PDA

View Full Version : Loose air filter box

Keith Richards
11-16-2004, 17:08
When I did the exhaust system a few months back,in taking the air box off ,it had some shot,rusty bolts holding it on that snapped,or at least one snapped,I cant remember.The box is now a little loose,but not sure if its a problem.I know that sounds bad but it seems sealed,in other words.In that time I have also added a k&n air filter,and just cleaned and oiled it last week ,and it was very dirty,more so than any other filter ive ever used.Is this because the k&n catches that much more dirt,or is dirt getting into the box more now that its not 100% tight?

john8662
11-17-2004, 13:09
Actually, the 97+ airboxes only have one bolt. They also have a tab that sticks out and will align with a hole in the inner fender to keep the box from being able to just spin a little or move. I'd check to see if that tab got aligned into the hole by looking underneath in the innerfender, the first hole closest to you should have the bolt and the hole closest to the engine will have a metal tab. If you broke the tab off, that would explain how it would be loose, you can get the bracket that holds on the airbox at the dealer. As far as the K&N filter, you'll see more dirt collected on this filter, because the dirt will stick to it and stay. A paper filter will not allow the fine or coarse soil to go through the filter, but will later fall out of the paper and down to the bottom of the box. It just goes with the teritory of an oiled filter. I had an amsoil in my 6.5td before swapping out airboxes for the one you have, I had to clean it every other oil change, too dirty for my tastes, but I live in a really dusty area!