some 255's.

NoMo
03-26-2003, 12:43
I hear ya...

Poor tires, 2WD and heavy diesel engine makes for some frequent calls for the extraction equipment at my place.

GMCTRUCK
03-26-2003, 13:19
I took the Firestones off at 500 miles and sold them for $300.

c5dura
03-26-2003, 14:40
Mine were replaced @900 miles with BFGs. Tire place gave me $60 for each of the 7 stockers. Not bad.

A few years ago I borrowed a friends '99 2500 4x4 and it had the "on-road" Firestones. Those are the worst tires ever in mud. I had to pull it up my dirt road with my tractor and it was like a 1% grade or something. I don't understand why GM sells a 4x4 truck with those tires as they are absolutely no good in mud.

Heck, even the "off-roads" that came stock on my 3500 4x4 were terrible in mud of any significance.

WillowCreekStable
03-26-2003, 17:16
The Firestone A/T's that came with my truck were terrible. No good in mud, no good on wet pavement, squealed at the slightest hint of a turn on dry pavement. The M+S Michelins I replaced them with perform well in all on road conditions, and better than the A/T

atvpilot
03-30-2003, 00:11
Hey Guys ,
I am new to the forum. I have an 02 2500HD D/A Crew with 27000 miles on it (used truck) and I have the Michelin tires and I gotta tell ya I really am not impressed with the Michelins that came on the truck.I noticed on wet roads or light snow covered surface the traction is bad. I will probably get rid of them in the fall and go with a different tire. Other than that I love the truck and this is definitley a keeper.

FirstDiesel
03-30-2003, 02:26
atvpilot

Which Michelins?? There are a lot. I'ver had the LTX M&S on a different truck and loved them. Will get them for this truck when tires are needed.

atvpilot
03-30-2003, 04:49
First Diesel,
Those are the exact ones that you describe. I noticed that when I went up a steep hill by my house, if I step on it the tires spin if the road was a little wet. I also had a problem backing into my drive way when I had a little snow in the driveway. It also maybe that I am driving one of the hotest diesels on the road to but then again it's just a stock Max hahahah :cool:

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: atvpilot ]</p>

FirstDiesel
03-30-2003, 08:50
If you do a search here you will be amazed at the amount of people that will disagree with your assestment of these tires. To each their own. Some people here swear by tires that I wouldn't put on my truck if they were given to me for free. I will be buying these tires again the next time I need tires based on my previous experience with them.

Kennedy
04-02-2003, 19:05
Truth of the matter is, if you want a REAL mud tire, go back to bias ply and be prepared for noise/vibration.

I have had Steeltex AT's and had VERY good service with the exception of a ply separation in the sidewall :rolleyes: which pretty much shook my confidence in Firestone.

I have the Michelin LTX MS on now and while they are decent on hwy, they aren't much in mud or snow.

For snow I have Blizzaks!

FirstDiesel
04-02-2003, 19:30
Michelin makes the LTX in 3 styles. The M/S, the A/S and the A/T. Each one has a different tread pattern and the A/T is the most aggressive.